Trimming toenails

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it better to trim toenails in a few seasions or just do it all at once?

My cat freaks out when I trim her toenails, but she is perfectly fine a few minutes later.

I can do one claw before she really gets pissed off.

Thanks,

Greg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Is it better to trim toenails in a few seasions or just do it all at once?

My cat freaks out when I trim her toenails, but she is perfectly fine a few minutes later.

I can do one claw before she really gets pissed off.

Thanks,

Greg
If your kitty does not allow all her nails at one sitting, do it over several times through out the day or week and best is she's sleeping and when she's drowsy, you can clip more than one during that time. One by one is fine.

No need to do all at once unless she don't mind. Just clip off the sharp tip and not get too deep or close to the quick as if you clip the quick the claw will bleed and you have to stop the bleeding immediately and it'll be a little harder the next time to clip the nails as your cat will be weary.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gzartman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your kitty does not allow all her nails at one sitting, do it over several times through out the day or week and best is she's sleeping and when she's drowsy, you can clip more than one during that time. One by one is fine.

No need to do all at once unless she don't mind. Just clip off the sharp tip and not get too deep or close to the quick as if you clip the quick the claw will bleed and you have to stop the bleeding immediately and it'll be a little harder the next time to clip the nails as your cat will be weary.

View attachment 358129 View attachment 358130

View attachment 358131
This is actually the best recommendation!

She seems fine if I just do one paw and then let her chill out for a bit. She comes back and rubs my leg and asks for attention, so I don't feel I'm REALLY upsetting her.

I'm just wanting to clip off the sharp bits of the claw so she doesn't rip the hell out of my leather furniture.

Thanks,

Greg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is actually the best recommendation!

She seems fine if I just do one paw and then let her chill out for a bit. She comes back and rubs my leg and asks for attention, so I don't feel I'm REALLY upsetting her.

I'm just wanting to clip off the sharp bits of the claw so she doesn't rip the hell out of my leather furniture.

Thanks,

Greg
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

EmmaWilliam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

View attachment 358129 View attachment 358130

View attachment 358131
Thank you!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine tolerate it pretty well so I do it all at once but do each cat on different days. Gracie uses the scratching posts more than Boone so her nails don't grow as fast.