Transitioning 4 out of 5 cats to part time raw, started tonight!

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Goal

Transform 4 cats that are hooked on Natural Balance canned and grain free kibble to a rotation of grain free canned and raw and possibly raw only further down the line.

Background

5 cats.  1 old grumpy CRF cat, not participating - he has his own special diet.  1 five year old cat adopted from the cat shelter I volunteer at - finicky eater with only a few teeth left.  1 four year old 20 pound Maine Coon - very finicky eater.  1 four year old 14 pound Maine Coon - moderately finicky, not too bad.  1 four month old ex-feral kitten rescued from my feral colony (mother killed by coyote, see my signature) - eats anything.

All except the kitten are hooked on Natural Balance canned, fed once per day.  Also free fed kibble, Pinnacle Cat Peak Protein (grain free, holistic) formula from 12am - 6am (free fed over night only).  Canned meal is 6pm. 

So far, I've attempted to find other canned foods they will like, but I've not had much success.  I'm lucky enough to have multiple high end pet stores that carry all kinds of raw and grain free canned, and will order pretty much anything for me.  I've only just put new different canned foods in front of them at their normal canned feeding time - no real transitioning techniques.  The 14 pound Maine Coon would eat one or two out of 8 or so different varieties I've tried.  The kitten eats ANYTHING.  The other 2, they don't eat anything but Natural Balance canned and the Pinnacle Cat kibble.  The shelter kitty with no teeth eats only a little kibble, mostly the canned. 

First Raw Feeding (1 hour ago)

Picked up some Rad Cat Turkey from a local store and thawed it over night.  Warmed it slightly in a bag in warm water for 3 minutes and gave it a shot in place of the canned meal. 

Of course, the kitten devoured it all.  If only I discovered this 5 years ago when they were all kittens....

The moderately finicky 14 pound Maine Coon sniffed for a food 30 seconds, but did not eat.  I mixed with a very small amount of Fortiflora and sprinkled a tad of Fortiflora on top (very small amount total used, like an 1/8 of a packet) and then she also devoured it.  2 for 2 so far!

The toothless shelter kitty was a little more difficult.  She normally loves the Fortiflora, but wouldn't eat the raw even with about half a packet mixed in and a little on top.  I pulverized a few pieces of kibble and sprinkled it on top, still no luck.  But she was interested in me working with the kibble.  So, I put a few pieces of kibble in the bowl with the raw.  She sniffed and ate a few pieces of kibble and took a few bites of the raw!  She was definitely more interested in the kibble, but would get a piece of raw now and then (by accident?).  In process of eating around the raw to get to the kibble she ate about half of the raw.  I consider that a major success.  3 for 3.

Zero luck with the 20 pound Maine Coon, no matter what I tried.  She was not interested.  She was smart enough to reach her paw in and pull the kibble out of the bowl to eat it.  And when she got the raw on her paw, she had enough and walked away.  She's a strange cat, not overweight at all, but very large.  She likes turkey cat food, but not turkey.  She likes beef catfood, but not beef.  Tuna catfood but not real tuna.  She won't eat any table scraps at all, not even cold cut meats that the others do flips for.  She does like the Natural Balance canned and the kibble though.  And she eats plenty of it.

I didn't push it too much this first night.  3 outta 4 aint bad!  I will try again in 2 days with Natural Balance Chicken or maybe more turkey.  Maybe both.

*Sidenote - All the cats except the kitten are recently getting over a small virus they passed around from cat to cat.  One came back from the vet and 3 days later was sneezing and coughing.  2 days later, another was.  Then another.  They have all pretty much kicked the cold, only a random sneeze now and then (except the CRF kitty still has it bad, he got it last).  I am not removing the dry food over night quite yet - not until they are ALL fully healed.  Don't want to cause any added stress while they are fighting this bug.  Instead of removing the kibble over night, before I put it down at midnight I am giving them an added meal of canned first.  They all eat it, and then ignore the kibble mostly because they are full from the canned, although I'm sure they probably graze over night.  They don't each much kibble over night, about a half cup to a cup per night between 4 cats (CRF cat doesn't like kibble, lucky me!)

SO, that's my story.  I'm about to place an order with Hare-Today for 5 1 pound buckets of different meats/bones/organs (duck, rabbit, turkey, quail, and pheasant) and the supplement.  I am also going to order the pro-biotic recommended in the other thread.

I'm open to comments, suggestions, constructive criticism, etc. 

I do have 1 question - probiotic that I order, do I mix in before I re-freeze individual portions?  Or add after it's thawed just prior to serving?

