Transitioning to adult food - suggestions?

Knicks2021

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! Hoping for a bit of advice…we have 3 awesome kittens who are getting closer to being cats, and we’ll soon be transitioning them to adult cat food. The tricky part is 2 of our kitties are Maine Coons, while the 3rd is a domestic shorthair, so we’re wondering if there are any good foods that would be suitable for all 3 of them.

They’re currently on blue wilderness kitten for dry food, and fancy feast kitten paté for wet food. Our Maine coons are13 months old, while the domestic shorthair is about 10/11 months (we’re less sure as he was adopted from a shelter).

Any suggestions for wet and dry options that would work for all 3? Any thoughts on when we should make this transition given their ages? Thanks in advance for any help!

6AE7AC04-D141-4F25-A73C-D3E8C0F20B71.jpeg

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Adorable kitties!! So envious of your fluffy cat pile.

I believe there isn't really any reasons why maine coons and domestic cats need separate diets. IMO it will end up more about what is affordable for your budget, what they will eat/tolerate and what ingredients are you ok with feeding.

My most recommended wet food is Rawz pate, specifically the ones that say 96%. They don't have any stupid gums or carby ingredients that are useless for cats. Plus their price per calorie basis is comparable to a lot of the nicer wet food brands seen in stores that all still have loads of garbage in it. Other pate I feed before are PureVita pate and Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets (cus that one has no fish which I avoid).

If you want something more like shreds, you can't really beat tiki cat puka puka luau but the price is very expensive per calorie. They also have an After Dark line that includes organ meat chunks.

In terms of dry food the only one I can recommend is Dr.Elsey chicken dry food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All three cats can eat the same food and you can start transitioning them now to adult food or "all life stages" food.

How much canned and dry are you planning to feed? 50/50? Mostly canned with a little dry for snacking on? Do you have a budget?

Rawz is a good brand but expensive and only sold at authorized places. It might be too expensive to feed Rawz exclusively to 3 cats daily.

Pate canned foods give you the most for your money. Textured foods in broth / sauce / gravy / etc are mostly the liquid with little actual food.