Uh Oh, Pantera isn't feeling well- Emergency?

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Posting this quick; I'm at this moment feverishly searching online for a 24 hour vet service... and they're all far away :argh::bawling2::bawling2::bawling2:

Pantera isn't well: the last few days she is eating and drinking water (although possibly less than normal, we're not sure), she is urinating and defecating normally (sorry for the language, I want to be clear ), but is strangely listless. Last night she had a period that she was running and jumping and chasing Pimenta, but now she only wants to lie in bed. This is totally opposite her normal behaviour : HELP!! What should I do?? :confused2:😰😰😰😰

Extra information: A few days ago, we had a large amount of insects invade the apartment. It happens every time right before a rain (and it rained heavily shortly thereafter). We saw Pantera eat at least three of them. they are similar to a winged ant, common and not genrally considered a problem. We also saw Pimenta eat at least one (and probably more), but is totally normal

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she's eating and drinking
20210818_171005.jpg
she is probably fine but monitor her. Most bugs are OK for a cat to eat but I once got an assasin bug in my apt. They are normally outside. Theses bugs are very harmful to a cat. Stink bug they will vomit but be ok. They love playing with beetles,roaches,flies,and spiders so no need for bug spray! Just bleach or a paper bag(ever seen a roach crawl backwards)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, a quick update:

I was finally able to get in touch with a 24 hour vet (it's midnight here in Rio de Janeiro, so it's not so easy). He said that the best course is to let her rest- if Pantera isn't in visible pain or discomfort, let her rest and take her to the clinic for examination in the morning. It's true that she isn't in visible pain- a human showing her symptoms would be diagnosed as clinical depression- but it isn't normal, as well as quite scary to see Pantera so lacking in energy 😱😰

*edit* I can confirm that she is eating and drinking, but it seems to be less than normal. Peeing and pooping seem to be totally normal.

Last edited:

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since she's eating and drinking View attachment 399867she is probably fine but monitor her. Most bugs are OK for a cat to eat but I once got an assasin bug in my apt. They are normally outside. Theses bugs are very harmful to a cat. Stink bug they will vomit but be ok. They love playing with beetles,roaches,flies,and spiders so no need for bug spray! Just bleach or a paper bag(ever seen a roach crawl backwards)
We are praying that this is the case. Most of the time Pantera and Pimenta hunt, play, and kill all insects but eat only a very few of them. Fortunately they never eat cockroaches or stinkbugs, only kill them and leave the remains for us to clean up. But some, like the type that resemble winged ants or temites, that's another story...

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We are praying that this is the case. Most of the time Pantera and Pimenta hunt, play, and kill all insects but eat only a very few of them. Fortunately they never eat cockroaches or stinkbugs, only kill them and leave the remains for us to clean up. But some, like the type that resemble winged ants or temites, that's another story...
I belong to bug identification and discussion on fb. Only reason I'm familiar with some bugs.the assasin bug was really freakish to look at

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I belong to bug identification and discussion on fb. Only reason I'm familiar with some bugs.the assasin bug was really freakish to look at
This is Brasil, the world capital in bugs. Before coming here I never imagined that there were so many kinds of bugs- growing up in Texas we got more lizards and snakes than bugs 😱 😱 😱

let me see if I can get get a pic of these insects for you to see

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This is Brasil, the world capital in bugs. Before coming here I never imagined that there were so many kinds of bugs- growing up in Texas we got more lizards and snakes than bugs 😱 😱 😱

let me see if I can get get a pic of these insects for you to see
The site snake identification in texas is cool and texas birds and wildlife

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok, this is a quickie, but here goes: the links shows more or less what Pantera ate. Yes, Sorry it's in Portuguese, but only the photos are relevant. It's called the male ant, and is very common here, esp. right before rain.

Formiga-Macho no Rio de Janeiro

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, this is a quickie, but here goes: the links shows more or less what Pantera ate. Yes, Sorry it's in Portuguese, but only the photos are relevant. It's called the male ant, and is very common here, esp. right before rain.