Thanks for reading :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*edit to above - will try again in 2 days with Natures Variety chicken, not Natural Balance.   Typo, cant figure out how to edit.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, you're given a very small window to edit. It's the icon on the left of the post next to the red flag to report a post. If there's just the little red flag, the window to edit closed.

:wow: For a first meal, that's impressive! Mine didn't eat raw in place of a food at first. I had to mix a small amount of the Nature's Variety raw into their canned food meal. :nod: It was only when it became a larger percent of their wet food that I had to start using toppers.

It's really expensive, but you might want to buy a jar of Halo freeze dried chicken - unless one of the stores around you carries Whole Life freeze dried chicken. Whole Life is better, it's just I have to order it from amazon (which is what I do) - I've never seen it in a store. But this stuff crumbles really easily, and might make a good "topper" in place of the fortiflora. Some find parmesan cheese works really well too. :nod: That said, fortiflora does make the food smell more like kibble. :lol3:

I don't remember - did I give you this link before? It's a compilation of transition tips: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241623/raw-transition-resources-thread

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just wondering, why are you going to wait 2 days to give them raw again.  Why not give it to them everyday?  Don't you want to convert them 100%, rather than part time?  Just curious? 

Also, I have a CRF cat, and I'm trying to transition him too.  His Vet gave us the AOK.  So far, he's the only one who will eat any "chunks" of meat, and I figured he's be the hold-out, considering he's close to 17 and ate kibble almost his entire life!  Is your cat eating K/D? 

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wondering, why are you going to wait 2 days to give them raw again.  Why not give it to them everyday?  Don't you want to convert them 100%, rather than part time?  Just curious? 

Also, I have a CRF cat, and I'm trying to transition him too.  His Vet gave us the AOK.  So far, he's the only one who will eat any "chunks" of meat, and I figured he's be the hold-out, considering he's close to 17 and ate kibble almost his entire life!  Is your cat eating K/D? 

Reason for the 2-day wait, I want to put them on a rotation of canned and raw.  Most of the time I can feed them myself, but when I can't and I have to have friends or neighbors stop by and feed them - I want a convenient canned option that the cats wont refuse or make them sick.  My wife also wants nothing to do with having to feed them raw food...  Depending on how it goes, I may or may not go 100% raw.  I also want to ease into it slowly.

My CRF kitty doesn't eat prescription renal food, but does eat other low phosphorus foods mixed with all kinds of stuff (Alum Oxide, B12 supplement, Pet-Tinic).  He also requires subQ fluids twice per week.  He's advanced stage and also anemic, so he can eat whatever makes him happy for his time left with us.
 For a first meal, that's impressive! Mine didn't eat raw in place of a food at first. I had to mix a small amount of the Nature's Variety raw into their canned food meal.
It was only when it became a larger percent of their wet food that I had to start using toppers.
It's really expensive, but you might want to buy a jar of Halo freeze dried chicken - unless one of the stores around you carries Whole Life freeze dried chicken. Whole Life is better, it's just I have to order it from amazon (which is what I do) - I've never seen it in a store. But this stuff crumbles really easily, and might make a good "topper" in place of the fortiflora. Some find parmesan cheese works really well too.
That said, fortiflora does make the food smell more like kibble.

I don't remember - did I give you this link before? It's a compilation of transition tips: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/241623/raw-transition-resources-thread
I haven't seen that specific thread (I will now!) but I have read yours (and most other transition threads) already.  I kind of just wanted to see how everyone would react to raw food.  I will do more real transitioning techniques (mixing raw with canned, etc) coming up.

I also picked up a Primal sampler pack, has 5 different frozen raw varieties that I will try out.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also picked up a Primal sampler pack, has 5 different frozen raw varieties that I will try out.
Oooo, cool! Primal targets 8% bone content if I remember correctly. My kitties got constipated on Nature's Variety (which as 15% bone content). :lol3:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tried a few new canned varieties, no luck tonight, they only wanted their Natural Balance...  So, I broke out the Natures Variety raw chicken, and gave it a shot. The kitten loved it of course, the 14 pound Maine Coon refused at first, but I put the smallest drop of Fortiflora humanly possible (like 1/10th of the packet) and she gobbled it all down.  The toothless shelter kitty also at the NV chicken with a very very small touch of Fortiflora sprinkled on top.  She surprised me!

The 20 pound Maine Coon refused it, no matter what I tried.  Tomorrow, I will put some raw bits mixed in with her Natural Balance.

Looks like it might actually be easier to switch to full time raw instead of a canned/raw rotation.  I cannot find another canned variety they like!!  Addicted to Natural Balance....

