Transdermal methimazole transfer to owner?

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually treat two hyperthyroid cats daily with transdermal methimazole, my own cat and my mother's. I always carefully wear gloves when applying it, but I'm wondering if I may be getting exposed just by my cat cleaning herself, wiping her ears with her paws, and distributing it over her coat. She's a very snuggly cat and likes to sit on my desk.

I've put on a few pounds of weight over the last few months, and I can't figure out why. I haven't had my thyroid levels tested, but I've heard of cases where owners were inadvertently dosed with methimazole from their pet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Can you imagine how very little you might be getting compared to the amount being absorbed into your cat? Also, do you really think the cat is wiping her ears with her paws to have enough residue to spread all over her coat? I suppose it is possible, but it seems extreme. And, from all the literature I read, the most common transfer from cat to human is generally the result of not using gloves and/or not washing one's hands after they have removed the gloves. The one reason they prescribe these meds to be rubbed into a cat's inner ear is due the thinness of the skin which allows for quick absorption.

You could consider giving them the pill form instead. Felimazole is very easily hidden in some food/lickable treat when crushed, or if you can get the cats to take capsules/pill pockets the pills could be hidden in those as well. You could also put a cone/e-collar on your cat for the first couple of hours after application as I cannot imagine it takes any longer than that to be mostly absorbed into the ear.

Call your doctor and share your concerns with them and see if they think it might be appropriate to have your thyroid checked. At least that way you'd have a better chance of assessing whether or not the methimazole might have anything to do with recent weight gain.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi D david68 .
Like FeebysOwner FeebysOwner rightly said, the amount of transdermal med you are giving your cats is dosed on their weight and condition. I mean, a person would take much more medicine than a cat.
Furthermore, you are applying the cream on the inner side of your cats' ears, which is the most difficult part of the year to reach with their paws, so it is unlikely that some of that cream gets on their paws and them on their coat.

So I think you can relax :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
We had a member a while back who reported using Mirataz (appetite stimulant) with out wearing gloves. Within a few hours, he experienced a greatly increased appetite which sounded logical. By his own admission, he was rubbing it on his fingers quite thoroughly as he applied it to the cat's ear.

Fiona herself used Felimazole for several years in pill form, and I found it very effective. I handled the pill itself without gloves, which is not recommended, and never experienced an issue. However, checking with your doctor about your own health is always a good idea.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I give Hekitty transdermal methimazole for her hyperactive thyroid, and without gloves. I, myself, am hyPOthyroidic, and have had not one bit of difference in my own levels from before I was treating her. Cats with hyperthyroidism tend to LOSE weight, as do humans, not gain it.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give Hekitty transdermal methimazole for her hyperactive thyroid, and without gloves. I, myself, am hyPOthyroidic, and have had not one bit of difference in my own levels from before I was treating her. Cats with hyperthyroidism tend to LOSE weight, as do humans, not gain it.
At first I would give Pallina the gel without gloves, then I was told that I was absorbing part of the medication that was intended for her, with the result that she was getting less than what she should have.
So, I used gloves, but only one finger. I would cut all fingers from gloves and only protect the finger of mine I was using.

It wasn't a precaution for me, it was a measure to make sure that nothing of Pallina's dose was wasted.

I think that david68 wanted to mean that by absorbing part of his cat's medication, his own thyroid is working slower and he's gaining weight.