Transitioning 4 out of 5 cats to part time raw, started tonight!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flortification! I love it!   

I'm glad it's going so well for 3 of the cats.  And sorry to hear of your CRF kitty.

Your wife and the 4th cat may both come around with time to think about things.  Raw food is gross (I'm a freakin' VEGETARIAN!) but what the heck happened, where cats ended up with a 100%  fast-food, processed-food diet?  It's like us eating a fruit roll-up, a can of green beans, and beef jerky for every meal.  (or for variety, Hormel "potted beef product"
  )

Thanks!   I picked up that term from mrsgreenjeens :)

I actually switched from the fortiflora to Whole Life freeze dried turkey at LDG's recommendation and HOLY COW it's like magic dust.  My super picky 20 pounder doesn't like turkey, raw, cooked, cold cuts - nothing!  But she likes freeze dried turkey!  At my cats next birthday party, I'm gonna get pinata's full of that! 

Only two of the 4 liked the freeze dried chicken (all my cats have something against chicken apparently).

But my main goal of all this was just to get my cats off their addiction of Natural Balance canned and I couldn't for the life of me find a canned they'd all eat - but with a little Whole Life turkey magic dust mixed in/on top, the first canned variety I put down - all 4 chowed down!

I also picked up some Stella and Chewy's freeze dried and 3 of the 4 love it rehydrated with warm water - no toppings necessary.  Even the moderately picky (toothless) one that needs toppers on all other raw liked it.  Only the 20 pounder doesn't like it. 

Also picked up a tub of Radcat raw turkey, and their chicken variety, and their lamb variety.  Thawing in the fridge now to portion out for later.

So I'm pretty much switching every other day between raw and canned.  They still get the kibble (50/50 mix of Pinnacle Cat and Epigen-90) from about 1am - 6am over night.  Just trying toppers and other simple stuff with the 20 pounder, haven't gone into the serious techniques like mixing food, both in same bowl, crushing kibble etc. etc.   But I will!    :)

Oh, threw down some raw chicken when cooking some the other day, only the kitten had any interest.

Also been adding 1 capsule of the Proviable-DC proboitic in with the raw every other day.  Those Enzymes are still in transit.  I'm about to order a metric ton of both Whole Life Turkey and Stella and Chewy's.  Still haven't ordered with Hare-Today yet...  I'm lazy I guess...

Last edited:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
klag, you're going to have to come up with some pictures of your kitties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That shouldn't be too hard since I only have 2304820398409290384092384 pictures of them :)   There's pictures of all of them, but mainly the kitten on the link in my signature.

http://indykitty.blogspot.com/

Cast:  Indy = The Kitten

Thumper = 20 pound Maine Coon

Ginger = 14.5 pound Maine Coon

Raisinette = picky toothless shelter kitty

Puff = grumpy old CRF kitty, not participating in the raw transition

All are females except Puff.

The above picture has Thumper on top, then Puff, then Ginger - with Indy waiting for an opening :)  Raisinette not pictured - she's always on my lap or at my feet, hard to get pictures of her.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWW I love that picture. I saw that one in your blog. Great photo :clap:.. OK - I think I will have to try the WL FD Turkey..... because three of my six do not like WL FD Chicken either. I have not tried the FD turkey. Will have to order some and PRAY for it to be like the Fortiflora - Kitty Crack :lol3: :cross: I am glad that your cat's are doing well with the raw food. Can't wait to hear how they like the Rad Cat!!! Your lucky you can buy it locally. I am trying to get distribution in my area but so far no luck. OH my cat's all love the S&C FD meats too. No topping's either. Pipsqueak - nope - he doesn't like S&C FD :lol3: Makes life a bit complicated when they all have their individual preferences :rolleyes:

