Unexplained Weight Loss

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I noticed recently that my Moms cat feels lighter when I pick him up. I am scheduling a vet appointment for their earliest availability but with the holiday it will probably be next week (I am actually on hold as I type this. EDIT: Saturday afternoon for his appointment).

• He is a 4.5 year old DSH.
  • He has always had a problem with vomiting after meals but it has drastically improved since I switched him to a poultry free diet about 6 months ago.
  • There are no changes in behavior (he has always slept most of the day, we can cover him with a blanket and he literally will be in the same spot 8 hours later).
  • No changes in activity level.
  • The only notable thing is, I think, weight loss.
  • There is a minor possibility that he has a mild behavior change since him and Rocket have been at it a little more than normal, but that could just be Rocket is in a cuddle mood and he wants no part of his nosy sister.
  • We free feed so I can't tell if he has had an appetite increase but the food seems to be eaten at a normal pace and he is still the first one in for dinner every night.
  • He goes potty outside so we also don't know if there are changes on that end, one of the downsides of indoor/outdoor.
  • His shots are up to date and he hasn't had any injuries.

If I am right and he has lost weight, I want to do a blood test and check for anything obvious including diabetes and/or thyroid issues. Anyone have any other ideas of things to specifically check for?

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain, we also free feed and our cats do their business outside so it is hard to moniter changes. I would improvise a quick litterbox (take a box and fill it with sand or dirt) to moniter his feces and all other... wastes.

At his age, it is strange that he has lost weight. Do you know his actual weight beforehand and now?

A thyroid issue is possible, so is diabetes.

Maybe, with winter here (at least in my area!) he might have a cold or something along those lines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. He usually moves around less this time of year and he is on track behavior wise but our area doesn't get a huge temperature drop. He was just over 9 before. I don't have a reliable scale here but he feels closer to my 8 pound female right now. I am hoping it's my imagination but I don't want to risk it.

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat lost weight due to stress/environmental change. Then food intolerance because I was trying to fatten him up with fish and stuff.

What I did was a vet checkup which came back fine. I set up a feeding schedule to feed him canned food at least 3 times a day, and monitor his eating without distractions. They can free feed on kibble. I am having to find foods that he likes. I am experimenting in hunger stimulants. I am removing dairy, fish, beef, grains, and dyes from his diet. Basically I am hand feeding him because he has been difficult due to not feeling well. I weigh him on my shipping scale. When I am at wits end, I give him cheap cat canned food and am crossing my fingers that the additives/dyes/grains don't make him feel sick.

If he does not eat a certain amount of calories, then he will lose weight. Each can of food has a kcal and recommended feeding amount. I found that cats that are dehydrated or that have colititis are less likely to eat.

toxicglowsticks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Im glad you are checking with the vet. I really suggest running a blood panel.

My poor Mari was diagnosed with CKD at only 5 years and her only symptom was weight loss.

I have my fingers crossed for you that all goes well!

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm. If you have recently changed to another brand of food, there might be less calories per cup, therefore he consumes the same amount of food but less calories.

Just another thought!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you guys.

He has been eating the same diet for the last six months of Natures Variety Limited dry eat plus a rotation of wet Fancy Feast Broth (which is a topper but it is the only way Fury will eat wet).I

He hasn't had a reduction in Food that I can tell. Most nights when he finished his dinner he pushes my two out of their bowls and licks all three clean.

Last edited:

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
:frown: That sounds a little worrying, weight loss with a good appetite is not normal. I would definately get a vet check up.

:goodluck:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's rather embarrassing .... but wanted to update in case someone else stumbles across this posting at some point.

Fury hasn't lost weight (okay an ounce), Link has gained weight. :paperbag:

In my defense Link is looking very skinny right now, despite it being winter, I think his coat is darkening again and giving him some contours. But he has gained a half pound in the last 6 months. I swear that cat should have stopped growing by now. He is almost 13.5 pounds and skinny, maybe he is gaining muscle? Anywho, Fury felt lighter because Link feels heavier is what it boils down to. Good news it was around time for Fury's annual exam anyways. He passed with marvelous colors. Although he was very (very) upset with me and got me good with his claws at one point. If there was any doubt, I am not his human and no substitute for his Mom when he is stressed. We decided Fury would not go to the vet without my Mom again because he ended up, somehow, on top of the cabinet in the vets and we needed a ladder to get him down.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IMG_20171127_190316_191.jpg

And here is Links most recent photo to show he isn't a fat cat despite gaining half a pound. All three are in this photo. Rocket is most obvious but Nightfury is the cat shaped shadow in the back.

And another of Link uprightish. But you can see the indent at his waist in this one sort of. He's skinny. *Sigh* cats.
IMG_20171123_073130_139.jpg