Travelling with a Persian cat for 18 hours by air?

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hii everyone, this is my first time thecatsite.com. I was wondering if anybody has any experience travelling with a persian cat (or even if you know someone who successfully travelled) on a flight that’s from 14-19 hours long. The vet I consulted was mostly unsure and basically told me it’s a risk travelling with a cat for that long by air, but I have not gone back home in two years, and I was hoping to take my fur baby with me when I go back for a few months this April. Any advice or opinions will be highly appreciated!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is your cat? Will your cat be in the cabin of the plane with you?

There is concern for flat faced animals such as Persian cats and pugs. Where are you traveling from and where are you going to? How long will you be away / when are you returning because "a few months" suggests you'll be returning at the height of summer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is your cat? Will your cat be in the cabin of the plane with you?

There is concern for flat faced animals such as Persian cats and pugs. Where are you traveling from and where are you going to? How long will you be away / when are you returning because "a few months" suggests you'll be returning at the height of summer.
Hii, first of all thank you for responding! And secondly to answer your questions, my cat’s 2 years and 3 months old now. And he will be in the cabin with me for sure, no cargo. I’m planning to travel from Canada to either London first and then India or directly from Canada to India. I may be away for 2-3 months at the most, and plan to come back in time for my university’s fall semester!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a lot to me— I flew w/ a cat for 3 hours and that seemed like a lot. Not saying you shouldn’t but if you decide not to, do you have a backup idea? Catsitter?

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like a lot to me— I flew w/ a cat for 3 hours and that seemed like a lot. Not saying you shouldn’t but if you decide not to, do you have a backup idea? Catsitter?
I do not and cannot leave my cat, I’d be so unhappy and I think so would he :( I don’t mind not going back, I just want my cat to be safe and healthy. And agreed, it is a lot, I’m already leaning to not travel just to be safe as it may be very stressful for him.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
I do not and cannot leave my cat, I’d be so unhappy and I think so would he :( I don’t mind not going back, I just want my cat to be safe and healthy. And agreed, it is a lot, I’m already leaning to not travel just to be safe as it may be very stressful for him.
Awww, very thoughtful of you. Well, I’m no expert, just another cat lover here: certainly don’t let me sway you. I would just be thinking: “what if there’s a delay?”

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww, very thoughtful of you. Well, I’m no expert, just another cat lover here: certainly don’t let me sway you. I would just be thinking: “what if there’s a delay?”
Right?! You understand how much I love him, he comes first no matter what! And exactly if the flight or even the arrival delays, he won’t be well. Look at him🥹 his nose is so small.

Attachments

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A few more questions. I can give you some travel tips if I know more about the exact circumstances.
Are you sure all of the flights allow pets in the cabin? I know some overseas flights take pets only in cargo, and then only certain times of the year depending on climate (too hot or too cold).
Would this be hours non-stop, or do you have some time at airports between flights?
Have you done any traveling with your cat in a carrier for extended periods of time? How well does he tolerate being in the carrier?

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few more questions. I can give you some travel tips if I know more about the exact circumstances.
Are you sure all of the flights allow pets in the cabin? I know some overseas flights take pets only in cargo, and then only certain times of the year depending on climate (too hot or too cold).
Would this be hours non-stop, or do you have some time at airports between flights?
Have you done any traveling with your cat in a carrier for extended periods of time? How well does he tolerate being in the carrier?
Well I’m sure that I would be booking an airline that does allow pets in cabin, like AirCanada. And yes so there’s two options, either flight would be non-stop from Canada to India, or two separate flights one from Canada to London (with a layover for 1-3 days) and then London-India so that makes it 7-8 hours per flight. Still risky, and pretty stressful:/ I haven’t ever flown with him but he does do well in a carrier in a car etc.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I haven't traveled by air or car with my cats any distance, you may also want to check with any requirements by the countries you may be traveling to what their vaccination requirements might be for your cat as well as if they have a quarantine time requirement. This may also apply when you return to Canada.

Oh and Welcome to TCS!

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While I haven't traveled by air or car with my cats any distance, you may also want to check with any requirements by the countries you may be traveling to what their vaccination requirements might be for your cat as well as if they have a quarantine time requirement. This may also apply when you return to Canada.

Oh and Welcome to TCS!
I haven’t checked yet as I don’t know if I will be travelling, but I definitely will if I decide to book the flight. Although the risks involved are just too much for my cat. And thank you!

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
There are also a lot of similar “long flight” questions on TCS— you might wish to PM them and see how they fared.

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
True! I did see a few, the only problem is not many have travelled as long as I plan to :/ but I’m still going to check again. Thanks!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some airlines have restrictions on short nosed dogs and cats. This may refer to in cabin as well. So check that out with any of the airlines that you are planning on using.

catmomfrez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some airlines have restrictions on short nosed dogs and cats. This may refer to in cabin as well. So check that out with any of the airlines that you are planning on using.
Yeah most of them make us sign a form as well, I’ve decided to not travel for good. Can’t lose him over a trip.