Unexplained Dermatitis

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My poor Thomas has unexplained dermatitis.

He is 4 yrs old. He's slightly overweight. He has mostly free feed of dry food and gets a small fancy feast can daily. He does get some treas and maybe I should eliminate those. He also gets lean protein from the table 3xs or so a week.

In May, we started going outside on leash like we do every year. He suddenly got an ear infection... first one. Off to the vet. He spent ages looking for fleas. My cat does not have fleas, ticks, or skin parasites and is treated with a vet rx preventative. So I was annoyed half the appointment was spent looking through hair. :(

In June, I found out rather suddenly the dry food I was feeding was being discontinued. I'm fuzzy on the timeframe exactly. But it was definitely comsistently warmer vs colder here in Wisconsin. I had plenty, so I transitioned him slowly onto another grain-free food and gave rest to my sis terrible who was habing trouble switching her older cat. At this time, I was very excited because Chewy was now selling a new free of scents and dyes version of Tidy Cats. I have asthma, and was over the moon.

Anyhow, I started using the cat litter and finished transitioned him to new kibble.

By mid July, he had a rash on his lower belly. A small one, no bigger than a cluster of 5 or so pimples. We were still going outside, so i thought he had rolled in something. There was not puss, they were not weeping, just raised and itchy as he was licking them. But within a week he had licked a huge area naked... and raw spots grew from bumps. I tried some hydrocortisone for pets and a spray that made things waay worse but got no results. So we went to the vet. Like, his entire leg was bald and screaming angry with small raw open hotspot wounds. (Again, vet spent 60% of time looking for fleas we do not have). He ruled out ringworm, mange, etc and took a scraping. It came back slightly infected, but after ruling out other skin conditions, that it was a reaction to something. He said, no way it could be. the litter. He also said basically all shelf foods are contaminated with allergens and only a vet rx would rule out food, but based on what I was feeding and had been feeding, it probably wasn't food. He was "sure" this was dermatitis from a bite. Mosquito, flea, tick, spider or something. He prescribed antibotics and steroids.

We did that and he healed insanely fast.

I went back to a cat litter I like and was using for years before the tidy cat free swap, it is also unscented. I spent an hour reading food bags to find a grain free, no soy, egg, wheat, dairy, corn... food felt was good for both of us.
He's now eating Nutro Grain Free Chicken and Potato.
And I banished my poor kitty to indoors 24/7. He has been so sad. He loves going for walks in yard on his leash and smelling the bunny trails. :(

August was mostly ok, a couple times I thought he might break ou, but he. Never really did. One leg still seemed to be getting more licks, but was ok. So, I thought, time to add things back and find cause (outside, litter, ect). I STUPIDLY added a little bit of the tidy cat free as our first step. And, he seemed to get a little rash. I'm talking, 3-4 cups as a top off in his giant super size box. Maybe 10%.

I freaked, wasted $$$ in cat litter and I 100% changed and washed box. It didn't really get better, but it didn't get worse. A few little bumps popping up here and there, would heal in several days and then, more would show up. If it seemed really red, I'd cone him overnight and the lack of licking really helped. I've tried coconut oil, collide silver spray and triple antibotic ointment if I put him in a cone.

I went away early September and the week I was about to leave he had a little more than normal. I worried non-stop while away 3 days and notes what to do if I wasn't reachable. But when I came home he was mostly fine. Less red even.

This week, I've cried us to sleep every night with anxiety because he just won't get better. It's back to worse. Definitely not to the point I brought him in last, but in my opinion pretty rough.

I feel like we need a new vet, as I'm so frustrated with all the flea looking. It's not fleas. I feel like he needs steroid injections. But most important, I want to figure out the cause.

I'm looking, i guess for help. Should I try a specificly m

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol cut off

Specifically limited ingredient food line from petstore?

Skin care products?

I really don't know.

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20181012_192029.jpg

He once had a lovely patch of white :( And if you note there are two large red (one is particularly full of tiny wounds) areas. There is another spot in fur (it will be bald by morning if I remove cone he just got put in) by a nipple.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would hurt to give a strict LID only diet a try for at least 13 weeks or so. Chicken is a common cause of food in tolerances and it's in a lot of food in various forms.

Per My Vet: How Long For Food Allergies Test
Article on Feline Cutaneous Adverse Food Reactions (aka food allergies) and treatment

Here are some LID foods to try:

BLUE Basics® Limited Ingredient Cat Food | Blue Buffalo
Limited Ingredient Diet - Grain Free Cat | Merrick Pet Care
Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Limited Ingredients | Natural Balance Pet Foods
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food
Canned - Pure Vita - Natural Holistic Pet Foods
NutriSource Pet Foods
Single Novel Protein Grain Free Wet (not Raw) Food? Help!
Your favorite brands of "novel protein" canned cat food

Maybe choose one protein and stick with it for the duration of the food trial. It would be helpful to feed more canned and less dry. And more canned would help shed some of the weight.

Also maybe try putting a modified baby onesie on your cat to keep possible environmental allergens off his sore tummy area. A small dog t shirt would also work. Or a medical pet t shirt.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try another vet. Particularly if you can find a feline only practice. Are you close to a vetinary school? You might try one. Probably not cheap.

Kbschmi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried the shirt lol. I have scars to prove it!

We do feed chicken. It's his favorite.

Infact, now I'm questioning when I started to feed other fancy feast flavors. He only ate chicken (wet) for years and I started giving him other flavors now and then a yr or so ago and I feel like recently I started buying more variety packs.

Would it be foolish to do turkey? He likes real fish but he has never been crazy for fish wet food.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be foolish to do turkey? He likes real fish but he has never been crazy for fish wet food.
When our cat developed an allergy to chicken, we soon discovered that he was allergic to turkey as well. So we decided to avoid any kind of poultry/fowl altogether, just to be on the safe side, and started with a novel protein that he had never had before, such as lamb, kangaroo, pork, etc. We haven't been able to completely eliminate all of his allergy symptoms yet by making changes to his diet, but we've made significant progress, and he hasn't scratched the crap out of himself lately. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try it. Some cats that can't eat chicken are ok with turkey and duck. Others are intolerant to all poultry. Rabbit is often recommended as it's not a common protein. Fancy Feast doesn't have rabbit and other novel proteins, though, so you will need to buy a brand that does. Fancy Feast does have beef but check the ingredients for chicken. Chicken broth and eggs may be ok for some cats but not others.

Emmerence

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old post but I wanted to share my story. I had a cat that was always throwing up, skinny,losing hair & scratching. I tried everything. I finally realized she was allergic to chicken & turkey. I started giving her only seafood cat food. She gained weight & grew her hair back. I usually gave her FacyFeast Fish & Shrimp.