One of the local stores near me has the Whole Life chicken treats, will pick that up tomorrow and see how it goes/helps.  Also getting ready to place my order with Hare-Today and the pro-biotic.   

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap: :clap: :clap: :bigthumb: :D

The whole life chicken... for me, anyway, it works as well as the fortiflora, but isn't as addictive. :lol3: Given it's healthier for them, I prefer it.

It really shouldn't be difficult for others to feed raw if they're eating commercial. It's really not much different than canned when it comes to putting it out. You just have to remember to dethaw it. :dk:

jenintaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ferals have been used to raw meat, unprocessed in any way, and all cats used to have raw meat and table scraps until about 1950. I just wonder why so many people think their only choices are wets and dries from supermarkets. My cats love their different varieties of raw meat, and different brands of dried food. They can be fussy little darlings though and have their addictions, eh.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow,Klag, things are really progressing nicely
.  Keep it up!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:clap::clap::clap::clap: Welcome to the raw camps :lol3:!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you HOW well my cat's are doing.... inside and out..... now that they are eating SO MUCH RAW!!!!!!!!!! It took many week's, and many sweat :sweat: and tears :sobbing: (thank goodness no blood :flail:) but it is SO worth going through the trials and tribulations, ups and downs to get there. My cat's coats are just GLEAMING, they are playful, happy and two of my cat's are now getting along :thud: In fact, that reminds me, I have a picture of the two sitting next to each other bird watching out the window :thud: The changes I have seen are really remarkable. :nod: I wish you THE best of luck and most of all enjoy the rewards that are sure to come :cross: yours and your cat's way!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :clap::clap:

The NV Chicken is a big hit over here :lol3: Lots of bones though and the kitties can get constipated on that one. I pick out the larger bone fragments in the medallions. I can also say the Nature's Menu Chicken is also a favorite at my place. No ground-in bones :nod: Good to have a few without the ground-in bone in your rotation! Good luck with the Whole Life Chicken..... my cat's unfortunately always end up getting me to use Fortiflora :anon: But as you say - just a little sprinkle goes a long way!!!!! The WL does not work for two of my PsIMA. I have very strange cat's - from another planet, as we say :flail:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the raw camps
!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't tell you HOW well my cat's are doing.... inside and out..... now that they are eating SO MUCH RAW!!!!!!!!!! It took many week's, and many sweat
and tears
(thank goodness no blood
) but it is SO worth going through the trials and tribulations, ups and downs to get there. My cat's coats are just GLEAMING, they are playful, happy and two of my cat's are now getting along
In fact, that reminds me, I have a picture of the two sitting next to each other bird watching out the window
The changes I have seen are really remarkable.
I wish you THE best of luck and most of all enjoy the rewards that are sure to come
yours and your cat's way!!!!!!!!!!!!

The NV Chicken is a big hit over here
Lots of bones though and the kitties can get constipated on that one. I pick out the larger bone fragments in the medallions. I can also say the Nature's Menu Chicken is also a favorite at my place. No ground-in bones
Good to have a few without the ground-in bone in your rotation! Good luck with the Whole Life Chicken..... my cat's unfortunately always end up getting me to use Fortiflora
But as you say - just a little sprinkle goes a long way!!!!! The WL does not work for two of my PsIMA. I have very strange cat's - from another planet, as we say

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So far things are going well.  I've put zero effort into converting them, and 3 of the 4 are happily eating raw with a tiny drop of fortiflora on top.  The 20 pounder does not like raw at all (yet).  I've been feeding them raw every other day, sometimes two days between the raw because my wife refuses to feed them raw.  She's okay with them eating raw and me feeding, she just doesn't want anything to do with it :)  That's fine :)

So far, they are really into Rad Cat turkey, Primal Quail Formula and Natures Variety Chicken.  I'm going to pick up the other Rad Cat varieties this weekend and also order from Hare-Today (never did place that order) and have a large raw rotation.  I did place an amazon order for some probiotics and enzymes and also a few packs of Whole Life freeze dried chicken and some Stella and Chewys.  That should all arrive soon.

I also want to get them into eating some bigger chunks and bones, I started a separate thread on that - many questions. 

It's funny, my original goal was to just get them on a grain free healthy canned rotation and off their Natural Balance addiction - but I STILL cannot find another canned variety they all like.  I'm having a MUCH easier time finding different raw foods/varieties they all like then canned!

