Transition From Kitten Food To Cat

lmcginley002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! I just wanted to confirm if I am feeding my cat too much or an appropriate amount. She's moving from kitten to adult now so I'm switching her to adult food instead of kitten food, and thinking of limiting her dry food a bit more rather than free feeding. Right now I feed a perfect portions size 1.3 oz wet food in the morning, a 3oz can of wet at night, and 1/4 cup of dry for her to snack on through the day. She weighs 10lbs. Does that seem like a good amount?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi all! I just wanted to confirm if I am feeding my cat too much or an appropriate amount. She's moving from kitten to adult now so I'm switching her to adult food instead of kitten food
For normal cats, they mature at 1 year old and if your cat has not reach one year old, you can continue feeding her with wet food made for kittens as it is full of nutrients and proteins for a proper healthy growth or food labeled 'For All Life Stages'

As kittens, feed them as much as they can eat (wet food) and when before they reach maturity, they'll go through a growth spurt and they may eat more than usual till they are past one year old and after that their food intake will taper down and be constant.

Once she has reached one year old, you can continue to feed her with food 'Labeled For All Life Stages' or swarth to adult's food.

If your cat is a strictly indoor cat with normal activities, she needs around 200 - 250 calories a day. She may not eat all 250 calories at one go but spread out throughout the day. If she's getting this amount of calories per day, it is sufficient for her.

If she doesn't over snack on the dry food, then its safe that she'll not put on too much weight as dry food is full of carbs and does not keep your kitty hydrated as in wet food can.

Use this as a guide for her weight :-

Q2FPH.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmcginley002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response! If my math is correct I think I'm giving her just over 200 calories a day, I feed Nutro brand varieties for wet and dry. She is so fluffy it's hard to tell her shape exactly lol but she's very active still, she just turned one last month :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
IMG_3140.GIF

Well, that's pretty good. A little over is ok as long she's active. Wet food is good for weight management.