Trapping for 2nd time?

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh wow! I didn't know Batman went through all that with the big German Shephard, poor thing. So glad he completely recovered from that traumatic experience. Batman is such a sweet kitty.

Yeah, i'm going to have to watch that Tiger doesn't get jealous of Buddy when I start to socialize them. What I plan on doing when I first get Buddy used to the house is to keep Tiger in the laundry room where he is sleeping now during that period. He won't be able to see anything so he shouldn't get jealous. You might try that with Batman if he gets too anxious. I feel that I should let Buddy get used to the house before I introduce him to Tiger through the screen. Too much at one time might get his eyes dilated. I can do the house thing during the exchange of smells period which comes first.

Buddy is a big ham. He flys across the basm't floor one end to the other. He's ready. His quarentine is up next Wed. when he get checked and retested by the vet. Can't wait to let him run through the house, he's going to love that.

Sounds like Patches is doing real well in her room. Walking around just like she own the place.
Good for you Patches.
You show them how nice and friendly you can be.
It won't be too long and she will be all over you. Giving you all the love you have given her.
Keep sending the progress reports love to hear them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tigerclaw

Oh wow! I didn't know Batman went through all that with the big German Shephard, poor thing. So glad he completely recovered from that traumatic experience. Batman is such a sweet kitty.
Here's the story.

Patches had 4 babies in our window well. Didn't even know about Patches til we saw these babies! This was less than a year after we got married. Pretty young, just got a house. 2 pet cockatiels. Husband allergic to cats. Last thing I thought I'd be doing was rescuing kittens and socializing an adult feral.
That said, keep in mind that I just LOVE cats and always had them growing up, but I wanted a portable intelligent pet in college during co-op that wouldn't restrict apartment hunting, so I got some birds.
And my birdies are awesome. So yep, 2 birdies and 2 kitties.

Anyways. I did some begging, then we got a bathroom set up and went to snag the kitties. We didn't know what we were doing... We did it so wrong, looking back. We went with a box and a towel.
There were only 3 by then. Got one pretty easy, brought him inside. The second one ran to the front yard in the landscaping. I got him, then he fell out, ran around the landscaping more... it was just awful. Finally got him inside. Then Batman was the last one. He bolted like a terrified little thing... went running to the chain linked fence.. and the neighbor's German Shepherd caught him.. in his mouth. We yelled at the dog to drop Batman and basically had to pry him out of his mouth. I about vomited in fear that the dog just killed the kitten. When we pulled Batman out, he hissed, then peed out of nervousness. We thought he was covered in blood - nope, just dog drool. My husband and I were absolutely mortified about how awful our rescue went. Kitties went to the vet the next day and were fine health-wise.. but WOW. What a horrible rescue. It's quite embarrassing.

The fuzzbutts were about 7 weeks old. Adorable little hissy things.
They were my first socialization experiments.
The friendly two were SO EASY looking back. I basically lost my whole summer last year with those babies, but it was so worth it. Batman was a bit of work as well... It seems it was just leading up to Patches in a way.

Now there was the 4th kitten. I did not see the kitten again until the kitten was 14 weeks old I think? I was looking in the yard every day the first week I found the babies but no luck - Patches hid him too well. TNR places wanted me to just TNR. No rescues had the capacity to socialize a black feral kitten... At that time we were also still working on socializing Batman and figuring out my husband's allergies. I was not allowed to take in this cat to socialize and/or adopt. You can imagine the fighting about this. But I ended up finding a wonderful rescue that DID, after emailing every single rescue within 20 miles or so. I got the kitty trapped, paid for initial vetting/neuter, wrote a nice big check, and send checks now when I can. That kitty is now a year old and STILL being socialized and still in a foster home waiting for adoption.. He's very shy, but very sweet and purry... gets along great with other kitties, etc. I'm hoping I get an email one day saying he's officially adopted. That will make me so happy. Looking back it does at times really bother me we didn't keep this 4th kitten but I try to tell myself everything happens for a reason. Patches would still be outside if I did somehow manage to convince my husband to take in #4. I know that kitten is getting great care - and so is Patches. So I don't know. It's just odd. I think about that kitten a lot.

Off topic, but hopefully no one will get mad at me.

Edit: I guess I didn't end it!

