Unsure about breed

rubydearie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my cat is about two years old now and still isn't very big, despite our vet saying she is healthy and happy. When we first got her she was remarkably small and we feared she was a lot younger than we were told by the seller. Of course, we did what any pet owner would do and run test to make she she was healthy and ok. We were even more shocked to hear the vet call her a Maine Coon. When all the tests came back clear, we began trying to 'fatten her up'. Though despite the amount of food she would eat, she never really gained much weight. 

3 months old:

As time went by her hair grew thicker and she got longer, to the point where we nicknamed her 'Weasel'. At six months old, she was already 40cm long from the base of her neck to the start of her tail but only 20cm tall. Despite her small size she has always been a very active, happy cat. She plays so often our older cat (1 year older) can't keep up. She is extremely intelligent. If she sees how you open the door, she will be able to do it first try. Though she has what we refer to as 'baby ducky' personality. She is very clingy to me, as if I'm her cat mother. She loves to be held and babied, often refusing to fit anywhere but my lap. 

6 months:

Physically she does have some characteristics of a Maine Coon but size. Her fur is not as thick or lion-like as a full purebred nor does she have the fur tufts on the tips of her ears. She does have strange small curly-ish patches behind each ear. They are slightly longer and silky. Her coat can be described as nothing but silk, there is no roughness to it. She has a long flowing, dust cleaner like tail and her paws still dont seem to fit her body. Despite the center picture below she is still only about 45cm from the base of her neck to her tail and 25cm or so from her front paw to the top of her shoulders.

now:

I suppose what I'm trying to decide is should I be less concerned about her size? She only weighs about 2 kilos, but isn't overly skinny. She is a happy, active kitty who eats normally, but small. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would like to see a good pic from her aside!  Perhaps also from her above, seehing her behind and back, and the back of the neck.  @rubydearie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubydearie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The most probable she is "simply" a domestic longhair.   One of the natural stock from which the Maine Coons were purebred from.  Although not from her lineage - as we know they took the biggest ones to select from.

But Im not happy with that answer.  There is something more.  But what I cannot put my finger upon.

Somali are into that size, but they arent not mackerel tabbies.  They are either reddish, or ticked tabbies.   Of course,  a half-somali could be mackerel tabby.

I dunno, something is it.   If I just had a perfect memory!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubydearie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked at photos and charactoristics of the Blue/Silver Somali and it fits my little Weasel very well. I believe she may be a wrongly associated Maine Coon.
This would also explain why she isn't growing as much as we were told to expect. 

ladybellac17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Main coons come in all sizes and some are small. The wide M on her forehead means shes a mixed Maine Coon. The pure bread ones the M is well defined. She's beautiful and looks healthy shes just small my neighbors MC is even smaller than yours, and sweet as pie. If vet deems her healthy have no worries. Also Mc take 4 years to be adults.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The M on her forehead means nothing. All tabbies have Ms. It's just a cutesy little folktale that someone made up, propagated by horrible misinformative TV shows like Cats 101 and Breed All About It.

I have a tiny little tabby girl too! Some kitties are naturally smaller than others; as long as she's in good condition there's nothing to worry about. Fewer than 3% of cats in the US are purebred or even purebred mixes so it's unlikely she has any purebred background.