Trimming Nails

fafordham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my cat as a stray a few months ago and he doesn't like being brushed or having his nails trimmed, but his claws were getting really sharp, so I tried to trim them. I cut one too short but he pulled away as I was doing it so it didn't cut through all the way and part of it is still hanging there. What do I do? I've never had a cat before, so I'm a rookie at all of this.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't sound like you cut into the quick, since you didn't mention blood. But you're saying that the end of his claw is dangling and he ran? Wait until he's napping, and go look at the "hangnail". He'll probably chew it off, or he may let you finish snipping it off when he's very relaxed (as well as finish any claws you didn't get to do).

One of my cats only lets me do a claw or two at a time, then I go back several times as she naps until I get them all....other times, she lets me clip all of them in a minute with no fuss. I just never make it a struggle. :rolleyes:

If you did cut into the quick and his claw is bleeding, then see if he'll let you wrap a sterile bandage around the paw. Styptic powder or cornstarch will also stop bleeding. If it's not too deep, then I should stop bleeding on it's own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fafordham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He meowed like he was in pain when I did it, so I assumed I went too far. I got a quick look later, and it looked like I cut into the quick, but maybe I didn't go through far enough for it to bleed since he pulled away. Thanks for the advice! Hopefully he isn't too traumatized for me to get the other ones!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you got close to that nerve ending without actually hitting it. I'm always so worried about cutting the quick, that I clip barely the ends off to blunt the sharp points. Of course that means I have to clip at least 2x per month...but perhaps that frequent repetition gets the cat comfortable with the whole process.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you didn't cut the quick. You'd have little red footprints all over the house (ask me how I know). The one that I cut by accident is skittish now and I've had the same problem--half-trimmed nails occasionally hanging on. I cut them loose with a pair of scissors if I can get the cat to hold still long enough for me to do so. Otherwise, it falls off on its own after a little while or the cat bites it off.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2: And congrats on becoming a first time cat "parent". :petcat:

I see it's been a few months since you adopted your cat, but here's an article that might have some helpful info: First-time Cat Owner's Guide

I feel for you in trying to trim your cat's nails, as my Ruby hates being restrained, plus hates having her toes touched. So nail trimming is not easy. I try to clip a nail now and then when she's asleep on my lap, but it takes forever to get all her nails done.

The site has an article on How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws that may have some helpful ideas. Good luck.

Tagrendy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Only cut his nails when he is asleep - it is so much easier - and make sure you have good lighting. If he made a sound I think you might have cut a bit too deep - that very light pink at the end may not be visible but still is painful, it'll be fine though.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: F fafordham , some cats don’t like their paws to be touched let alone pressing the paw to get the claws out and some scream or rather they meow when you hold the paw even before you do anything. Some have bad experiences as they get nicked too deeply.

You don’t have to trim all the claws at once. Do a few each day till your kitty gets use to it. Trim them when the kitty is drowsy. It’s easier if the claws are not black claws as it’s easier to spot the quick.

255362A1-345C-4DF5-BA2B-F7458821A4E8.jpeg
71BCE6EC-3695-4452-A93F-C4E282BFCE57.jpeg
617047EF-9F72-41DA-AB92-16AD652C50A2.jpeg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
More practice will make you have more confidence. Have to do it fast so must be very sure when to clip. There’s no time to adjust the clipper. Better to cut a bit than deep.

Practice pushing out the claw first without the clipper so that you know how much to clip and see where the quick is. This way it also help your kitty to get use to having his paw touched.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I will second the suggestion of lots of "practice touching"... I even just play with my cats paws when they are really relaxed, by gently rubbing and massaging the underside to get them to flex out. I don't push it too much, once they flex, I leave them alone so they can continue to relax. Nail trimming is a major trust exercise for them, so you need to get them to trust you before you actually start clipping.

Also, I do not use the clippers you find at the pet store, I just use a regular old fashioned human nail pinch-clipper. While it doesn't get as much nail, it does help me avoid getting too close to the quick.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely needed to see this. Keep in mind I trimmed Charlie's claws regularily...and it took me years to get him to accept it lol. We took Vi in to the vet 7 weeks after adoption, they did her claws, no fuss. Since then it's been a hell of alot of scratching posts and boards...i'm chickening out. She's go that stray part of her where she doesn't like being held for very long and i'm concerned about how much blood i'll lose trying to trim..:lol: that vet visit was some 3ish months ago...

lookitsria

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yikes, I need to do the whole cat burrito thing to trim Sasha's nails. She doesn't like her paws touched and does not sit in my lap and she usually wakes up when I approach her while she's sleeping. So I lure her into the bathroom with treats, get her burrito'ed up, and quickly cut her nails. It's difficult but she NEEDS them trimmed. I give her treats after and she's usually fine after. I know it's not ideal but they need to be trimmed or my hands/arms and all the furniture would be destroyed!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I add that I have trimmed a total of 2 claws since that post 4 days ago....the stray/feral part of her does NOT like being wrapped/enclosed....I don't even have the burrito option lol.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Can I add that I have trimmed a total of 2 claws since that post 4 days ago....the stray/feral part of her does NOT like being wrapped/enclosed....I don't even have the burrito option lol.
That’s good! Do it slow and steady. Even one claw every other day is good.

Once if they ever get nicked in the quick, it’s total defense all the way for them. It’ll be harder the next time and they’ll be on guard each time you approach them and they’ll keep an eye on your hand to see if you are holding a clipper :lol:

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s good! Do it slow and steady. Even one claw every other day is good.

Once if they ever get nicked in the quick, it’s total defense all the way for them. It’ll be harder the next time and they’ll be on guard each time you approach them and they’ll keep an eye on your hand to see if you are holding a clipper :lol:
See now it sounds like i'm doing a good thing but...they were the thumb nails...she was laying on side half sleepy, and I didn't have to push them out as they're quite long, all I did was move in reeeeal slow and snip a teeny bit lol. So there was no need to touch her paw. Attempting to actually push her other claws out is not working. I feel a bit frustrated and uuugh because I trimmed Charlies claws for years and he was so used to me. Vi is such a different personality and not knowing if she was mistreated or whatever in her past means it's hard to understand some closeness issues.

She has no problem if I stroke my fingers over her arms to her paws, and even spreads the back beans out for me when she's being all cute and floopy. But she starts batting at me with those razor blades, or just pulls her paw away and gets annoyed. I'm still amazed the vet can just *clip clip clip* a kitty they've never met before that's still a bit skittish....major fail for me!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
See now it sounds like i'm doing a good thing but...they were the thumb nails...!
I find thumb nails the hardest to clip! Mind you, Ruby HATES me even touching her claws, let alone trying to trim them, the the thumbs always seem to be the hardest.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I find thumb nails the hardest to clip! Mind you, Ruby HATES me even touching her claws, let alone trying to trim them, the the thumbs always seem to be the hardest.
Oh well as I said...her claws were at the length where the thumbs were naturally sticking out enough to clip without having to press them out! As Charlies were done regularily the thumbs were actually the hardest and most awkward for me too. Also with pure white fur and pink pads they were harder to see! But seems if you let them grow nice and long they peep out and beg for a handle free trim lol (that is when she is half asleep...and her front paws are stretched out and I can see wth i'm doing!). I actually sneaky sneaked with the human clippers because I could get in and out again like a ninja :D I have 8 left to go.....8 razor blades of doom, leaving the back ones alone.

Oh god, the blood loss.....for me not her lol.

Thank goodness for the first aid training.....