Unsettling behavior from one of my feral cats

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been taking care of a feral for the last 8 years. She responds to her name (Tiny), sleeps in her bed, hangs around the yard all day but doesn't let me pet her. Sigh! I am waiting patiently for that day when I can scoop her up.
Recently, she has started a very strange thing where she brings in half eaten carcasses of mice into her winter hut and bed. Then, she refuses to sit in her bed and I have to go out and clean out the entire space in the pouring rain. Yesterday, she pooped in her bed so I had to clean it out. As she is a cat, she won't sit in the mess.
But why is she doing this in the only shelter she has from the elements? It is much colder now and rains everyday so I am puzzled as to why she has started doing this for the first time in 8 years.
Could it be that another cat (her neighbor and nemesis who brings in kittens) is desecrating the space when Tiny is not there? They are on opposite sides of the yard so I can't see that.
Anyone have any insight into this strange behavior? How can I stop it or discourage it?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ever seen her pooping, peeing or taking in her house dead animals?
Yes, it could be another cat that wanders in the same neighborhood and occasionally uses that shelter or the night.
Is Tiny a protective cat? Does she fight for what's hers, or does she let other cat steal her food, etc?

I'm asking you this because I have three semi-ferals in my yard, and occasionally the cat of one of my neighbors comes and steal their food, and once I caught him sleeping in their bed, while my ferals were there, so clearly they don't want to get in trouble with him. It might be thesame for you Tiny, and if her name is meaning something, I think she's a small-sized cat.

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like some other cat is visiting this bed/shelter......not sure if Tiny or another cat has pooped in the bed, either way someone don't like want they are smelling in that bed/shelter.....This maybe a way of letting another cat know "my area", stay clear.....even though you have had this routine for many years, all it takes is maybe one stray male at any given time to change a given routine.......
I'm having a problem sorta like what your getting, I've recently added another a nice new bed outside but every morning I find it in complete disarray, my guess is that someone smells another cat has used that bed, even once, and don't like it.....
I'm gonna try putting the new bed in a new location and see if that helps......

Don't know if I helped you any.......Thanks for caring, Tiny is lucky you care...............