Two Kittens Bombard Me Every Morning

Bluesun1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

We recently adopted two kitten brothers out of a litter of four we were fostering. They are about 12 weeks old. To my surprise, life was easier when there was four! When their siblings were adopted to another family, it was just the two of them and, although they do enjoy each other and play quite a bit, every morning after I feed them they follow me around the house crying, try to climb my leg, and even will jump on my back or shoulders unexpectedly if I bend over, scratching me in the process. As I’m typing this, one is behind me trying to play with my hair and scratching my neck! While the other one is trying to get my foot. I was not expecting this issue with two! When there were four, they would come up to us and say hello now and again but for the most part they played with each other. I kept two to avoid this whole issue and I’m really frustrated. I love them dearly but this is a difficult routine to live with right now. I feel like they’ve taken over my whole morning routine. I used to really enjoy getting up and relaxing in the morning and now it feels very stressful. I have a 10-year-old daughter who loves playing with them, but I’m always up before her so the kittens have their focus on me. I guess I should be happy that they are so interested in me but this is not fun. I’ve tried encouraging them to focus on their toys—cat wand, balls, their tree... but they immediately return around come back and try to climb on me!

Any advice?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. (1) get up; (2) go to food dish (lol, but important b/c human = slave!); (3) hurry up to do essential stuff; (4) when they come for you, go shower; and MOST IMPORTANT (5) only play with them when you are ready, not when they terrorize/guilt you into it.

Got nothing for you beyond that, but in all seriousness, cats are creatures of habit/ritual & the belly, so provided you feed them right off, they will get that you don't play till your out of the shower or whatever, provided your consistent. Well, they will get it eventually anyway.

P.S. I've never had 4, but the way it works with 2 is that they are on average 75% as focused on you. However, there are two so the math can be a bitch (2 x .75 = 1.5). Well, I'm only partly serious, all are different and it will dramatically change over their lives, but yes, 2 kittens are not generally easier than 1.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bluesun1967

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. (1) get up; (2) go to food dish (lol, but important b/c human = slave!); (3) hurry up to do essential stuff; (4) when they come for you, go shower; and MOST IMPORTANT (5) only play with them when you are ready, not when they terrorize/guilt you into it.

Got nothing for you beyond that, but in all seriousness, cats are creatures of habit/ritual & the belly, so provided you feed them right off, they will get that you don't play till your out of the shower or whatever, provided your consistent. Well, they will get it eventually anyway.

P.S. I've never had 4, but the way it works with 2 is that they are on average 75% as focused on you. However, there are two so the math can be a bitch (2 x .75 = 1.5). Well, I'm only partly serious, all are different and it will dramatically change over their lives, but yes, 2 kittens are not generally easier than 1.

Thanks for the response! The first thing I do when I get up and say hello to them and feed them. While they are eating, I scoop their litter box and begin making myself some tea, which is my must-do ritual each morning to 11feel sane! I usually go sit on my couch and check my email on my phone for work. And, usually they come bounding in next to me..and the climbing and playing on me begins!

I’ve raised a lot of puppies but very few kittens in my life and I am trying to understand how to work with them in a positive approach, with the understanding that they don’t really respond to “punishment“. But if one is climbing on me, the natural reaction for me is to say a firm no and put them down. When I see they are going to be still and not jump on me again I praise them. But sometimes it’s happening so fast, I’m not sure if they are really catching when I’m trying to show them.

Guess I need a little training advice, if that’s even possible. One kitten in particular just loves climbing on me and literally leaps onto my back without warning. He is super affectionate so it’s all coming from a good place from him but it’s definitely not something I am enjoying. He’s the kind a cat that forces his face up and to mine and gives kisses and rubs and purrs. I appreciate the affection but sometimes it’s just too much.

This morning after peelimg them off me couple times and telling them no....I left them alone in the living room and went to my little office to have some alone time. I suppose if I continue that pattern, maybe they will learn that jumping on me will just make me leave the room! But I would like to be able to enjoy being where I want to be and not having to leave the room because of them. I want to make sure I’m training them and not the other way around!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah a loud "no" -- loud enough to be startling -- is considered good for stuff like biting/climbing. Although once they get to the back your screwed if your the only one up -- been there!