Type Of Domestic Longhair?

spirit_guide

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Newbie here! :)

My partner and I are looking to adopt a cat (pics below), as you can see he is quite the cutie and is a rather big boy for 1.5 years of age! Not that it matters, but having learned of Norwegian Forrest cats and Main Coons some time ago, I've had fad a fancy for getting one of those. I've been swayed by various people to instead get a cat that's in need of rescue or a new home.

We immediately fell for this guy when we saw his details, and it's just occurred to me he has a triangular face, the green eyes, and the right size limbs and body for his age to be mistaken for one of the forest cats. But he looks to be missing the tufts at the end of his ears and in-between his claws.

This really isn't a factor in whether we adopt this boy or not, but it's a burning question of intrigue! Do you think he looks like one of the forest cats or could he just be a large domestic longhair of no specific breed? Maybe he actually is a forest cat, or has partial genetics? What do you guys think?

Cheers!

368245_0.jpg

368246_0.jpg

368247_0.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
He would be called a black and white bicolor (in the harlequin pattern) Domestic Longhair.
He is a pretty good lookalike to an NFC, so I suppose some influence is possible (those lynx tips and toe tufts are really only seen in the highest NFC pedigrees), but without papers he would still be considered a DLH. He's handsome for sure!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First off, welcome to TCS.

He's a beautiful boy indeed, and the absence of lynx tips really isn't a factor, since many Maine Coon Cats and Norwegian Forest Cats are also absent lynx tips. Here's one of the great NFCs of all time - Supreme Grand Champion Nordlys Alondite of Mythvision:

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~nordlys/titlecat2005/alon_title2.jpg

International Second Best Cat for the 2005 show season (and consistently one of the highest scoring NFCs in the history of the cat fancy), with no lynx tips in sight.

Without a pedigree or DNA marker examination, one can't really be certain of your new kitty's heritage, although he might very well have one of the giant breeds in his genetic background.

Norwegian Forest Cats have a distinct triangular skull shape, albeit buried in their long flowing hair, and males do tend to be on the large side. Here's my little Bob:

bob_scottiecat.jpg

Taken at about thirty-three pounds. He's about concluded his fifth year growth spurt, and has now just barely crossed the thirty-five pound / 112 cm threshold, hence, if your lovely Harlequin Bicolour boy has giant breed genes, he might well continue growing until your cat food budget is broken completely for another three and one half years. While I don't see anything which points directly to Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest or Siberian genetics, perhaps abyeb abyeb or @stefanz or Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico might see something which I've overlooked.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First off, welcome to TCS.

He's a beautiful boy indeed, and the absence of lynx tips really isn't a factor, since many Maine Coon Cats and Norwegian Forest Cats are also absent lynx tips. Here's one of the great NFCs of all time - Supreme Grand Champion Nordlys Alondite of Mythvision:

http://www5b.biglobe.ne.jp/~nordlys/titlecat2005/alon_title2.jpg

International Second Best Cat for the 2005 show season (and consistently one of the highest scoring NFCs in the history of the cat fancy), with no lynx tips in sight.

Without a pedigree or DNA marker examination, one can't really be certain of your new kitty's heritage, although he might very well have one of the giant breeds in his genetic background.

Norwegian Forest Cats have a distinct triangular skull shape, albeit buried in their long flowing hair, and males do tend to be on the large side. Here's my little Bob:

View attachment 190629

Taken at about thirty-three pounds. He's about concluded his fifth year growth spurt, and has now just barely crossed the thirty-five pound / 112 cm threshold, hence, if your lovely Harlequin Bicolour boy has giant breed genes, he might well continue growing until your cat food budget is broken completely for another three and one half years. While I don't see anything which points directly to Maine Coon, Norwegian Forest or Siberian genetics, perhaps abyeb abyeb or @stefanz or Alejandra Rico Alejandra Rico might see something which I've overlooked.
I can say he is not a bengal :flail::flail::flail:
I think your reasoning and explanation are great, and I am still impressed at any picture of your Bob, he looks massive!
S spirit_guide I think your soon-to-be pet is such a lovely boy, he has quite a sweet face! Does he have a name?
About the adopt vs buying thing, I hace mixed feelings. I think we can do both things (It is what we do in my family). You can adopt and, at the same time, buy a second cat (ir dog, or whatever other domestic animal you may like), as long as you do it from an ethic breeder who is contributing to breed happy and healthy cats that meet the standard.
You can also adopt retired queens or studs from breeding programs, which is a way of acquiring a purebreed who actually needs a forever home. These cats are usually superb and still young enough as for sharing many good years of happyness.
There are, too, some organizations devoted to find forever homes for purebreed cats that for any reason need a new family.
Just for you to know, in case that you decide that you need a companion for your new cat ;)