Right now most of my time is spent on my CRF kitty, so I haven't worked on transitioning the picky 20 pound kitty yet.  I haven't even started restricting dry food yet, because it's worth it for me to leave it out over night if the CRF kitty eats even 2 kibbles - I need him to eat (can't remember if I mentioned I do leave kibble out from midnight til 6am, but they don't eat much since I feed a canned or raw meal before the kibble).  CRF kitty wont be around much longer, then I will really work on the finicky one.  She's not over weight, just a giant Maine Coon.  After all the other cats finish their raw and leave the kitchen, if she is still there I do give her her canned meal.  I'm a softie (for now).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: I love it! :clap: :clap: :clap: That's just great news! It makes it SO much easier to focus on the fussy cat(s) when you have several that are just natural carnivores! :D

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Great news that they are taking to raw quicky (well, most of them
)

Enjoy every minute you have left with your CRF kitty while you can. ( Mine gave up the fight yesterday
)  I know just what you mean about leaving kibble out for the one special cat, etc.  Did the same thing, but the others weren't really interest in it, etc.  Half the time Sven never ate any either, but I wanted him to have it, just in case

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers on your other thread about chunks and bones (Frankenprey).  Lots of people are already going down that path.  Wish I was one of them, but my furbabies aren't ready for that yet.  I've only had one who actually took a thin strip of chicken in his mouth and ate it.
But I think it was thoroughy coated in Fortiflora, and believe me, he didn't go for the second piece!!!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow: I love it! :clap: :clap: :clap: That's just great news! It makes it SO much easier to focus on the fussy cat(s) when you have several that are just natural carnivores! :D
YES..... so true :woohoo: Makes this journey possible when they are all NOT fussies :lol3:

SO SO GLAD to hear your wonderful update too!!!! Hey.... how is Indy? Congrats on a successful socialization too :bigthumb: Such a sweet little guy :heart3: I TRY to keep up with your blog from time to time.... when I have the time :lol3:

Last edited:

klag

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for all the positive thoughts :)

Great news that they are taking to raw quicky (well, most of them
)

Enjoy every minute you have left with your CRF kitty while you can. ( Mine gave up the fight yesterday
)  I know just what you mean about leaving kibble out for the one special cat, etc.  Did the same thing, but the others weren't really interest in it, etc.  Half the time Sven never ate any either, but I wanted him to have it, just in case

I'm sure you'll get lots of answers on your other thread about chunks and bones (Frankenprey).  Lots of people are already going down that path.  Wish I was one of them, but my furbabies aren't ready for that yet.  I've only had one who actually took a thin strip of chicken in his mouth and ate it.
But I think it was thoroughy coated in Fortiflora, and believe me, he didn't go for the second piece!!!!!
I just saw your other post, I'm so sorry about Sven :(
YES..... so true
Makes this journey possible when they are all NOT fussies

SO SO GLAD to hear your wonderful update too!!!! Hey.... how is Indy? Congrats on a successful socialization too
Such a sweet little guy
I TRY to keep up with your blog from time to time.... when I have the time
Indy is doing great!  She's the kitten I refer to in all my posts who eats ANYTHING.  She's fully socialized now and a total lap cat.  Sit down on the floor anywhere and she will magically appear in your lap.  She loves to be held and carried and gets along with all my other cats.  Her, along with the rest of my cats are all pictured in link in my signature.

She certainly knows she's a little carnivore!  She will growl while eating raw food if any other cat gets near her.  She eats anything raw too, including the Natures Variety Beef that no other cat will touch even with flortification. She would be perfectly happy with 100% raw.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Indy is doing great!  She's the kitten I refer to in all my posts who eats ANYTHING.  She's fully socialized now and a total lap cat.  Sit down on the floor anywhere and she will magically appear in your lap.  She loves to be held and carried and gets along with all my other cats.  Her, along with the rest of my cats are all pictured in link in my signature.

She certainly knows she's a little carnivore!  She will growl while eating raw food if any other cat gets near her.  She eats anything raw too, including the Natures Variety Beef that no other cat will touch even with flortification. She would be perfectly happy with 100% raw.
:lol3: GO INDY!!!!!!!!!! :wow: She certainly knows that she was born to eat meat :bigthumb: (p.s. I meant in my earlier post - sweet little girl :lol2: not guy..) What a great turnaround she made and FAST too!! :clap::clap:

carmina piranha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Flortification! I love it!   

I'm glad it's going so well for 3 of the cats.  And sorry to hear of your CRF kitty.

Your wife and the 4th cat may both come around with time to think about things.  Raw food is gross (I'm a freakin' VEGETARIAN!) but what the heck happened, where cats ended up with a 100%  fast-food, processed-food diet?  It's like us eating a fruit roll-up, a can of green beans, and beef jerky for every meal.  (or for variety, Hormel "potted beef product"
  )