I just started feeling more and more of a connection with Patches. We did the math on how old kitten #4 would be and got her fixed after we knew he'd be weened, if he was still alive (since we did not see him). Then one day when we were feeding her, we looked out and saw him. That's how we knew he was still around! Trapping him was so depressing because she cried for him for days after he was gone. She'd lay on our porch crying.
SO SAD.

I got in a really good routine with her. She'd wait for us after work. She would actually start walking to the porch when the car was in the garage - really started getting more comfortable with us. I was able to also start luring her closer to me with the trail of food. (In June, she'd run to another yard. By October, she'd eat a foot or two away, giving me the leery eye.)

My husband's allergies were tolerable with Batman so we figured we could add a short hair kitty. So we brought in Patches.
Well, we talked for months and months. I was getting really emotionally attached to her and really starting to worry about finding her dead on the street. And I just felt a special connection with her, after saving her babies I think. I don't know. It just felt right.

Sorry if that is long and rambly, but figured the background is helpful if anyone is interested.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Alrighty, here are some pictures:

A mouthful of fur:

Not quite pleased with me this morning:

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, what an touching story. You did the best you could with the rescues and everything turned out in the end. With the experience you have now you would do things a little different in the future. You did ok based on what you knew at the time.

It's pretty easy to get attached to these kitties, it's an emotional journey.
I find myself feeling the same way. You have an understanding husband especially with his allergies. The way I understand it, the allergens are in their sulival and as they lick their fur it's spreads all over their body.

Nice pics of Batman and Patches. Hope Patches don't go bald in a year or so...just kidin.
Batman is quit the character. He loves him mama.

In the last pic of Patches I don't see displeasure. I see an elert, interested, pleasant face, eye are not dilated, ears perked forward. She looks happy to me.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Batman had brought up a mouse toy for Patches and the two were hanging out by screen this morning. I put my hand close to screen and she came over to sniff it through the screen - then growled at me. Not sure what that meant.

The mouse toy's tail was a bunch of feathers, so I stuck the feather part under the door and pulled the mouse back and forth. She went NUTS for it, immediately going after it with her paws. She was having a ball. It takes some work to get her to play in the box but this was instant. Unfortunately she got a claw snagged somewhere on the door/wire - I thought we hammered all the staples in really well but I need to take a better look tonight. Poor girl. I'm not sure if she's using her scratching posts.

She left eventually so I could go in and feed her. She got about 1/2 inch from my hand to sniff the treats. 30 seconds after I left the room, she was already walking to the screen. When I left for work, the two were very comfortably sitting on respective sides of the screen hanging out.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah, that sound good. A lot of action at the screen door with the toy. The sniff and grawl wasn,t really anything. Cats are smart and realize the safety of a screen door so she came right up and sniffed your fingers. Then realized that this smell wasn't suppose to be this close to her yet and just gave a little warning. She will be licking your fingers in know time.

Keep working the toy at the door and maybe crack the door a little and stick the wand through the crack and see the action. I did this with the semi-feral that spit, hissed and grawled at me that had the little kitten in my cages last summer. In know time I was able to rub the wand on her back and she got to like the interaction. Sounds like you're making great progress.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if she got a claw snagged in the door, sounds like her claws are sharp - so I'd have to say she's using the post(s)!

As to the coming forward to sniff your hand and then growling - it's that "inbetween" place that is a good sign.
She's comfortable in her space, she's GETTING more comfortable with you - but is still keeping her guard up. It's typical with ferals getting friendly - they come to you, but growl at the same time - it's that "confused" place where they're used to warning you about their space - but they're the ones coming forward.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This arrived today for Patches:

I let Batman get used to it first, then brought it into her room. I put 3 treats on the base, then left the room and sat outside with Batman. 1 minute later, her head is out of the box. She eyes the new thing in her space. A couple minutes later, she walks to it, gives it a sniff, then eats her treats. She has a very normal walk now - completely comfortable and confident. After she ate her treats and investigated, she just sat down, in the 'ladycat' upright position, with her tail not wrapped around her. She sat and watched Batman and I. I hung out for 5 minutes, then went away. Now I can hear her up to something (hear bells rolling).

Hopefully she'll figure out what the brush is for.

I'm impressed she was walking around with me in the hallway. She is definitely getting more comfortable with me!

