Trouble Managing "Teenage" Behaviors

Paddycat2018

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Wikki is a six month old, 13 pound Maine Coon 'kitten' who is going through an unpleasant teenage phase. I won't go into his many naughty habits (walking on counter tops, disrupting jigsaw puzzles, biting when I put him to bed). Over the last week, I've been using a clicker and some delicious Tikki treats to teach him how to 'come', 'sit', give me his 'paw',...and he is doing a good job. This evening, he got on the dining room table again. I used the command 'floor', and he didn't respond. Eventually, he laid down in the middle of the table. I picked him up and sat him on the floor, using the command again. Once again, I had a bleeding scratch on my arm and a cranky teenage cat having an attack of the zoomies.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever be able to control his outbursts. I know people have suggested another companion kitten, but I'm afraid he would hurt another animal.

When he's not being a difficult teen, he can be sweet. He's a beautiful, intelligent cat. I hope I haven't gotten into more than I can handle.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why did he scratch you? It sounds like you need to go back to square one and teach him never to use his class or fangs on you. Do a high pitch ooooooowwwwwww then ignore him for 5-15 minutes every time you get the slightest hint of toys or claws! A strict toys not hands policy is needed.

A companion kitten will help teach him what hurts and what doesn’t. I would suggest getting him a nice male kitten. If you are worried about him hurting a kitten, get a 4 month old. Main Coon kitties keep growing for years. So look up how long he will grow for and make sure he gets his kitten food for as long as he needs it. Boys often like to rough house and play differently then girl kitties, hence my saying to get a boy. Jackie and Nick have been play fighting since we got them at 4 weeks old. They love each other & love to play fight. They also taught eachther boundaries when they were around 7 weeks old and kept biting each other’s balls while they wrestled. Luckily they stopped within 2 weeks! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Still this is why siblings help kitties Lear how hard they can bite or kick without really hurting their sparring partner.

The counters and tables? Get sssscat motion activated air canisters. My cat often doesn’t get off the counter until I start to get up; the little stinker!

The naughty behavior? I have a hyper cat who gets really naughty when he gets bored. I have learned that outside time is like Ritalin to hyper cats. So play with your kitty twice a day. Get him (using a wand toy) climbing up and down furniture or cat trees to tires him out. Start making and buying him interactive toys that you rotate. I keep toys for when it rains or I’m sick and Jackie has to stay inside. I also give him a box or giant gift bag with toys and tissue paper every month. I rotate what I give him so it is new every month.

His daily outside time and daily walk or two calms him down immensely. I often read while he hangs out on his long leash, then take him for a short walk. I use the kitty holster harness. Jackie runs, hunts, climbs trees, rolls around & marks his territory outside.

& we would love to see your naughty kitty Wikki! 😻

75250D97-5E47-48A8-9D67-55262F649736.jpeg

3327C5F0-9E28-420E-B6BF-A5BB27B03566.jpeg
DB29304B-BE4B-414D-968D-77F4C3127684.jpeg

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! I'm sorry about your scratch:( Wondering if you have a cat tree or shelf or some other high up place for him to hang out on in the dining room/kitchen area? It makes sense that he wants to be up high, so wondering if adding an acceptable option in that area might be helpful!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwww Wikki is adorable!!!!! How could you stay mad at him with that sweet face?!?! 😻 He will calm down; he is at his hyper-est atm. In a year or two, he should start calming down.

Perhaps instead of picking him up to move him, shake a penny can at him? (Place pennies in an empty soda can and place duct tape over the top of the can.) Or you could try calling him into another room when he is on the table (& Re awarding him with treats.) The motion activated air canisters are your best option to train him to stay off the table (when you are awake.) Because the air canisters are there 24/7 and consistent. Sticky tape can

Maybe work on teaching him to let you pick him up without injury? Start with just lifting his rib cage so his front feet are not touching the floor, then place his front feet on the ground and give him a treat. Eventually lift him from under his arms and scoop his rear (right above his tail) to pick him up, then support his feet. Practice picking him up and carrying him a few feet and placing him down, then rewarding with a treat. Eventually you will be able to carry him to anotherroom. ⭐Never give him treats for picking him off the table or he will go up there just for the treats! 🤦🏻‍♀️

A kickeroo or kicker toy is great for cats to bite, scratch and bunny kick. I took a Swiss cord (or shoe lace) and looped it around the middle of the kickeroo and gloopy fish; then dragged them a bit. ⭐Just remove the cord/ribbon immediately so the cat is not left unattended with the string .

Nick bunny kicking his kickeroo when he was about a year old:

Attachments

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats don’t like being picked up, and he could just be trying to tell you that he doesn’t like what you’re doing to him. And that’s totally valid and something you, as his person, should respect. Cats should get to have boundaries, as much as people. There are definitely cases in which a cat needs to be picked up, and that’s fine, but also something a cat that doesn’t enjoy being lifted should be slowly exposed to. My girl likes being picked up, and was exposed to it from a fairly young age. Her daddy, on the other hand, came to me after their breeder sadly passed away. He doesn’t love being picked up, but after a few weeks of exposure and positive reinforcement he tolerates it just fine when it’s necessary.
You also want to make sure you’re supporting your cat when you lift them, so they feel secure. Any injuries I’ve gotten when trying to lift one of my cats has been exclusively because I didn’t give them adequate support when lifting them, and they were scrabbling for purchase.

Cats are also curious creatures by nature, and something they’re interested in will always trump following a command, especially if you expect him to do it without a reward. Does he have vantage points around your home that are his to explore and look around your living space from? He’ll be less inclined on interrupting whatever you’re doing, or going on a counter or table where you don’t want him if he had more appealing alternatives.
Plus, he *is* still a kitten. He has loads of energy. Is he getting enough interactive play? Have you tried puzzle toys? Clicker training for non-utility commands that help you bond?
Is he neutered yet? Getting the snip is likely to help him calm down, as well.