Two New Cat Behaviors, Feeling Overwhelmed

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I've had my cat Caine for over a year and he's just started doing some new things which aren't good for either of us. The first is chewing cords, like power cords. The second is walking on everything, including unstable/unsafe surfaces.

I wonder if he's trying to get my attention, since I took a few two-day trips in december for the holidays. But I've been giving him extra treats and playing with and petting him more this month to try to counteract it. It could also be that he's becoming more brave and is seeing everything as a toy or a playspace. Anyway I need to find a solution to this so that I feel safe leaving him alone, and I don't have to constantly monitor him when I'm with him. I also don't want him to destroy anything, but I don't want to have to do all my work on my laptop in a different room cause that would make him lonely.

I could of course remove all electronics and all small furniture/decorations from any space he has access to, but this would be a drastic lifestyle change and I'm hoping it's unnecessary. It doesn't seem like he has all that much fun chewing cords and trampling my laptop and nearly falling off things, which leads me to hope he'll get bored of it but i cant be certain. I don't know what he wants. I haven't done anything about it yet, so it's about time to find a solution.

What are your thoughts on this? Thank you very much

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Since it is a recent event, you might be right about the attention getting behavior. But, if that is so, it should calm down on its own the longer you are home. The biting of cords can be resolved by buying tubing that the cords are run through.

I don't know why he would all of sudden be walking on items that have decorations on them that he can knock off, if he hasn't done it before. But, if he doesn't have a cat tree to climb on, you might want to consider getting him one. It would be especially nice if it could be placed in front of a window where he could look out.

Is he neutered?

I am sure other members will soon come along and see your post and have some other tips/advice to offer!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. Since it is a recent event, you might be right about the attention getting behavior. But, if that is so, it should calm down on its own the longer you are home. The biting of cords can be resolved by buying tubing that the cords are run through.

I don't know why he would all of sudden be walking on items that have decorations on them that he can knock off, if he hasn't done it before. But, if he doesn't have a cat tree to climb on, you might want to consider getting him one. It would be especially nice if it could be placed in front of a window where he could look out.

Is he neutered?

I am sure other members will soon come along and see your post and have some other tips/advice to offer!
Thank you for the help. He does have a cat tree, which he used frequently until also about a month ago. Maybe if I move it he will feel better and not need to go on other things so much. He already has a chair placed so that he can look out the window, he uses it a lot. Yes he is neutered. I will look into cord tubing, I'm worried that he may like chewing that more than the cords themselves so I'll try other deterrents first. Thank you again

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you bitter apple the cords, or get some PVC pipe or something like that and encase the cords?
Maybe something here will help;

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
Thank you very much. I checked out all the links. The second one seems to have disappeared and been replaced by this, for future reference: <19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com>

I have gotten him many of these toys before (at least one of each type), and I make homemade toys which are more durable and safe for his play style. I think he would like the ripple rug, I'll consider getting it.

I think he needs a path across high surfaces, like the last link was saying. He may be using all my furniture in that way, causing part of this issue. The problem is that he seems to want very efficient paths, through the center of the room and between his favorite places. I don't know if I can do this for him. If it were just on the sides it would be easier, he can already do that with the back of the couch and chairs. Maybe I'll find a way.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he liked the cat tree then didn't I'm wondering if it didn't tilt while he was on it. Of course, it didn't fall over completely, but even a noticeable tilt could have been very distressing for him. Wherever you move it be certain it's well anchored either by wires to studs in the wall, or to the floor or with a large piece of furniture over part of the base. And be careful with the guy wires. You might want to put pvc piping over them to keep them from cutting kit.

I know you said you didn't want to, but I'd put the breakable bric-a-brac away until this phase passes. Painting the electric wires with bitter apple or Tabasco sauce is fairly good at stopping chewing and works immediately. You usually don't have to do it a second time. The smaller the wires the more tempting.

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since he liked the cat tree then didn't I'm wondering if it didn't tilt while he was on it. Of course, it didn't fall over completely, but even a noticeable tilt could have been very distressing for him. Wherever you move it be certain it's well anchored either by wires to studs in the wall, or to the floor or with a large piece of furniture over part of the base. And be careful with the guy wires. You might want to put pvc piping over them to keep them from cutting kit.

I know you said you didn't want to, but I'd put the breakable bric-a-brac away until this phase passes. Painting the electric wires with bitter apple or Tabasco sauce is fairly good at stopping chewing and works immediately. You usually don't have to do it a second time. The smaller the wires the more tempting.
I don't really have a cat tree that can tip, it's a different type ^ ^" it's a little difficult to explain, sorry. My mom likes to make furniture out of other furniture she dumpster dives for, so it's a little ugly (don't tell her i said that) but it's stable.

I didn't end up doing my work in a different room, but I did cut up and re-tape a cardboard box to make a temporary wall-mounted electronics setup. Peace has been restored for now, although he won all the furniture for himself... lol

Thanks for the response though!

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Chilli does similar things sometimes when she wants attention, food, or most often play. I have noticed it more often when I have a routine change, like being gone at different times or more/less often than usual. I think she tends to get slight separation anxiety at times. She chews on plastic or walks along the very high edge of my loft because she knows in both cases I will come and interact with her (by telling her to stop doing those things)! In my case it has been somewhat easier to stop those dangerous behaviors, simply by always putting away plastics and recently blocking off the loft, but otherwise what’s helped Chilli most is a strict daily routine. Having specific times and an order for when she wakes up, eats, plays, sleeps, sees me leave and come home, gets pets, gets litter box cleaned, etc. Obviously when I leave and return to the house can’t be as strictly maintained, but I think the other things were helpful for her.

calico man

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For Meto and all TCS members with cat issues: it would be SOOOOO much easier if only our kitties could talk!!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Amazon carries reasonably priced cord covers for everything from charger cords to thick cable like cords. And as far as things setting around, two things work. First use boxes or baskets to set things inside making it much more difficult for the cat to knock them over. Second, if you can’t put items in a box, you can use Velcro to attach them so they can’t be knocked down