Tube Feeding - Potential Problem, Urgent, Please Help

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this is an odd question, and perhaps I should have asked it before - the vet shaved his whiskers off due to where the surgery was, and they haven't grown back yet - could that be affecting his ability to "find" the bits of food in his bowl? Although I say bowl, it's actually fairly flat, more of a small plate that we have always used to give him food.
As far as I know, cats do not use their whiskers to detect the food, they go with smell sense, and some say that whiskers are almost a problem with food in deep dishes.
Nevertheless I think that the diminished perception of the world around him, especially if it's asymmetrical, might bother him to the point that he feels not quite right, I don't know...

My cat Lola lost all her whiskers due to the radiation therapy she received on her face to treat the cancer she had into he rnose, but she didn't show any trouble. They grew back some months later and were a bit shorter, more fragile and some of them were twisted, crimpled.
But, again, every cat is different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Antonio65 Antonio65 - I thought it was probably a long shot. We've all been through the wringer here lately and I am grasping at straws. He's had a few good days, I don't know why he has not eaten this morning. He's become so fussy, it's like food roulette trying to find something he will eat.

Of course we will give him a tube feed in a bit if I can't tempt him to eat on his own, but it would be a step backwards at this point, so on an emotional level it bothers me if that makes sense.

He means the world to me you know, every time I go to sleep he gets in bed with me and curls up with his head on my hand or my cheek, gives me slow blinks and little sloppy kitty kisses on my face, he's my little love and this is so so difficult.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I truly understand you, you know. I understand what it feels like when they eat one day and they don't the next day, and the worst thoughts gather in your head.
I do not know how that tube is bothering him to the point he doesn't want to eat.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really really wants dry food. I got some Iams with a small biscuit size, in case he was finding the large size of our usual dry too difficult, and he was right in that bowl. He could manage a bit, so at least I know he has had some of that.

I can't blame him for being cautious about eating, after surgery up through the throat, then having to have his gums stitched up, it was uncomfortable to eat for a while - I get that - just coming out of it with his food preferences completely different is making it difficult to find things he likes to eat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's good he's at least eating the Iams dry! If you're looking for very small kibble, perhaps Royal Canin Baby Cat would be okay for short-term use? That would have the added advantage of being very rich in calories.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good he's at least eating the Iams dry! If you're looking for very small kibble, perhaps Royal Canin Baby Cat would be okay for short-term use? That would have the added advantage of being very rich in calories.
I actually think I would like to try some kitten dry food - since he has been really fussy about the wet, and always previously preferred dried I'll happily try various different dry options alongside the wet food I am offering, and baby cat/kitten would provide him with the extra calories he needs to gain weight right now. I just want to get him eating consistently for now, *what* he is eating can be worked on once he has gained weight and had the feeding tube out for a while.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He means the world to me you know, every time I go to sleep he gets in bed with me and curls up with his head on my hand or my cheek, gives me slow blinks and little sloppy kitty kisses on my face, he's my little love and this is so so difficult.
:cloud9: that's such a lovely image.:hearthrob:
This is obviously a very frustrating journey for you, but it really sounds like you're doing your absolute best for your little boy.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well seems like I was panicking a bit about nothing on Thursday, just based on the fact he didn't eat in the early morning like he normally does - he just had most of his food intake a bit later in the day - and ended the day having had an appropriate amount of food.

Yesterday he ate well too, and today he has already had most of his daily baseline of food that he needs to maintain weight, and it's only just gone lunchtime, so if he eats some more later it will be good.

So despite a slight dip in the middle of the week, he made up for it on other days, and although he's still a bit underweight his spine feels less prominent now, after a week without a top up tube feed and no appetite stimulants. :hyper:

Spoke to the vet hospital this morning, and they want to see him early next week and if he has gained weight and his mouth is healed (looks fine to me, I got a good look this morning when he was right next to my face and did a massive yawn!) they will remove the tube and discharge him.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds positive. Here's hoping he'll finally get that tube out next week!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The tube is out! :banana1:

He hadn't gained quite as much weight as I'd have hoped, but the vet was satisfied and gave me some high calorie/normal protein wet food for adult weight gain to try him on for a while, until he is back nearer his usual weight.

He has just absolutely scoffed half a pouch of wet and I'm going to give him some more in a bit.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news!!
Did the vet give you the tube back? Just as a souvenir for these troubled days ;)
I never want to have to see a feeding tube again to be quite honest! I think this whole thing will haunt me for long enough without reminders. I was even reluctant to take a photo of him with the tube in, because even if the worst had happened I wouldn't have wanted to remember him like that iykwim.

I'm going to carry on feeding small frequent meals until his weight is more normal, it's not doing him any good if he bolts and vomits (which he is prone to). I'm here all day so it's no bother to feed him multiple times a day and gradually increase portion size and decrease frequency once he has gained more weight back.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very good, keep us posted on his improvements.

I still have the PEG tube my Lola had for about 6 weeks.
But I didn't want to keep the E-tube she had in her two days. It was removed after her death, I didn't want to see it again :bawling:

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a hungry boy this evening! He's on his 3rd small meal in 3 hours.
He seems really happy to be rid of the tube and neck bandage too, he's very bright and lively :)

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's now on his 7th small meal today - one of those he ate too fast and brought some of it back up, but the rest went down and stayed down - so today again he has had a weight maintenance amount of wet food for a cat around 800g-1kg heavier than he is currently. This is excellent :)

The feeding tube saved his life when he wasn't eating. Now he is back eating consistently, he is (at least so far) eating better without the tube and the neck bandages in place.

I can't express how happy I am that Radar seems to be doing well! I'll keep you posted with his progress or let you know if anything goes wrong. The support I've had here has been amazing, especially from Antonio65 Antonio65 - thank you so much. I also want to thank Wanstead Veterinary Hospital, he's had really good care there, not just looking after his clinical needs, but also including cuddles and affection when he was hospitalised, and dealing with me in tears at various points.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome, epona epona , I'm glad Radar is doing much better and is eating a good amount of food.
Keep eating like this, radar, eat slowly and keep it all down ;) We want you healthy and strong again!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RADAR UPDATE:

He is doing really well, all healed up, and his fur is starting to grow back. He's eating well, more than a maintenance amount, and has put some weight back on. Still has a bit more to gain, but I have stopped feeling constantly anxious now :)