Trying To Socialize A Feral - Next Steps?

ads3j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Three weeks ago I rescued the (semi?-feral) mother to my resident (10 month old - Millie) cat. She was trapped with two 12 week old kittens who are in kitty boot-camp and sure to have a new loving home together soon.

Anyway, I have been working on socializing Lilly (feral mother) little by little in a safe room. Millie (the resident cat/her kitten from a litter last year) is the first cat I have ever owned and she's a dream of a kittie - charming, funny, sweet and loving to her human parents. After 5 days alone in her safe room, with no contact from Millie, we put up a baby gate to her room and have been re-introducing Millie and Lilly to each other, meanwhile, I will visit Lilly to read, give treats and play together and she's making slow, but "good" progress. She is eating in front of me, bathing in front of me, and playing with me in the evenings, and the past two days, she will even play with me in the morning when it's daylight. She will not allow my hand too close, however, last night I left my hand by a treat that she'd just eaten and she gently touched my hand with her paw as to "feel" it, she did this a few times last night, and once this morning. We feed the girls in front of each other with the baby gate and sometimes with the door closed with the bowls close to the door. So, I've been following the steps I've been reading about, but not always in the order that most do, and with some consistency, but acknowledge not exactly. At first she was so so skittish and afraid she wouldn't even eat in front of me, so I am happy with the progress so far.

I have noticed Millie seems to really be interested in Lilly, but she seems territorial still, but not much hissing or growling anymore, but to be honest there hasn't been too much of that. I do notice that she will "chase" after Lilly (she can't really get to her with the baby gate) when Lilly seems frightened back under her chair (she stays under a chair in the room, it's her safe space). I guess my question (after such a long winded introduction) is ...

1. What are the next steps, when is it time to allow the cats to come in contact with each other? How will I know it's okay?
2. Should I wait until Lilly will allow me to touch her before I allow Millie to come into her room?
3. All the rules I've read say to let the resident cat explore the new cat's safe room while the new cat explores the rest of the house - but I am afraid if I let her out of her safe room, she'll hide and I can't get her back there, should I worry about this step?

By-the-way, I have had the general Feliway plugged in all along, even before the new cat, but yesterday purchased and plugged in the multi-cat (aggression reducer) into the outlet and today Millie, the resident cat, seems much more calm watching Lilly. She has, from the first time she saw her, tried to stick her paws into her room/cage as though she's reaching for her, and it doesn't seem aggressive. I can't tell if she is wanting to play with her or attack her.

We have regular play sessions in the evening when Lilly comes out from under the chair, she will even roll on her back and act like a little kitten, Millie watches closely and then I'll exchange some playtime with Millie while Lilly watches, they do seem to enjoy staring at each other - not sure if that's good or bad. Any tips are greatly appreciated! I am so so new at all of this.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello ads3j ads3j , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for rescuing Lily :clap: You are doing great socializing her.

It cat introduction is a process that cannot be rushed into. It takes time and done properly.

Here's some articles on cat introduction:-
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

Please keep us posted of the progress and do introduce yourself and your kitties to the community here in New Cats on the Block.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ads3j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, tabbytom! I thought I'd read everything on the internet about cat to cat intros but these are new. Much appreciated!

ads3j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a couple of questions no sites are really answering for me - about my resident cat's behavior towards the new cat. We have the baby gate up and when I am playing with Lilly through the gate (under it) Millie sometimes will sort of charge the gate and Lilly will run away for a few seconds, then return to play. Millie seems to be trying to chase Lilly, but isn't growling or hissing. Is this play? Also, she's been laying outside of Lilly's safe room even sleeping outside her door at night, rather than in the bed with me. She has also seemed a little more jumpy than usual, but at the same time very curious. Does anyone with experience introducing a semi-feral to a resident cat have any idea about this behavior? I don't want to rush things, and I'm not sure if Millie's behavior is aggression or play. Please help :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If Millie is not hissing or growling and not prowling up and down the gate and ears are in normal position and tail not wagging aggressively, it looks like Millie is in the play mode. But is her occasional charge at the gate a hard one or it's like a prancing movement like in play?

But whatever it is, just be on a cautious side and continue the gate regime and do a proper introduction.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Tabby Tom. Your cat is challenging the new cat a bit by running at the gate.

Your cat is also "guarding" the door in case the "interloper" makes an appearance.

This is progress, but should not be rushed. :)

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I think to tell you the cat's mood depends on their body language. Tail up, ears back, glaring at each other, etc. It seems like cats test each other for a reaction to try and feel each other out. Like rushing at the other cat to see what the reaction is. Hiss at the other cat to see what the reaction is. Stare down the other cat to see what the reaction is.

I took two socialized x-feral cats home two months ago and have two other rescued cats at home. A lot of curiosity at first. Then a bit of hissing. Then the odd batting at each other with paws. There is still the odd hiss and batting at each other but no rolling balls of fur, Thank God. I keep an eye on them and watch for things like a thrashing tail, stare down or ears back. If someone seems angry or upset I step in to take their attention off each other.

I don't think anyone cat tell you for certain what is going to happen when your cats start to mingle. You will have to let them feel each other out and keep an eye on their body language. If someone seems angry or tense do something to get their attention off each other.

As always reward positive behavior and ignore bad behavior. Don't ignore it in that you let the one cat kill the other cat just don't get stressed out. I feel that cats pick up on our stress and that getting stressed out also stresses the cats.

I wish you the best of luck. I am hoping my weekend goes well. It is a long weekend in Canada and I am taking all four cats to the cottage. The cats have all been there but never all four at once. Might be a little bit of tension over who gets the good spot in the screened in porch. Patience, patience and more patience is what I use to get through it.

ads3j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to each of you for your responses. I think sometimes she is playing and other times she seems a bit aggressive. But, each time, the new cat will run back and hide, but seems to come back out quickly. I'm trying to keep these sessions short and positive, but I did get frustrated with Millie last night when Lilly came to me when I called and I was (trying) to reward her with a treat, when out of (seemingly) nowhere, Millie charged, more aggressively and Lilly retreated. It seemed out of jealousy. So, I'm taking a few steps backward, keeping the door closed and feedings behind the door for now. It's just at night, Lilly seems quite playful and active and I don't want to be away from Millie either (trying to share my time) so I like to use the baby gate. But, I do appreciate the encouragement and thoughtful responses. I have so many questions, I'm sure the posts will continue ;)

ads3j

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, best of luck this weekend to you too, Shane! Hope it goes well at the cabin.