Unsure is kitten is starting her first heat cycle?

Oford21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

I have a 6 month old kitten Ivy! She JUST turned 6 months on April 11th- she is due to get spayed next Thursday but I am worried that she might be about to start her first heat cycle… I think I might be in my head about this- she is a Russian Blue/ Ragdoll and she is very vocal. Tells me when she’s hungry, wants to play etc. but she is talking so much I’m wondering if this is her maybe starting to go into heat? She is not doing the other symptoms.. (low crawl, sticking but in the air, extra affection) I really am hoping it’s just her talking a lot especially since her spay appointment is next Thursday. If you have had kittens that went into heat for the first time, did all of the symptoms start at once? Or did they start showing 1 symptom and then more as time went on??
I am hoping this is not her going into heat quite yet as I prefer her to be spayed before she experiences her first heat cycle.

Any advice is helpful!!

Attachments

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t over think her every move she is also becoming young adult and developing her personality. She learned that by talking to you,she gets whatever she want. Make sure that she has no access to outdoor just in case.
she is a looker!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, what a sweetie. :hearthrob:

As for being a heat cycle or not, at 6 months, I'd say it's very possible. It's been many years since I saw a kitten in heat, but as I remember, she was only 5 months old, as back then the norm was to wait till they were 6 months to spay. She was both doing the meowing thing, and dragging her butt along the floor, and being super affectionate.

If it is your kitten's first heat, it should be over by next Thursday. Meanwhile, as Nebaug Nebaug posted make sure everyone in the household watches when opening doors to outside, as a cat in heat has an amazing ability to squeeze past legs and get out the door.