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Had a really fun play session with her under the screen door with the feathery mouse toy last night!!!
She gets SO into it!!!!!! I can actually get her going with both front paws and get her on her honches to go after it. It is SO FUN playing with her.

This morning, I was also playing with her. But she again got a claw snagged on the screen. It is so sad. I don't think she understands how to get it out. Reminds me of when kittens have issues retracting their claws and getting stuck to everything. She finally got herself off the door and walked away content (content tail) but I hate seeing her pull at the door.

Which has me thinking... Should I try to get her to the vet for another nail trim? I think the trim was 2 months ago. I'm not thrilled about the idea of scaring her to go to the vet but if her nails keep getting caught, maybe it'd be important. Or she needs to figure out how to not get stuck. Not sure.

(We don't have to go to the vet until her Rabies in November, although I wouldn't mind having them put more Frontline on her. I am not certain she is flea free.)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it doesn't sounds like she was too traumatized by it if she walked away with content tail... I'm not sure I'd take her to the vet just to get her nails trimmed. ...but if you're not sure she's flea free, both kitties should be Frontlined, and if you think it's less traumatic to take her to the vet for them to do it for Patches than for you to do it... that's a call you'll have to make!

...it's great to hear she's enjoying so much play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great to hear that Patches comes out of her box to get her treats right away. Will she do that with you in the room sitting still?

For the nails caught in the screen, you might try to install a 3" board across the bottom of the screen door. You can get them 3" wide by 1/4" thick and screw it across the bottom so she will be scratching the board rather than the screen.

Nails get sharp again in a week or two. I agree with LDG, forget the vet for just a nail cut.

Good action at the screen. When the toy gets out of site under the screen door doesn't that just drive Patched nuts. My newly adopted Buddy flies at the toy when I flick it on the other side of my legs kneeing down. When it gets out of sight it triggers action because the prey is getting away. Patches is really picking up some steam in the training sessions. It's a reflection on how well you are training her.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing really new the past week. There was a day she was hanging out in the middle of the room and I decided to let Batman in the room to see her not in the box. She basically flopped to her side exposing her belly, not wanting to deal with him. Then she eventually retreated to her box. I think she did not like that encounter, so she hasn't been at the screen as much in the evenings. But she's usually there in the mornings.

She will play with my husband as well under the screen door. She's so much more confident there. When I'm in the room with her, she still has that nervous look about her. If I come in when she's sleepy, I will move my hand to be pretty close to her with treats - and sometimes the sleepiness will make her be less on guard and she'll just come up to my hand and sniff. If she's nto sleepy - I can't do that. She looks too nervous and I don't want to get myhand too close to her and have her defend her space. But yeah, she'll get close if she forgets about being scared.
When she's sleepy, Batman picks up on it and doesn't try to play with her - but just gives her a lick and happily walks around the room. It's interesting seeing that - how different he will react depending on if she's sleepy or not.

We had staple gunned pet wire on her side of the door to act as a 2nd layer. The screen on the door (Batman's side) is slowly being taken off the door by Batman. We're trying to fix it, but he's just determined I guess to force us to remove the door so she has full access to house. Maybe we'll have to just let her out soon. She and Batman have 2 different types of litter. Not sure if she'd just prefer to run upstairs and use her own box or if she'd use Batman's, etc. Batman's 2nd litter box is in the basement but I only let him down there when I'm there with him because of the mattress against the wall (from her room). I was worried he'd get hurt with it.

So we'll see! I feel like she's most safe in her room - she can't dart outside, etc. And I don't have to worry about Batman ticking her off when she's inside there. So we'll see. I'm a control freak but if she's ready to come out, I should let her.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, since she seems to be happy in her room, and comfortable with you guys when she's behind her screen, and so much more confident behind the screen - I'm thinking it's probably best to let her stay in the room for now.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah, so Laurie you're thinking I should wait to let her roam the house until she's a bit more confident with me in the room? I guess I've just been feeling bad she's still in her smaller living quarters.

I should start letting Batman in there for longer periods of time. He sure lets me know when he wants out. He goes to the screen door and paws at it.

I heard my husband telling her the other day how pretty she was. Until recently, he never saw her.. then he only saw her in the cat loaf position. But now he'll see her sitting more upright or stretched out. He's even playing with her now. That's great she's letting him do that through screen because he is new to her, really.

