Trimming Nails

Anicanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I'm another one having issues trimming my cat's nails. I adopted him as an adult cat and he is really sweet, but I found out in the worse possible way (eye scratch) that he hates having his nails trimmed. I managed to do it once with my partner, but after the "incident" I'm more hesitant and aware of red signs. What I realised is that he is not at all afraid of the nail cutter. He mostly doesn't like being handled, especially in his paws. He really likes to be petted on the head and is very cuddly when he wants to, but obviously never when I need him to. I'm trying to get him used to having his paws massaged but we're not getting anywhere.

Anyway. His claws are huge and I'm tired of being accidentally scratched. I need to cut them asap, but I don't feel confident to do the burrito. So after a lot of research, I'm going to test an approach this week and will report later. I'll wait for him to be really calm (after an afternoon nap), apply a calming spot-on, and put him in a calming vest (I've read wonders about Thundershirt but I'm going with a much cheaper version from Geyecete). My partner will distract him with a creamy treat while I trim those razer blades. Fingers crossed this plan will work.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope this goes well!

It especially helps if it's after playtime when the cat is calm.

I would really recommend getting him used to being touched (provide treats! Freeze dried is a great version of he likes them), by when he is calm, touching his feet without any ulterior motive. It should just be the top at first.

I like Kat's videos as they are similar to how I get cats comfortable with me. (Without the drinking, I don't intake alcohol)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
m another one having issues trimming my cat's nails.
Try to trim the nails when he's asleep and drowsy. You don't have to trim all the nails at once else it'll be stressful for both of you. Just clip one or two nails a day.

IMG_2512.JPG
IMG_2513.JPG

IMG_2514.JPG

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anicanis

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey thanks for the tips - I had already tried them all (except for the burrito) and binge-watched every inch of youtube on this. I was really losing hope, but I'm happy to say that my technique worked a charm. Really, I almost cried with joy afterwards!!!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hey thanks for the tips - I had already tried them all (except for the burrito) and binge-watched every inch of youtube on this. I was really losing hope, but I'm happy to say that my technique worked a charm. Really, I almost cried with joy afterwards!!!
Awesome! Keep at touching laws regularly and cutting and he will likely get better about it.