Traveling with Outdoor Cat

TheDoriansultan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an outdoor cat (neutered) that I've raised for 3 years in my backyard.. He's shy but friendly, comes every morning and evening for food, cuddles, playtime then goes about his day.

I plan on studying and working abroad next year...will putting him in a plane for a 12 hour flight and then put him strictly indoors in a studio apartment be too much for him to handle? I'm obviously very attached to this cat and want to take him with me if possible and I'd rather not re-home him if possible, but I just want to know if this would take a toll on his health.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS.

Yes, it is possible to make him an indoor cat, but I suggest you start now. He sounds like a very friendly cat, have you ever had him inside your home? I think if you can get him used to coming into your home now it will give him plenty of time to adjust to indoor life. Then when you move with him it won't be such a huge shock.

All of my cats started out as outdoor ferals, but they adjusted to being indoor and enclosure only cats. It takes time, some of them accept the idea faster than others do, but I've never had a cat completely hate the idea of being indoors.

Could you try feeding him just inside your backdoor and see what he thinks of that to begin with?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheDoriansultan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS.

Yes, it is possible to make him an indoor cat, but I suggest you start now. He sounds like a very friendly cat, have you ever had him inside your home? I think if you can get him used to coming into your home now it will give him plenty of time to adjust to indoor life. Then when you move with him it won't be such a huge shock.

All of my cats started out as outdoor ferals, but they adjusted to being indoor and enclosure only cats. It takes time, some of them accept the idea faster than others do, but I've never had a cat completely hate the idea of being indoors.

Could you try feeding him just inside your backdoor and see what he thinks of that to begin with?
I can't let him in unfortunately because I still live with my mom and she's allergic..
But he did come in a couple of times, looked around just for about 30 secs then went back out

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't say about a 12 hour flight, I would'nt know anything about that, but do agree most of my outdoor fixed strays would love to be an indoor cat, it would be like a treat to them, but I'm sure you'll always find 1 out of 10 that feel confined and don't like it..........
OH, and when you said he came in once and went back out,,,,,did he walk out slow or trot out ?? if he walked out slow and steady that's a big plus on future indoor..............

TheDoriansultan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't say about a 12 hour flight, I would'nt know anything about that, but do agree most of my outdoor fixed strays would love to be an indoor cat, it would be like a treat to them, but I'm sure you'll always find 1 out of 10 that feel confined and don't like it..........
OH, and when you said he came in once and went back out,,,,,did he walk out slow or trot out ?? if he walked out slow and steady that's a big plus on future indoor..............
He did go out slow and steady!
Guess that's a good sign 🙏

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of this cat for the past three years! His life is so much better with your help.

I have no experience with overseas travel with a pet so I tried to search for some useful information and I will post a link below to one of the sites I found. It looks like a lot of paperwork, vet visits, and things to consider to get him into another country and then back again to the US! I also have heard that pets sometimes need to be quarantined before entering certain countries, but maybe that is no longer true. Although your mom is allergic, if your trip will only be for a few months, would she be willing to continue feeding and watching over the cat outdoors?

USDA APHIS | Taking a Pet FROM the U.S. to Another Country (Export)

TheDoriansultan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking care of this cat for the past three years! His life is so much better with your help.

I have no experience with overseas travel with a pet so I tried to search for some useful information and I will post a link below to one of the sites I found. It looks like a lot of paperwork, vet visits, and things to consider to get him into another country and then back again to the US! I also have heard that pets sometimes need to be quarantined before entering certain countries, but maybe that is no longer true. Although your mom is allergic, if your trip will only be for a few months, would she be willing to continue feeding and watching over the cat outdoors?

USDA APHIS | Taking a Pet FROM the U.S. to Another Country (Export)
Thanks! I'm actually gonna be there for a few years at least, hence I've asked this question, otherwise I would obviously just leave him...

I want to take him from Israel to Canada

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aha! Thanks for clarifying. Then it makes perfect sense! And sorry for assuming you are in the US! From what I have read, it will take planning far in advance, getting info from both countries about policies, getting the cat to a vet at some point, and trying to get the cat to come inside comfortably when you can so he is used to being indoors even for a few minutes. A vet can prescribe a calming medication (like gabapentin) for the flight and you can line the carrier with pee pads. Lots to think about, but I'll bet it will work out!

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with this but I can say, from what I have heard from others, you absolutely want to make sure you have him as your carry on so he can be with you on the flight, under the seat or whatever. I have heard horror stories of animals being put in with the luggage and being lost or dying.