Tuna or fish

elizabeth1st

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the C/W (conventional wisdom) on feeding cats fish, tuna or salmon. I opened a tin of sardines for myself and kitties went berserk.
Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A little fish here and there is fine.  Cats do really like sardines.  I keep a few cans of fish cat food and give it to them every once in a while.  I also give them a little pinch of human tuna when I open a can because they are always right there begging for it.  Tuna and yogurt are the only two human foods that they beg for and I always give in with a little tiny bit.  Fish just shouldn't be a big part of their diet.

gravekandi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As long as its salt free and you give them very little and only as a rare treat its perfectly fine :D

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of us raw/home-cooked feeders regularly feed sardines packed in water to our cats. I split a tin of them between my 3 cats once or twice a week.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My boy gets an occasional sardine in springwater but he won't eat even a tiny can in the course of a week so have to freeze bits of waste (I HATE fish).  I'll give him a bit of tuna spring water and a tiny flake of tuna on the odd occasion I open a can but that's it. Partly because he'd start to pester for it and partly because of the high levels of toxins in it now like mercury.

night wing

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat likes tuna, but won't touch salmon. But he loves cod.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As an occasional treat--and if your cat doesn't have a problem with UTIs, I think fish is okay.
Ritz use to be 'addicted' to Fancy Feast Classic seafood flavored canned food; that is the only food she would eat.
I transitioned her to raw, and during the first few months I would oofer her a sardine, but she wouldn't touch it.
Ritz is prone to stress induced UTIs, so I don't feed her any fish.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Cats can get UTI's from stress??
Yes, it is pretty well-researched. Here's one study on it. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16579769

An easier to understand interpretation from here: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=612
Why Do only some Cats get FIC?

We know that cats that get this syndrome have a unique imbalance in the way their brain controls hormones. In other words, these cats are unusually sensitive to environmental stress and, due to a complicated cascade of metabolic events, stress manifests in the urinary tract.

hakeemtarabulsi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@elizabeth1st

Well, technically, Tuna, Salmon & Sardine are kinds of fish by the end, unless you meant Freshly Fished Fish

On a serious note, I'm regularly feeding canned tuna to my cats, 3 to 4 full meals per week, and honestly can't find any reasonable cause to have some worries, although some cat keepers are showing sort of reservations on feeding tuna to their cats. On the other hand, I tried only few times to feed sardine to my babies, but it was not so acceptable as much as tune.

My 'personal' opinion through my 'little' experience, go ahead and don't deprive your kitties of a fancy meal

Last edited:

bbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats go mad for tuna and sardines.  I was advised my the vet to feed fish in oil to them once a week because of them won't touch cod liver oil which he recommended for her joints.  They all have lovely coats.

tnyc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

@elizabeth1st

Well, technically, Tuna, Salmon & Sardine are kinds of fish by the end, unless you meant Freshly Fished Fish

On a serious note, I'm regularly feeding canned tuna to my cats, 3 to 4 full meals per week, and honestly can't find any reasonable cause to have some worries, although some cat keepers are showing sort of reservations on feeding tuna to their cats. On the other hand, I tried only few times to feed sardine to my babies, but it was not so acceptable as much as tune.

My 'personal' opinion through my 'little' experience, go ahead and don't deprive your kitties of a fancy meal

I dunno... 3 -4 full meals sounds like a LOT of salt. And...

"Tuna can be fatal to cats and is not something to be fed to them...The human variety of tuna fish contains an enzyme that destroys vitamin B1 (thiamine). Cats who regularly eat tuna can develop a vitamin B1 deficiency, which results in neurological symptoms like dilated eyes, loss of equilibrium, seizures and death if this vitamin is not replaced. The scientific name of this disease is polioencephlomalacia.

Although it is high in protein, tuna lacks sufficient amounts of certain amino acids, mainly taurine, to maintain feline health. There is insufficient calcium to balance the phosphorus; the ratio in canned tuna is 1-to-14.8. This results in bone disease. 

Many essential vitamins such as A and most B vitamins are also lacking, Brancato said. A common disease in cats fed a mainstay of canned tuna is steatitis, or yellow fat disease, an inflammation of the fat tissue in the body due to a deficiency of vitamin E."

Source: St. Petersburg Times, published May 14, 2000

Last edited:

bbarb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you TNYC I didn't know that?  Is that just tuna in cans or fresh tuna as well?  I'd always understood that the tins of tuna in brine were unacceptable but that oil was recommended because of its omega3 content.  You live and learn - no more tuna for my kitties.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I believe it is for all tuna. Tuna, being a near-top-of-the-chain predator, concentrates all toxins and vitamins in the flesh.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A little fish here and there is fine.  Cats do really like sardines.  I keep a few cans of fish cat food and give it to them every once in a while.  I also give them a little pinch of human tuna when I open a can because they are always right there begging for it.  Tuna and yogurt are the only two human foods that they beg for and I always give in with a little tiny bit.  Fish just shouldn't be a big part of their diet.
Whisky wants avocado - he doesn't get it
and lilotto loved hummus!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@elizabeth1st

Well, technically, Tuna, Salmon & Sardine are kinds of fish by the end, unless you meant Freshly Fished Fish :D

My 'personal' opinion through my 'little' experience, go ahead and don't deprive your kitties of a fancy meal :yummy:  
It's the tuna that is supposed to be bad for them because of the high levels of mercury in it.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats go mad for tuna and sardines.  I was advised my the vet to feed fish in oil to them once a week because of them won't touch cod liver oil which he recommended for her joints.  They all have lovely coats.
Aaah don't remind me of cod liver oil. I'm not sure if you're my generation or younger but it was still within the 10 years after the war and things weren't so good im England. My mum made us take a capsule of cod liver oil every day but I couldn't swallow pills. I was trying and trying and drinking water and then it burst in my mouth. Yukkity yuk yuk.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sardines are probably the best fish because they're small (not predators who have a lot of mercury in their bodies) and have a lot of omega 3 fat. Wild-caught salmon is probably next best.