Two 7-month old kittens from the same litter, one is too skinny and one is getting chunky...

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a pair of 6-month old kittens, Loki and Pen Pen, from the same litter 1 month ago. Lately I noticed Loki (brother, the black cat) is getting a bit chubby.

When I adopted them, the shelter said the boy was the biggest one from the litter and will probably grow to 13 to 15 lbs. And his sister is the runt and will only reach 7 to 8 lbs. They've been neutered and spayed.

When they're firstly arrived, I fed them wet food two times per day (3 oz can one can at a time, split between the two) and dry kibbles throughout the day, same practice as their froster home. I noticed Loki always eat way more wet food and pen pen would eat dry all the time (she's not picky but she has preferences).

Then I read a lot on raw feeding and this latest week I've been trying to increase their wet food and add some raw food to their diet, so I can reduce the dry kibbles.

My current schedule is: two 3 oz. can wet food in the morning, 3 pieces freezer dried raw rabbit nugget at lunch hours, one 3 oz. can wet food plus 2 raw nuggets for dinner. I put out 1/4 cup dried venison jerky for them to graze during the day, and add 1/4 cup grain-free dry kibbles at night so they don't wake me up at 6AM.

Loki had a bit diarrhea when I adopted him but has almost stopped after I reduced kibbles (his poop is still a bit soft but he looks very energetic all the time), so I think the current food is better for him.

His sister is super tiny and extremely active. And I feel like she's finally putting on a bit weight lately.

I just weighed them yesterday. Loki is 8.5 lbs and Pen Pen is 5.2 lbs. But I feel like Loki is getting big really fast and he now looks a bit chubby. I'm a first time cat owner so I cannot tell if he's just growing or getting fat. I really don't want him to get overweight when he's so young.

I thought about feeding them separately but it's most impossible because Pen Pen eats very small amount at a time. If I don't put food there, she will not get enough food. But as long as there's food, Loki will also eat some too.

What should I do?

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Pen Pen definitely needs access to more food. Maybe you can obtain a feeder that's activated by her microchip (although there are cats that learn this system and will figure out how to eat when the feeder has been opened), or set up a big clear box with a chip activated entry just for her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Pen Pen definitely needs access to more food. Maybe you can obtain a feeder that's activated by her microchip (although there are cats that learn this system and will figure out how to eat when the feeder has been opened), or set up a big clear box with a chip activated entry just for her?
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into the feeder. They're not microchipped yet but I think it's rather easy to do and cause no discomfort? Do you think Loki is at a proper weight or should I limit his food?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
His sister is super tiny and extremely active. And I feel like she's finally putting on a bit weight lately.
Just an info, male cats are bigger in size as compared to female cats and of course heavier in weight. So Pen Pen is not going to be as big as her brother. Just as long as she's eating fine, playing and have normal pee and poop sessions, I would not worry that much.

Best is feed them with wet food meant for kittens as they are in the growing stage, wet food is good as they are full of proteins and nutrients with real meat which aid them in their formative year and on top of that, wet food keeps them hydrated. Feed them as much as they can eat at one sitting and several times a day. They need all the food as they burn off calories very fast as they are very active.

Or you can get wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages' and you can feed this throughout their kitten lifetime they are adults and can still continue with it. This way, you don't have to change the taste of food if they are not fussy eaters. Normal cat breeds mature at 1 year old while the bigger ones mature between 2 - 4 years old.
Wet food with high protein and low carb is good.

From now till they are one year old and probably past their one year, they go through a period called growth spurt and they tend to eat more than usual. After they have entered their 1 year, the food intake will taper down. From there, they need around 250 calories a day if they are normally active. You can find the calorie amount stated on the can.

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As long as Pen Pen stays healthy, it doesn't matter whether it is lighter or not. However, you can also try to get her to eat more meals. Buy an automatic feeder and set up different types of food for her at different times. Find a feeding method that suits her.