Two kittens stopped eating suddenly

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I'm
New to this site and wanted to see if anyone had any advice for two kittens not eating? They are both siblings and eat like little pigs, about 6 months old. Yesterday all of a sudden they both won't touch their wet food, a few bites here and there and eating their dry food somewhat but just seems weird. Acting completely normal, playing a lot, going to the bathroom, everything seems totally fine.just wondering if anyone has seen this happen? I did recently move them from my parents house to my apartment so maybe that's it. They are both very healthy and we're just at the vet last week doing great. I plan to take them to the vet again Monday but anyone have any advice of have had this happen?
Thanks!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
danielle4522,

It's been how many days they are like that? And how recent is the move? Maybe it's a new place and they are still getting accustomed to it. If their activities are normal, should be ok but please observe for a few more days. If they are totally not eating, maybe you can shift their meal spot to another area. If still not eating, could it be the food? If not, then it's a visit to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
danielle4522,

It's been how many days they are like that? And how recent is the move? Maybe it's a new place and they are still getting accustomed to it. If their activities are normal, should be ok but please observe for a few more days. If they are totally not eating, maybe you can shift their meal spot to another area. If still not eating, could it be the food? If not, then it's a visit to the vet.

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is going on the third day now. They lick their gravy off their food which they usually just chow down on and walk away to play! Tried three different spot to eat and tons of different foods. They eat treats and that's it. They are going to the vet tomorrow but I'm just concerned it very serious?

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
How many times a day are they having their meals? Both kittens doing the same thing?

Maybe you can try skipping one meal and when they are hungry enough they'll eat.

Anyway, you are bringing them to the vet tomorrow already, just check with the vet and see what the vet says.

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes oddly enough they are both doing it and both started not eating on the same day, not drinking much either and barely going to the bathroom but still seem fine? It makes me worry it's feline leukemia or something serious, since they are siblings. They normally eat three times a day and now I'm lucky if they lick the gravy once
But yes hopefully the vet cAn give me some answers

danielle4522

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Had the vet check them today, didn't want to wait and they couldn't find anything wrong, all results came back normal( temperature and blood work),gums look good I guess. So they gave them fluids to keep their systems hydrated and moving? Anyone know if fluids work well for cats in this situation? They did eat a little but not much. Not sure what to do from here? They seem Totally fine

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Had the vet check them today, didn't want to wait and they couldn't find anything wrong, all results came back normal( temperature and blood work),gums look good I guess. So they gave them fluids to keep their systems hydrated and moving? Anyone know if fluids work well for cats in this situation? They did eat a little but not much. Not sure what to do from here? They seem Totally fine
Maybe others with similar experience would be able to share their thoughts. Hang in there for now and see what others has to say about this.

Meanwhile maybe try giving them snacks so that they at least are eating something.

Sisterlove

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I'm
New to this site and wanted to see if anyone had any advice for two kittens not eating? They are both siblings and eat like little pigs, about 6 months old. Yesterday all of a sudden they both won't touch their wet food, a few bites here and there and eating their dry food somewhat but just seems weird. Acting completely normal, playing a lot, going to the bathroom, everything seems totally fine.just wondering if anyone has seen this happen? I did recently move them from my parents house to my apartment so maybe that's it. They are both very healthy and we're just at the vet last week doing great. I plan to take them to the vet again Monday but anyone have any advice of have had this happen?
Thanks!
I have 2 kittens, siblings and about 6 months old. They are doing this exact same thing. Any progress or advice. Can you tell me what you found out?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
Have there been any changes other than the move?
If you moved into an apartment did they do a bug bomb or something like that before you moved in?
In my area apartment management will set off a big bomb or fogged prior to a new move in.
Is anyone in your household on any topical medications or even Rogain?
If carpeted, are they chewing on the carpet?
Was the apartment recently painted? Can you smell any paint fumes?
Do you ever leave hair ties or rubber bands around they could eat?
Have you used any topical flea treatments on them?
Have you changed their diet or added any supplements?
Have they had a bath? ( not suggesting it)
Have they been vaccinated recently? If so, with what?
Have you looked at their teeth and gums?
Do you have any essential oils in the house? Or use any “ natural” cleaning products?
Have they been tested for FELV/FIV?
Do you have any plants or flowers in the house?
Do you come into contact with other cats?
If you take the dry food away, do they eat the canned?
Have they had any access to Lillies?