Trying to keep cats off furniture

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You will think I'm an idiot, but I recently had some antique furniture in my living room recovered, for a pretty penny. I really want to discourage my cats not only from scratching the furniture, but from hanging out on those pieces at all (I know, I dream big). Has anyone had any luck with pet deterrent sprays? Right now, I'm using Nature's Miracle Pet Block, which isn't working at all. (I'm also using Feliway, which I read discourages scratching, and so far so good). Anyone had any luck with anything else? Thanks so much.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would get them some of their own furniture and encourage them to use that instead with catnip, treats, etc. Maybe put a couple of fun cat trees right by the new antique furniture, and then hopefully they will elect to hang out there instead. You could also try getting a super fluffy blanket and putting it on the furniture with the goal of them resting on that instead of the fabric. Maybe a strategically placed cat scratcher or two by the couches as well. Good luck!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can often be taught not to go one something, just by removing many many times or or using the clap loudly method. If it works, its not instant, but if they aren't scratching it, you have time. Of course, it doesn't always work, and training them to not go one the furniture *when your around* instead of all the time, is unfortunately also possible.

If they aren't scrtaching, I'd probably try this method first, just so you dont have to have something on your furniture for potentially a long while.