Formiga-Macho no Rio de Janeiro
Actually,I found it very interesting to see an ant fly. I googled it and saw a video of slow motion flying

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually,I found it very interesting to see an ant fly. I googled it and saw a video of slow motion flying
Generally, the problem here is that it's never one or two, it's always a swarm, and they are drawn to flourescent lights and warm bodies just like gnats :argh:

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
another update: Pantera has not left the bed since yesterday: she has changed position a few times but not place. As a result, she hasn't eaten or drank or gone to the bathroom in nearly 24 hours. I tried to offer some water but she refused. She did give me one of her classic dirty looks, so her personality is still intact :biggrin: I left a small bowl of water next to her just in case.

Asoon as I finish my current commitment, I'm taking her to the vet, who said she will attend Pantera as soon as I bring her in (roughly an hour from now, maybe less) 🤞🤞🤞🙏

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everybody for your support. I apologise for the late reply, but today was a long, busy day. After finishing the works on the building as well as my apartment (an electrical system dating back to 1965. You can imagine the labor necessary to bring it up to a reasonably modern level 😓😓 ) I was able to take Pantera to the vet. It's close by, I put her in the carrier and went on foot.

First of all, upon arriving when I tried to take her out of the carrier she broke the carrier. It was the type that's a plastic shell of two parts that snap together. Even completely listless (or so she seemed) she broke the catch that holds the two parts together. So, now I'll need to buy a new carrier...

About the important part: The vet did the usual initial tests. Pantera's heartbeat, breathing, and temperature were all normal (no fever :woohoo: ), The vet drew some blood for tests. The results will be ready tomorrow. The important part is that the vet gave Pantera an injection that she said was for the pain and nausea. She gave a prescription, but said today and tonight give her Dipirona (an analgesic, I don't remember the name used in the US) and do whatever is necessary to get her to eat and drink water (she went 24 hours without leaving the bed, no food, water, or bathroom). The prescription was for 1) Gaviz, an anti-nausea 2) Cobavital, an appetite stimulant (for people, interestingly enough), and 3) more Dipirona as necessary. All of this is the initial stage, unless the blood exam turns up something.

Well, That injection seemed to have done the trick. As soon as we got home, Pantera went straight for the food dish and emptied it. She is still clearly not 100%, but we haven't done anything: she is eating, drinking water, and cleaning herself multiple times without our intervention. At this rate, Pantera seems to have already turned the corner. An interesting detail: of course the vet put Pantera on the scale. She never regained all the weight she lost last year due to the parasites, but seemed to enjoy being lighter (she ran daily even more than usual), but did regain most of it. Her less than peak weight is now exactly 4.6 kg, or 10lbs. 3 ounces. That's more than some of the Toms around here. So, my impression is that the vet gave the equivalent of the classic line "take two aspirin and call me in the morning" and it seems to be working.

Breathing a massive sigh of relief; so far so good 🤞

Last edited:

lucho

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Apologies for the delay in updating this thread; life goes on, whether we're ready or not. Pantera has recovered and is back to her usual self. Pimenta is not too happy about that...

The results of the blood exam were mostly normal, except for linfócitos (lymphocites?) and monócitos (monocytes?) being low. The vet wants to have both Pantera and Pimenta tested for FLV/FELV but said that we could wait a bit to do them. Once the injection wore off Pantera stopped eating and drinking again. Once I was able to get her to eat she recovered quickly: I started by giving her the sauce from wet food on a spoon. From there I worked up to the solid parts. Then I gave her tuna and bits of turkey; yes, I was spoiling her, but the vet did say to use whatever necessary to get her to eat. So, like humans if cats can eat and keep it down they'll be fine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for the update and I hope that things continue to get better. Yes, she does have to eat so you are doing the right thing to try to get her to.