Trim Nail

Roya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I have an old kitty which is not easy to be hold or pet. I trimmed her nails once but it is so difficult since she starts hissing and growling and biting. Today I found the nails are so sharp and tried to trim but I can see the black line inside the nail. I am afraid these lines be Quick. Could you please advise?

Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby also hates getting her nails trimmed, so I can sympathize with you. When I do manage to clip a nail, I just do the very tip, so it gets rid of the sharp point, but stays far away from the quick.

Here's an article How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws that might be helpful.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avoid that black line!
Maybe do one nail then stop, do another nail the next day, etc., and hope she doesn't get too upset before you're done.
If she's touchy about it, you might try to work on her being pet and held too so it isn't such a chore to do. Not all cats like being held but with persistence, can learn to tolerate it. (Or in the case of our Queenie Bee, learn to LOVE it and be obnoxious about being held and pet!)

Maelin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our last cat Teddy, did care much for nail trimming...but we found early that if we caught him soon after a waking from a nap that he took it better...so that's what were doing with our new baby and he's taking it pretty good...like Bruce said though we will do only the front or the back depending if he's a bit nervous. My husband holds him while I do the trimming. It's much easier when you don't have to worry about all the wiggles and the crying...only the trimming...WHEW!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our last cat Teddy, did care much for nail trimming...but we found early that if we caught him soon after a waking from a nap that he took it better...so that's what were doing with our new baby and he's taking it pretty good...like Bruce said though we will do only the front or the back depending if he's a bit nervous. My husband holds him while I do the trimming. It's much easier when you don't have to worry about all the wiggles and the crying...only the trimming...WHEW!!!
Most of ours here don't care about nail trimming. A few have a minor fit during but nothing major.
Queen Bee, always lay her in your lap, head to your chest, feeties out, and start with the back feet. She's touchy with her front paws.
She's OK for one, but for the last front paw, about one or two clips in, she starts fussing, and then on the last nail or two does a half-assed bite at the clippers. I freeze up, give her "a look", she freezes, and looks at me like..."wat? :p" and I say "never bite the hand that feeds you" and clip the last. When done, she darts away 1/2 an inch, then flops at my feet, all purrs like "...we're still buds, right?" Oh Queen. :flail:
Baby girl is nutty about nails. "You left this outside claw a bit long. Fix it. This nail is rough. File it down, slave. Remember, I'm paying you good money for this..." etc. and then I remember the days before I was a sucker and cry a little. :bawling:

Maelin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:crackup:
Most of ours here don't care about nail trimming. A few have a minor fit during but nothing major.
Queen Bee, always lay her in your lap, head to your chest, feeties out, and start with the back feet. She's touchy with her front paws.
She's OK for one, but for the last front paw, about one or two clips in, she starts fussing, and then on the last nail or two does a half-assed bite at the clippers. I freeze up, give her "a look", she freezes, and looks at me like..."wat? :p" and I say "never bite the hand that feeds you" and clip the last. When done, she darts away 1/2 an inch, then flops at my feet, all purrs like "...we're still buds, right?" Oh Queen. :flail:
Baby girl is nutty about nails. "You left this outside claw a bit long. Fix it. This nail is rough. File it down, slave. Remember, I'm paying you good money for this..." etc. and then I remember the days before I was a sucker and cry a little. :bawling:
I'm dying here:crackup:...*your kill'n me Smalls*:flail:You have such a wild bunch of Furbabies. Yes that seems to be most all of us devoted cat family members...we're here to serve them...and we actually really love and want this life...WOWOWZA...we wouldn't have it any other way...:dizzycat:LOVE EVERY MINUTE:runningcat:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:crackup:
I'm dying here:crackup:...*your kill'n me Smalls*:flail:You have such a wild bunch of Furbabies. Yes that seems to be most all of us devoted cat family members...we're here to serve them...and we actually really love and want this life...WOWOWZA...we wouldn't have it any other way...:dizzycat:LOVE EVERY MINUTE:runningcat:
And to think mentioning the dogs antics is not shared here.
This bunch we have is nothing but a huge group of characters. It's like a daily comic strip that lasts dawn to dusk!