Last edited:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
AWW I love that picture. I saw that one in your blog. Great photo
.. OK - I think I will have to try the WL FD Turkey..... because three of my six do not like WL FD Chicken either. I have not tried the FD turkey. Will have to order some and PRAY for it to be like the Fortiflora - Kitty Crack
I am glad that your cat's are doing well with the raw food. Can't wait to hear how they like the Rad Cat!!! Your lucky you can buy it locally. I am trying to get distribution in my area but so far no luck. OH my cat's all love the S&C FD meats too. No topping's either. Pipsqueak - nope - he doesn't like S&C FD
Makes life a bit complicated when they all have their individual preferences
For some reason none of my cats like anything chicken, no chicken flavored cat food (even the Natural Balance chicken flavor they don't like).  So I wasn't surprised that they didn't all gobble up the Whole Life Chicken.  They all like turkey cat food, so I knew that would be a hit.

My picky one, the 20 pounder did NOT like the freeze dried turkey when I first put it down.  She left and came back and really wasn't into it at first.  But now, she's hooked.  I can sprinkle that on pretty much any canned and all the cats eat it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dave, I absolutely LOVE that cat tree!  Where did you get it?  I have been looking for something similar because mine like sleeping in those "cradles", but it's hard to find trees with more than one, plus I like the fact that there are apparently real trees as part of the whole deal.  Fantastic!  Please don't tell me you made it, unless you make them for resale!! 

Great news that your kits like the WL turkey.  Mine aren't turkey lovers, at least not the canned variety, so I never thought to try it in freeze dried.  Bought the WL chicken livers the other day, and that was a minor flop, even though mine love the chicken.  I've got the beef liver AND chicken liver, and they'll eat a little of it but not enough that I feel comfy using as a topper.  I really  need to find something that will really WOW them. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That shouldn't be too hard since I only have 2304820398409290384092384 pictures of them :)   There's pictures of all of them, but mainly the kitten on the link in my signature.

http://indykitty.blogspot.com/

Cast:  Indy = The Kitten
          Thumper = 20 pound Maine Coon
          Ginger = 14.5 pound Maine Coon
          Raisinette = picky toothless shelter kitty
          Puff = grumpy old CRF kitty, not participating in the raw transition

All are females except Puff.

The above picture has Thumper on top, then Puff, then Ginger - with Indy waiting for an opening :)  Raisinette not pictured - she's always on my lap or at my feet, hard to get pictures of her.
:clap: :clap: :clap: I LOVE IT! Oh Indy is just TOO CUTE! :lol3: Puff may be grumpy, but Ooooooo so kissable! :kiss: Thumper looks like what Booger, the very first stray that adopted us - might have grown into if we didn't rehome her. :heart3:

Thanks for the share! :D

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dave, I absolutely LOVE that cat tree!  Where did you get it?  I have been looking for something similar because mine like sleeping in those "cradles", but it's hard to find trees with more than one, plus I like the fact that there are apparently real trees as part of the whole deal.  Fantastic!  Please don't tell me you made it, unless you make them for resale!! 

I have a house full of cat trees and cat enclosures since we have no kids.  That one came from http://www.furwoodforest.com/

He is local me, met him at a cat show actually, and he makes them all by hand himself - not mass produced or a corporation.  Nice guy, he donated a few to the shelter I volunteer at too.  I have one from him that is 6 years old and still perfect condition.  He will also custom make anything you want, if you find one you like you can swap out a flat platform for a cradle etc. 

His prices are actually real good, but shipping is probably not cheap - I pick mine all up locally. 

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a somewhat strange but funny development with one of my cats.  The 14.5 pound Maine Coon, well, she's crazy.   It's already been proven and we've known it since she's been 7 weeks old.  She.  Is.  Crazy.  In fact, that's her nickname;  Crazy.

She requires a FAKE topper.  Yep, she wont eat the raw (not including Stella and Chewys) unless I PRETEND to put a topper on it.  She doesn't eat, looks up and stares at me until I pretend to crush something over her bowl and put it in (as if I'm crushing up a piece of freeze dried Whole Life turkey and sprinkling on top) and then she chows down.  I realized this when I was putting on such a tiny amount of flora or Whole Life turkey that she couldn't even smell/taste it.  So I pretend to crush up something and put it in the bowl and she's happy and eats.