Well, if she's going to be in that room for a while longer, maybe I should get her one of those $40 Walmart cat trees I rave about. That'd be fun for Batman as well when he visits her. We'll see if my husband goes for the idea.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When it comes to the space.... I think we do a lot of projecting.
Cats have larger territories in outside life for hunting - but they den up in small spaces. Right now, she's got stimulation from play, and she's made the room her territory - that's why she feels safe behind the screen door. She's got companionship when she's in the mood for it - and she sounds, actually, like she's pretty happy! She hasn't learned "the art of love" yet,
, but she doesn't know she's missing anything when it comes to petting and being brushed and such.

But for her own safety, until she's more comfortable with you, my take on it is that it's best to keep her in her safe space. Free to roam in the house, she may freak out and hide somewhere - and then how do you get her out of there as she's still scared of you?

I don't think you need to wait until she loves being petted or whatever - but I sure wouldn't worry about her being in there for another - few months, or whatever, if it comes to that.

You know, you may actually want to PM hissy about this. I think a synopsis of the situation would suffice. She's comfortable with Batman, she's willing to sniff your hand when sleepy, but otherwise tenses up when you're around - unless it's playing through the screen, where she's totally comfortable. I think MA would have valuable input on what's best here.

And BTW, I'm so sorry I missed your Birthday! I hope you enjoyed a wonderful day!

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your two guys are progressing a little at a time. Slow but sure in the right direction. That's good to hear that Patches and your hubby are bonding. It makes things easier when that happens.

With my two I focus on body language especially with Buddy. He's like a rambuntious little kid. He will lay flat on the floor and want to rush towards the screen barrier. When he does that Tiger will back away. So what i've been doing is using the wand toy to break Buddy's intense focus, sending the wrong vibes. The wand toy snaps him out of it and puts him in a playful mode. I can see then Tiger is more relaxed. I also hold him on the sides and rub both sides of his neck which relaxes him and relieves his tension. I'm looking for a playful mode when they get together by the screen.

Body language, depending on the posturing can trigger many moods. I like to break up the intense moments either with the wand toy or a gentle rub to the cat's body around the neck and front part of the body area. It gets them to focus on something else.

Glad things are going good for ya. Keep it up.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is an uncomfortable question.

Our little casanova.. Batman... how do I say this? I'm pretty sure he's trying to mate with Patches. For a while I was trying to tell myself no, he's just trying to play... But he bites off loose fur of her winter coat she's shedding, then starts biting her neck/throat... then tries to mount her basically... She does not like this and growls when he approaches her back or near her behind.

What should I do? My husband thinks it's funny and reminded me that I told him this was a possibility when we had a male and female cat regardless if they're fixed or related. Should I just pretend I don't see it and not tell anyone that my cats are trying to be incestuous?
And even if they weren't related, gosh I feel bad for Patches. I usually try to break things up when I see she's getting really irritated with him.

I got Batman out of the room and a few minutes later, she's back at the screen and he's laying there on his side of the screen. Sigh.

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, interesting. That would make sense. Poor Patches!!

She continues to surprise me. If she's not by the door, she's starting to stick her head out of the box and watch if there's noise going on in the hall. Definitely getting more and more curious - and braver. This morning, she didn't even wait 10 seconds before I left her room to head out of the box and walk to the door. We've heard her call for Batman a few times in the evening the past week and Batman will run up. She's definitely more active and her sleep schedule is Batman's now. I'll hear her playing with her toys in the weekend afternoons and late mornings. Pretty sure I heard her using a scratching post last night as well.

She's still a chicken when I'm in the room but she's starting to sniff my hand almost consistently - unless I'm in loud scary shoes or something. (She is used to my slippers and sneakers.) She had some fun playing with her feather toy in the box last night with Batman in the room (not harrassing her this time). I am starting to put the treats in a trail to lead her out of the box when I'm in there cleaning her litter box. She'll crawl out to eat them and watch me for a bit before going back in, but when she sits, she's not all the way in the back - she's pretty close to the front, which is a change.

I'm getting less scary.

tigerclaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's good news that Patches is coming around. Becoming more social and not so scared. Even the smallest improvements are big forward steps. That's great.