Trivial Things That Annoy You

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you get behind someone in a checkout line, and after the total is rung up, remember that they have coupons- usually a lot of them, some of which are expired, and they have to argue over- and when finally the total is reached, they have to search in their pocket/ purse for the correct change down to the penny. All this while you are buying one item.

will2002

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you get behind someone in a checkout line, and after the total is rung up, remember that they have coupons- usually a lot of them, some of which are expired, and they have to argue over- and when finally the total is reached, they have to search in their pocket/ purse for the correct change down to the penny. All this while you are buying one item.
This!!! Happens to me all the time!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
People who hold grudges about petty issues, mostly because of jealousy.
I received a phone call last night from someone who was ranting about something
that happened in 1991?? and went on to say that whenever this person posts
on FB, she never "likes" it. Get over it, I wanted to say, but she is a family member.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Do you really want to get me started?

Driving (and dawdling) in the passing lane. I got behind Grandpa Moses in the passing lane this morning on my way to work. Speed limit is 55 and I swear he was doing 45, if that. People behind me were blowing their horns. The guy finally pulled over into the driving lane. And I blew his doors in, as did everybody behind me.

Text speak is for phones only, please. Although I don't use it even when texting. Don't email me with a bunch of text-speak and expect me to answer. Not going to happen.

The music in restaurants is so loud you can't hear yourself think. (Texas Roadhouse, I mean you! Although I guess if I drank enough margaritas, eventually I wouldn't care.)

Rick uses "myself". It makes me crazy. I also don't like to hear "irregardless". It means "regardless". Use it properly. Thank you. A supervisor used to say irregardless when he was talking to people. I finally told him about it. The next time he tried to say it and I was standing there, he stopped and said, "Regardless." And I mouthed Thank You.

Your, you're
Its, it's
They're, there, their

I'll shut up now.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
You are out driving, and there are no cars anywhere close behind you. Someone pulls out right in front of you like their house is on fire- and then drives 10 mph under the speed limit, or worse, immediately stops to make a left turn.
YES!

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People who insist it's correct to say "The Stevens asked Tom and I to dinner."
I hate this too and also hate the way some use the word myself. as in, "Please reply to Tom or myself." I see that at work all the time.
I am going to fully admit that I have terrible grammar, spelling etc... I am bilingual (French and English) and I often mix up the proper way to formulate a sentence as French is basically backwards to English. It does not help that I'm also dyslexic. So please forgive my ignorance on this, but what is wrong with those two sentences? :headscratch:

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that both ways are acceptable, but it makes my teeth hurt when I hear someone say "shedule" (the "sh" sound) instead of "Skedule" (the "sk" sound) (I know the real way to spell this is schedule)
If "school" is pronounced with the SK sound then "schedule" should be pronounced with the SK sound. (IMO :))

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Jem Jem

"The Stevens asked Tom and I to dinner." should say, "The Stevens asked Tom and me to dinner."

"Please reply to Tom or myself." should say, "Please reply to Tom or me."

Confusing? Yes. A good way to think about this is to remove "Tom and" from the sentence. Then it would say, "The Stevens asked me to dinner." You wouldn't say, "The Stevens asked I to dinner." So it's Tom and me, not Tom and I.

Same with the second example. Remove "Tom or" from the sentence and you get, "Please reply to me." Again, it's Tom and me, not Tom and myself.

Hope that makes sense.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that both ways are acceptable, but it makes my teeth hurt when I hear someone say "shedule" (the "sh" sound) instead of "Skedule" (the "sk" sound) (I know the real way to spell this is schedule)
If "school" is pronounced with the SK sound then "schedule" should be pronounced with the SK sound. (IMO :))
That's the difference between American and British English. Two countries separated by a common language.

I am going to fully admit that I have terrible grammar, spelling etc... I am bilingual (French and English) and I often mix up the proper way to formulate a sentence as French is basically backwards to English. It does not help that I'm also dyslexic. So please forgive my ignorance on this, but what is wrong with those two sentences? :headscratch:
Jem Jem In the first sentence "me" is the object of the verb, So it can't be I, the subjective case. In the second sentence, "myself" is reflexive, as in "I hurt myself." People think they are being polite by using " myself."

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
People who hold grudges about petty issues, mostly because of jealousy.
I received a phone call last night from someone who was ranting about something
that happened in 1991?? and went on to say that whenever this person posts
on FB, she never "likes" it. Get over it, I wanted to say, but she is a family member.
Yes! I had a friend (we are no longer friends by the way) who held something against me for many years. When we finally decided to talk again, it is all they'd throw back in my face. I left thinking, "I'm never going to see you again!" At least I made the effort to try and fix things...

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This!!! Happens to me all the time!
That makes me nuts too which is why if I am at the checkout doing my regular grocery shopping, I will always ask someone with just a few items if they want to go ahead of me. I always have my stuff ready but I know how annoying it is anyway.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living here, within spitting distance of the Canadian border, and having ready access to their TV broadcasts, we hear 'shedule', among other things on a regular basis.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Living here, within spitting distance of the Canadian border, and having ready access to their TV broadcasts, we hear 'shedule', among other things on a regular basis.
I had a teacher in college who was from the UK, and she pronounced "sword" with the "w" intact. We must irritate the Brits with our pronunciations.

engine4154

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't been to the post office lately but when I did I'd always manage to get behind the clown who'd want to mail something like a shoe box tied shut with string. Inevitably they'd be told "You can't send it like this." followed by "Well, why can't I?" And here we go...lol

Come to think of it, that's probably WHY I don't go there much any more.