That's why I love cats :)

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a somewhat strange but funny development with one of my cats.  The 14.5 pound Maine Coon, well, she's crazy.   It's already been proven and we've known it since she's been 7 weeks old.  She.  Is.  Crazy.  In fact, that's her nickname;  Crazy.

She requires a FAKE topper.  Yep, she wont eat the raw (not including Stella and Chewys) unless I PRETEND to put a topper on it.  She doesn't eat, looks up and stares at me until I pretend to crush something over her bowl and put it in (as if I'm crushing up a piece of freeze dried Whole Life turkey and sprinkling on top) and then she chows down.  I realized this when I was putting on such a tiny amount of flora or Whole Life turkey that she couldn't even smell/taste it.  So I pretend to crush up something and put it in the bowl and she's happy and eats.

:flail: OMG I AM BUSTING A GUT....... because first off, that IS hysterical. BUT tonight I was using a Fortiflora packet that was practically empty!!!! I used the last of it on Perla's food. Then Presley looked at me as if to say "HEY..... where's my crack???!!!" It was empty, but I pretended to sprinkle his food. :thud: HE ATE HIS MEAL TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to hold in my giggles so as not to disturb them eating :rolleyes: but when they were done eating, I was cracking up over it. OMG wouldn't that be funny - FAKE TOPPER'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE CATS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart3:

p.s. LOVE the Furwood Forest cat furniture!!! THANKS SALLY, for asking :hugs:. Very impressive furniture. I think IF I were to order one more piece of cat furniture, my hubbies head would explode :flail:

Last edited:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got a great picture earlier.  4.5 pound ex-feral kitten, 19.6 pound purebred Maine Coon.

Indy says to Thumper, "OMG IM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU LEMME GIVE YOU A BIG HUG!!!!!!!"   Thumper says, "please make it stop....."

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It appears Thumper has quite a lot of patience
.  What an adorable picture.

Oh, and thanks for the link on the cat trees.  I've bookmarked it.  They really are great.  Now I've got to start saving my pennies.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

:flail: OMG I AM BUSTING A GUT....... because first off, that IS hysterical. BUT tonight I was using a Fortiflora packet that was practically empty!!!! I used the last of it on Perla's food. Then Presley looked at me as if to say "HEY..... where's my crack???!!!" It was empty, but I pretended to sprinkle his food. :thud: HE ATE HIS MEAL TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to hold in my giggles so as not to disturb them eating :rolleyes: but when they were done eating, I was cracking up over it. OMG wouldn't that be funny - FAKE TOPPER'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE CATS TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart3:
p.s. LOVE the Furwood Forest cat furniture!!! THANKS SALLY, for asking :hugs:. Very impressive furniture. I think IF I were to order one more piece of cat furniture, my hubbies head would explode :flail:
:flail: :flail: :crackup:

Klag, when you first mentioned you were using such a small amount, I meant to post about just pretending to put some on! Before I discovered that if I let Flowerbelle eat on the counter while I'm prepping meals for the other 7 cats, she had to eat in the bathroom because she TOTALLY has ADD when it comes to eating. And I'd have to keep popping in the bathroom and pretend to put a topper on to get her eating again! :flail:

Cats - gotta love 'em! :clap: :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Got a great picture earlier.  4.5 pound ex-feral kitten, 19.6 pound purebred Maine Coon.

Indy says to Thumper, "OMG IM SO HAPPY TO SEE YOU LEMME GIVE YOU A BIG HUG!!!!!!!"   Thumper says, "please make it stop....."

