Transition to adult cat food

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all
Victor is 11 months old on 2/20 and I wonder if it’s ok to start him on adult cat food. The wet food is no problem but his dry food I buy 4 lb bags which lasts a few months so he will either be eating kitten food about 2-3 months past his first birthday or starting adult food a month early. Not a big deal I know, but I’ld appreciate any opinions😀

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all
Victor is 11 months old on 2/20 and I wonder if it’s ok to start him on adult cat food. The wet food is no problem but his dry food I buy 4 lb bags which lasts a few months so he will either be eating kitten food about 2-3 months past his first birthday or starting adult food a month early. Not a big deal I know, but I’ld appreciate any opinions😀
It's ok to let Victor have his kitten food or at least finish up his kitten food into his 1st year. Slowly transit him over to adult food. Don't do an instant change. There's no harm eating kitten food for the next few months.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,
It’s been a while since I posted. Victor is almost 18 months old and doing great. We moved in April and I was nervous he would get diarrhea from the stress but he adjusted beautifully. When he was younger he had a few bouts of diarrhea so the vet put him on liquid antibiotics. The only way I got him to take the med was to mix it with a little canned food and hand feed him. (Gross, I know but a mom’s gotta do what a mom’s gotta do Lol!) The problem is he refuses to eat from his dish. He’s gets Blissful Belly by Blue Buffalo can food (a soft pate) and seems to like it when I hand feed but refuses it in his dish. I’ve gotten used to touching smelly cat but I doubt a cat sitter will so I’m hesitant to go on vacation. Also it’s a hassle in the morning! Has anyone had a similar experience with a kitty? Any suggestions on what to do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - can you try a flat paper plate? Also, maybe a little tough love where you leave the food out, and otherwise he doesn't get his food unless he eats it from the plate? (or even a flat thin mat on the floor - I've see some cats are quite comfortable eating from the floor.) If the interior of your house isn't hot you can leave the canned food out for several hours.

Also, alternatively or even in addition, try an elevated bowl - maybe put his favorite dish on a small sturdy box or a few books. Have some of these options for him to eat from in different unusual locations.

Most cat sitters who are good won't mind - although a spoon or popsicle stick can help make things a little simpler in that regard.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to try and feed pate’s and my cat would sort of tolerate them. Pates are higher in protein, so that was my preference. He likes chunks in gravy more and it seems most cats do. I decided life is short so I let him have it. He does hate leftovers. I can’t even get him to eat them warmed up so I get Sheba or nutro perfect portions, depending on which has a coupon on amazon. He also hates fish flavors.
Then I feed dry food the rest of the day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - can you try a flat paper plate? Also, maybe a little tough love where you leave the food out, and otherwise he doesn't get his food unless he eats it from the plate? (or even a flat thin mat on the floor - I've see some cats are quite comfortable eating from the floor.) If the interior of your house isn't hot you can leave the canned food out for several hours.

Also, alternatively or even in addition, try an elevated bowl - maybe put his favorite dish on a small sturdy box or a few books. Have some of these options for him to eat from in different unusual locations.

Most cat sitters who are good won't mind - although a spoon or popsicle stick can help make things a little simpler in that regard.
Thanks for the suggestions. I tried using a saucer which he will accept as long as I hold it! We are making progress.

Khopper224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed my kittens were starting to get tired of eating the same pâté every day. Varying the flavors seems to help. Also, I found that they like their pate combined with a little of their dry food on top, so maybe it’s a bit of a texture issue for you too? Best of luck with your kitty!