Two new cats

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!
Just adopted two new cats, our black cat is Franklin he is 3 and was in a kill shelter :( . Zoe is a 10 week old kitten. They were not a bonded pair at the shelter but were around eachother for a week or so. We’ve had them for about 2 months , they cuddle from time to time and Zoe sometimes grooms Franklin but sometimes when they play it makes me nervous. As a new cat owner I’m not sure what is normal
I work from home so can keep an eye on them all day. This happens every day once or twice a day they start playing nice and then they both have eachother ina. Choke hold bunny kicking, or biting each other’s necks... the kitten usually starts it and doesn’t leave Franklin be. The kitten is bigger now so she can get up from under him and run away or play back but once in awhile I’ll hear her meow / cry and I break them up by making a. Loud noice. I’m just nervous I can’t tell if this is normal cat playing or if I should be concerned

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS! :hithere:
Thank you for rescuing Zoe and Franklin. I love the names!
Cats like to play rough and sometimes it is hard to know if they are fighting or playing. If it turns out they are fighting, I wouldn't recommend making a loud noise as this could stress them out even more.
These articles might help you: Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight – TheCatSite Articles
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds normal.
When kittens play together and someone plays too rough, one of them will let out a cry and mom will break it up. If they didn't get the chance to learn what's too rough, they may not know when to stop.
It's perfectly fine for you to break them up if someone gets too rough, but they'll most likely go back to playing again.
Just make sure the rough play is what you break up, not the play itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jesszoefranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much everyone. I won’t make loud noises anymore I read online to make a noise tk break them up do you have any alternatives? When I approach them they keep going and I don’t want to physically break them up by removing the kitten.
The kitten does meow loud sometimes and then will leave Franklin alone , I also think he is learning what is too rough bc I see him back up sometimes and walk over
Hello and welcome to TCS! :hithere:
Thank you for rescuing Zoe and Franklin. I love the names!
Cats like to play rough and sometimes it is hard to know if they are fighting or playing. If it turns out they are fighting, I wouldn't recommend making a loud noise as this could stress them out even more.
These articles might help you: Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight – TheCatSite Articles
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have!
Great thanks for the linked articles those are really helpful!