:flail: :clap: TOO CUTE! I have to agree - Thumper looks like a very patient kitty!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:flail: :flail: :crackup:
Klag, when you first mentioned you were using such a small amount, I meant to post about just pretending to put some on! Before I discovered that if I let Flowerbelle eat on the counter while I'm prepping meals for the other 7 cats, she had to eat in the bathroom because she TOTALLY has ADD when it comes to eating. And I'd have to keep popping in the bathroom and pretend to put a topper on to get her eating again! :flail:
Cats - gotta love 'em! :clap: :lol3:
:flail: OMG add another one to the FAKE TOPPER CLUB :crackup: OH this is just too hysterical. BTW..... it worked again tonight for Presley (.....hand pounds table because I am laughing SO hard.....)..... :flail:

Last edited:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 she had to eat in the bathroom because she TOTALLY has ADD when it comes to eating. And I'd have to keep popping in the bathroom and pretend to put a topper on to get her

I read that in your thread and it totally reminded me of my crazy one - because sometimes, for no particular reason, she has to eat by herself away from any other cats.  Just around the corner, or in a different room with the door open, or in the bathroom.   Been like that for years.  Not ADD for mine because she doesn't get distracted.... once she starts eating she doesn't stop til it's gone.  We chalk it up to her being completely insane.

:) 

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I read that in your thread and it totally reminded me of my crazy one - because sometimes, for no particular reason, she has to eat by herself away from any other cats.  Just around the corner, or in a different room with the door open, or in the bathroom.   Been like that for years.  Not ADD for mine because she doesn't get distracted.... once she starts eating she doesn't stop til it's gone.  We chalk it up to her being completely insane.

:) 
Hey - insane is good sometimes, at least it's not boring. Perla has ADD, panic disorder, anxiety disease and :princess: syndrome :flail: and gets SO distracted during meals. I have to leave the faucet running slightly for background noise now :lol3: (my hubby was wondering WHY our water bill was bigger last month :bigmouth:) and no one can walk around because our floors creak and if she hears one little creaking of the floor - she is done. AND if another cat looks at her while she is eating - she knows it and will stop eating to stare at them and then she is done :dash: I think Perla has made ME insane throughout this whole process :lol2:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, had the first "involuntary rejections" today.  Also the first sample of Rad Cat lamb and Rad Cat chicken.  They've been eating Rad Cat turkey and like it.

So, was portioning up the recent purchase of Rad Cat that recently thawed in the fridge for the last 48 hours.  Still partially frozen.  Put down the chicken first, and the kitten ate a little, but not much.  She wasn't crazy about it.  The 14 pound Maine Coon who requires the fake toppers also ate just a little bit... they both surprised me since they are so crazy about raw so far. 

Took it away and put down some lamb and holy cow the kitten and 14 pound Maine Coon vacuumed it up like I've never seen.  They ate the lamb so fast, no toppers.  Not even fake ones.  The picky toothless shelter kitty ate lots of lamb too with minor Whole Life Turkey toppers.  Those 3 loved the lamb.

My 20 pounder, well, she accidentally ate some raw lamb while trying to lick the topper off - and she threw up INSTANTLY.   It was just a lick, couldn't even have swallowed it.  But she threw up right away, and then 2 more times.  I felt bad, gave her half a handful of kibble which she held down, all was well.

10 minutes later, the kitten threw up everything.  A LOT of food, all that she ate.  I think that we her first time ever throwing up, because she's not very good at it... got it all over herself and really looked surprised at what was happening to her.  She went right back to her hyper self right away and seem to be fine again.

The other two that ate the lamb held it down, no issues. 

Went and gave the leftover tub of Rad Cat chicken to the ferals I care for  - and not one of them would touch it either.   I saved it for the feral raccoon colony I feed involuntarily....

SO - could the 20 pounder have had some instant bad reaction to the lamb?  It was the smallest lick, and she couldn't even have swallowed it she threw up so fast.  I can assume the kitten either ate too fast, ate too much, or was just too hyper too fast (didn't wait 30 minutes after eating before going insane) so I will try it with her again.  But not sure about the 20 pounder now.  That was the first time she ever got raw in her mouth and got sick so fast.

Sidenote:  They have all been getting a full capsule of Proviable-DC once per day if they eat raw that day.  If it is a no raw day, I don't give them any of that.  Have not started giving any enzymes yet.

Last edited: