Two week anniversary :-)

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today is my 14th day as a first time cat owner, having brought home Gracie from the rescue center.  She is a grey short-hair about 7 months old.  Sweet-natured, affectionate, always climbing atop me like I was a statute of Lincoln, LOL.

My biggest challenge thus far, I think, was food.  Had no idea about what they should and should not eat.  Staff people at the rescue center said corn was a no-no, but the sample stuff they gave me to bring home contains...wait for it...CORN!  I have spent much time online getting up to speed on cats (of course you'll find contradictory opinions on the internet, so I don't believe everything I see there).  Have settled on Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Food so far.  She likes it.  Experimenting with different wet stuff for the time being.

She had a bit of a sneezing spell, so I added L-Lysine to her food for the last three days.  Sneezing is less frequent now.  Otherwise, she appears generally healthy.

All in all, it's been a very rewarding experience thus far.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your New Furbaby!! would love to see some pictures of Gracie. 

Hope she's feeling better.  Good for you to adopt a rescue kitty they make the best cats

This is a wonderful site I'm sure you will enjoy it, lots of cat lovers, lots of good advice. 

Welcome to TCS 

Last edited:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
welcome to the site! We are here to answer any questions you may have.

The shelter may have given you samples that contains corn because it was what was donated to them. They are not picky about what they get donated and they're happy to use them! What they suggest is better.

it's not uncommon for cats to get a bit of a cold when they come home from a shelter- it is stressful. But sounds like you are doing a wonderful job!

Again, welcome!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update'

It's been of month of bliss so far.  Gracie has made my home her domain.  I assembled a cat tower/condo last night.  Boy, that was a lot of work.  Gracie didn't help matters by stretching out and lounging on the pieces before I could fully assemble the darn thing.  After an hour or so of work, I placed Gracie in the upper level of the tower.  She seemed UNIMPRESSED and made her way to the ground floor to lay like a rug.  Thanks a lot Gracie! LOL.

Her sneezing fit ended a couple of days after I began to add L-Lysine to her food.  Hope that's the only medical condition that we will need to deal with.  She obviously dislikes the the "dental rinse" I added to her water bowl because on the two occasions I placed it in her water-bowl, she hardly drank.  There's 8 bucks out the window.  I think I will donate it to the shelter.

I've been surprised that she has eaten EVERYTHING that I have presented to her, both dry and wet.  Her menu thus far has been; dry...Rachael Ray Nutrish and Purina One Kitten Formula.  Got a bag of Evolve Grain-Free waiting in the cupboard. Wet has included assorted Friskies formulas.  Two cases of Fancy Feast were delivered last week. I gave her a can of some relatively pricey Iams wet formula yesterday.  Clearly she wasn't overwhelmed because she took her time to eat it.  I was happy to see that my girl drinks a lot of water throughout the day.

The cat harness I purchased online was delivered yesterday.  I plan to take Gracie for a walk in the (dog-less) park when things warm up a bit.

She has eagerly shown her playful side.  She will periodically chase me around the house,clutching to my pant leg WITH HER CLAWS, but she doesn't hurt me.  And while sitting near me on the couch, when she does show her fangs, she does not bite down hard on my hand.  Thanks sugar because both your teeth and your claws are sharp!