Traveling across country with two cats

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am moving my two big boys from TX to MI. Is it better (less traumatic) to take them via aircraft or do a road trip?

If road trip, I need them caged the entire time because they will hide if we go to a hotel room and it might be difficult to wrangle them back up. So if I do the road trip, I was thinking about getting the Tru Catch Fat Cat Traps so there is room for a litter pan. What do you think?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might consider a cat play pen for them to go in the hotel room.

Or depending on your vehicle a large dog crate? I don't know how many overnights the trips takes.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd agree that the road trip might be the way to go. If you took them via plane, they can be medicated a bit, but you might have to purchase 2 seats in order to fit them on the plane. How do they do in a car? Some cats REALLY hate the car and others can be fairly mellow about it. So maybe you have to weigh that too.

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I am moving my two big boys from TX to MI. Is it better (less traumatic) to take them via aircraft or do a road trip?

If road trip, I need them caged the entire time because they will hide if we go to a hotel room and it might be difficult to wrangle them back up. So if I do the road trip, I was thinking about getting the Tru Catch Fat Cat Traps so there is room for a litter pan. What do you think?
Road trip is the way to go. 🚙 If they aren't used to and pleasant with/in cars (most aren't), you need to get a sedative (pill) from your veterinarian. Test it on them before the trip, during clinic hours so you can bring them in if they have a reaction.

They last 7-12 hours depending on the cat (in my experience), so you'll need to give them extra doses, of course. I've had the most consistent luck with La Quinta hotels (800 pet friendly locations across the country). I also recommend getting them a large play pen [Chewy] to stay in, and allow them a way to hide (like throwing a blanket over it, or bringing a box/hideaway--if both their carriers can fit, even better). Then you can have the litter box in there with them, as well. (And get litter box liners [Walmart]! It'll make it so much easier when it's time to go.)

I have no experience or insight on the Tru Catch Fat Cat Traps.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my sister moved her crew of 4 dogs and -eventually 7- cats, from TN to CA, she rented an RV and used large, 2 door wire training cages. For the cats I advised her to put in a box facing sideways so the cats could have a downstairs cave or sit on top of the box. Each cage had a litter box on one side of the box and the dining area on the other. Cages were kept covered at first. She also had plenty of cat carriers on hand, just in case. The cats did surprisingly well. The unexpected rescues' cages were kept covered to help isolate them from the resident kitties.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used a large dog crate for mine. Room for a bed and litter box. It was very heavy tho. I have a cat play pen that I plan to use this time

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We traveled by car with our three cats in a large dog crate. We filled up the bottom of the crate with shredded newspaper for softness AND in case of an accident (pee or poop) and did not feed them while in the car. We did hang one of those water container things to the side of the cage in case they needed a drink, but I don't think they ever took a sip. We overnighted in pet friendly motels and did open the cage since there really aren't many places for them to hide in motel rooms. That's where we would set up food and litter boxes for them.

We never used any type of sedative on any of them. They meowed a little bit when we first started off, but they quickly settled down and were fine. Of course, I talked to them all the way! You could always play cat friendly music, or depending on what type of vehicle you have, you might even play cat TV for them ;)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you are inclined to fly, get all the details of how this will play out. The article from VCA covers the important points. It is possible that they may be taken out of their carriers at some point and you will need health clearances for them within a certain period of time as it relates to the flight.
Flying with Your Cat | VCA Animal Hospitals

The Tru Catch Fat Cat trap is huge; the local humane licensed wildlife relocator uses them in some cases. Given that it can accomodate a small dog, it might be a toss up between using that and using an actual dog crate.