Traveling with 4 cats

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I go between Florida and ct. next week I am traveling 1400 miles with 4 cats. I have one 18 year old cat in one crate and 3 one year cats in another crate. Both crates are big enough the cats are able to get up, move around etc. I am able to put a litter box in the one that 3 cats are in. I stop overnight at a hotel halfway.

i Have a very hard time getting the 3 In their crate so I leave them in it overnight since I can put a litter box in it. On my trip down to Florida, they were restless in the carrier since they could see me. I let my 18 year old out at the hotel, since she can’t move fast and I can get her easily back in the carrier.

question -has anyone left their cats in their car overnight since they will have access to food and a box? It’s 50-60 degrees overnight where we stop. in My mind, it’s less stressful because they won’t be moved in and out of a hotel etc. In the car, they travel fine. They just lay down and sleep. They meow a little when the drive starts.

sorry this is long and rambling. I’m just trying to find the least stressful option for cats and me.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I could not leave my cat in the car overnight.

I think what I’d try is smaller, individual carriers. Four cats, four carriers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I could not leave my cat in the car overnight.

I think what I’d try is smaller, individual carriers. Four cats, four carriers.
Unfortunately that wouldn’t work. I could never catch the 3 and put them in their own crates. I feed them in the big one now so I just need to close the door once they go in. And I wouldn’t have room in my vehicle to have 4 crates big enough for them to each fit a litter box

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It would not be safe for them to be left in overnight.

Is catching them the only issue?

Of course any cat will complain if they are kept in a crate that long. Does the crate have a way for you to let one out at a time to run them around?

If this travel will be regular for you, I'll suggest that you leave the crate out at both your homes as a bed for your cats.

Toss treats into it frequently and perhaps even start attempting to train them with commands.

When at home you can even put catnip inside to encourage them to go in. We use ours as a way for our cats to see outside. We put a bed on top when we're at home too 😉

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the rules in the States where you live/driving through, but over here in my country it is unlawful to leave a pet in the car even for going shopping the store across the street, even if it isn't hot, even if you leave the windows open, even if they are free to move in the car, etc.

Furthermore, I think it's highly unsafe to leave your cats in your car overnight and you can't check on them.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would not be safe for them to be left in overnight.

Is catching them the only issue?

Of course any cat will complain if they are kept in a crate that long. Does the crate have a way for you to let one out at a time to run them around?

If this travel will be regular for you, I'll suggest that you leave the crate out at both your homes as a bed for your cats.

Toss treats into it frequently and perhaps even start attempting to train them with commands.

When at home you can even put catnip inside to encourage them to go in. We use ours as a way for our cats to see outside. We put a bed on top when we're at home too 😉
Yes it is left out at home and they sleep in it randomly. They aren’t scared of it. But when I pick one up to put in the crate, they all run and hide and then it’s mass chaos trying to get them each individually.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes it is left out at home and they sleep in it randomly. They aren’t scared of it. But when I pick one up to put in the crate, they all run and hide and then it’s mass chaos trying to get them each individually.
Could you practice this with treats? Make it a daily event. Pick one up, put them in, give a treat. The rest skatter, they don't get. See what happens.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could you practice this with treats? Make it a daily event. Pick one up, put them in, give a treat. The rest skatter, they don't get. See what happens.
That’s a good idea. I can work on it for next trip but it’s too late for this trip. I leave in a few days

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That’s a good idea. I can work on it for next trip but it’s too late for this trip. I leave in a few days
I would suggest starting now.

For this trip:
Instead of leaving the whole house open for them to run around in while you're trying to grab them. Move them all in to one room. (Just go to other rooms and shoo them out and then close the door.) The end goal is that they are all called into the room with the pen.

Give yourself lots of time and go in with the expectation that it will take you that time. Much of our feelings around certain things are the expectations. They really should be let out in the evening to stretch their legs and for you to clean the litter box, give fresh water etc. Try to get them running around and tired before you have to put them back. They'll be hungry so you can put the food into the cage as encouragement.

You can also ask your vet for some medicine for their travel to make them a bit calmer. That won't change the need for them to get out and get some movement in and get their needs met though.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t know if you have time to get it, but my pet playpen is a godsend. The new one I just got has zippers on both the floor and the ceiling.

You can just set it up in the hotel room and dump them in there. Then set the carrier in there and get them into it by reaching in from the top (obviously you can’t unzip the whole top or they’ll jump out.).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YS13H6D/?tag=thecatsite

It folds flat in no time.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t know if you have time to get it, but my pet playpen is a godsend. The new one I just got has zippers on both the floor and the ceiling.

You can just set it up in the hotel room and dump them in there. Then set the carrier in there and get them into it by reaching in from the top (obviously you can’t unzip the whole top or they’ll jump out.).

Oh dang that playpen is amazing!! Looking to see if I can get one on time

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I was able to order a different t one to get here on time. Thank you!! I pray they won’t be able to figure out how to open the zippers! That seems to be the most common con that I see

DONORO Dog Playpen 36" Portable Pet Play Pens for Small Dog/Cat/Rabbit/Chicks, Cat Playpen Indoor/Outdoor with Carring Case, Removable Zipper Top and Bottom https://a.co/d/0f2fKSe

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great! You can just use bread twisty ties (or similar) to hold the zippers closed. On my older playpen, the bottom is held on with pieces of velcro. I would just throw a blanket on the floor and of course the kitty litter held it down, but I so prefer the zipper.

They are great. I’ve had some seriously ill cats and I can put them in there and not have to shut them away in a bedroom. Right now I’m using it as a safe space for a stray I just took in.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great! You can just use bread twisty ties (or similar) to hold the zippers closed. On my older playpen, the bottom is held on with pieces of velcro. I would just throw a blanket on the floor and of course the kitty litter held it down, but I so prefer the zipper.

They are great. I’ve had some seriously ill cats and I can put them in there and not have to shut them away in a bedroom. Right now I’m using it as a safe space for a stray I just took in.
Bread ties are a great idea. Thank you! I wish I knew about this sooner but I do this trip every 5-6 months

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have the playpen as well, and it's been great for many sick pets over the years. :)
Twisty ties work well for the zippers, mine has two doors on the side(s) and the top opens up completely so you'll want to make sure you secure all the areas. As soon as you get it, set it up and let them start exploring it and hide treats, toys, etc. inside of it just like you did the carrier so it won't be totally new to them. :)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very similar to the one I bought to keep my kitty for the first few days when she first came home. I hope that the mesh in your crate lasts longer than mine... also, I hope your cats don't learn how to open the zip from the inside, like my kitty did 🤣