Transportation For Kitten

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi , I will be picking up my kitten in a couple weeks and the breeder is 5hr drive from my home.
How would you all go about driving the kitty home? How will she go to the bathroom? Litter box in car and stop every little while??

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could get a crate big enough to fit a small litterbox, or use puppy pee pads. Personally, I wouldn't let the cat out in the car, because I would be afraid of them escaping or not being able to get them back in the cage.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A large pet carrier or crate is fine. You can line the carrier or crate with puppy pads if a small litter box won't fit. I wouldn't give food (some cats may vomit during travel) but water is ok. There are pet water bottles you can attach to a carrier or crate, similar to those a small animal uses. A bottle will keep water spills to a minimum.

Don't let the kitten out until you are safely inside your home with the doors closed. Cats can bolt out a door if they are scared. Have a room in your home ready for the kitten.

If you need to stop for a break during the drive, you can do so but if you need to leave the car to use a restroom, bring the carrier or crate with you. Leaving a pet in a locked car, windows cracked open or not, is against the law in many places. If you can, bring a someone along with you so there is someone to keep an eye on the kitten while you use a restroom or to switch off on driving.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok , thank you. That seems best.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did a few long road trips with my old cat. The drive was 13 hours and she had kidney disease so she couldn't go without food, but she had no issues with carsickness.

I had her in her carrier most of the time, but we took frequent breaks. She didn't have water in the carrier because it would slosh and make a mess, but she had a dish of wet food in there so she at least had some moisture if she wanted. (I also gave her extra sub-q fluids before each trip, though) At break time I put down food and water for her and let her roam around the car freely. Her litter box was on the floor in the back seat. I had a leash and harness for her so that we could relax with the car door wide open to avoid getting too hot. Usually she was fine staying in her carrier for 3-4 hours between breaks, but a couple times I did have to pull over between stops because she was pawing at the door of the carrier and crying. (Those times she actually just wanted to snuggle, but I waited anyway to make sure she didn't have to use the litter box or something)

Most trips I had another person with me so we could take turns getting food, going to the washroom, etc. But the one time I had to travel alone I just brought my cat in with me. If you stop at places that get a lot of highway traffic, they'll be accustomed to people bringing pets in as many people travel with pets and they don't want you leaving them in a hot car.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if you want to let the cat roam in the car (while you're stopped, NOT while driving), be sure to supervise closely and block off any maintenance openings that your vehicle may have under the dash. My own car has open panels for access to wiring, which a cat can easily climb into if they feel so inclined.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should mention that prairiepanda prairiepanda is talking about a well known adult cat, not a newly adopted kitten. You may eventually be able to do all of those things with your kitten (preferably without the kidney disease, of course), but now is not the time to experiment with them. Stick to strictly safe things for this trip: a carrier, properly strapped in; comfortable bedding in the carrier, along with a favorite toy if possible; litter box or puppy pads; and, yes, you should probably give her access to wet kitten food for a trip that long -- kittens are hungry, fragile beasts.

While you're driving, talk to her soothingly; this is the time for her to begin associating your voice with comfort. Do have a room all prepared for her for when you get home, and do everything you can to make the homecoming a happy experience for her (even if that just means letting her nap in peace). If it goes well you may end up with a cat who isn't terrified of car trips.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
along with a favorite toy if possible
If the breeder hasn't supplied toys that belong to specific kittens and go with them, buy something now, perhaps a small plush toy, and send it to the breeder immediately, for your kitten, so that she'll have time to become attached. Make sure to get lots of your smell on the toy if possible.

Margret

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, I'm heading out Sunday night!!! So excited!

Sibguy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update, picked up my kitty Monday and the trip home was a breeze. I put him in the crate , no water no food nothing but a blanket in the crate and he was great. Slept most of the way. 4.5 hrs.