Training My Former Feral To The Litter Box?

Flowerchild22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should be sleep but this little cat. He is such a sweet boy! This 7 month old juvenile need to use the litter box. Any suggestions on how to get a cat who is accustomed to going outside to pets, poop in the box. Oh and he hates his room which is the downstairs bathroom. I only let him come in and play, hang out on first floor, small living room, den/dining room and full kitchen. When it's time to go in the bathroom, he just goes in the corner between tub and toilet. I am trying to get him ready to be inside with us all the time. Any advice? Sleepless, a little bit struggle. Thanks!!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Any suggestions on how to get a cat who is accustomed to going outside to pets, poop in the box
Hi there, thank you for planning to take in this kitty :clapcat:

Is he already in or it's still the transition time? if it's the transition time, you can start feeding him inside near the door that he comes in from and slowly move his dish inner and inner into the house and to the place you want hit eat there permanently. Once he starts eating in, he'll get more sense of being in the house and get accustom to it. Once he's inside, try not to let him out again.

As for the litter box, see where he does his business when he's outside. Then gather those soil, leaves and bring it in to the litter box. Place the soil and leaves on top of the existing litter. Do this over and over again till he gets used to the litter box and the litter and slowly put less soil and leaves till he is fully using the litter.

Transitioning takes time and please do not rush. It may take while or it takes a little longer, just be patience with the cat and one important thing is please get him neutered. It's a good time for him to be neutered. Once he's neutered, he needs time to recuperate and it's a good time for the transition as you are there to look after him and he has a safe place to rest.

Also by having him neutered, it help him in his health and also he escape and won't have the desire to find a mate and have unwanted kittens.

Here are some articles for you to read on neutering :-

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats.22304
when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat.33415
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery.30217
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery.30218

LuvDeezKittez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I 100% agree with tabbytom tabbytom and rubysmama rubysmama -- those tips are solid! (no poop pun intended) :D Don't do what I did with a feral back in the day... asked my boyfriend to pee in the litter box first so that the cat would smell urine and want to cover it with his own to mark the territory. I'm embarrassed to say that I thought my idea was brilliant at the time. :running:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flowerchild22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, thank you for planning to take in this kitty :clapcat:

Is he already in or it's still the transition time? if it's the transition time, you can start feeding him inside near the door that he comes in from and slowly move his dish inner and inner into the house and to the place you want hit eat there permanently. Once he starts eating in, he'll get more sense of being in the house and get accustom to it. Once he's inside, try not to let him out again.

As for the litter box, see where he does his business when he's outside. Then gather those soil, leaves and bring it in to the litter box. Place the soil and leaves on top of the existing litter. Do this over and over again till he gets used to the litter box and the litter and slowly put less soil and leaves till he is fully using the litter.

Transitioning takes time and please do not rush. It may take while or it takes a little longer, just be patience with the cat and one important thing is please get him neutered. It's a good time for him to be neutered. Once he's neutered, he needs time to recuperate and it's a good time for the transition as you are there to look after him and he has a safe place to rest.

Also by having him neutered, it help him in his health and also he escape and won't have the desire to find a mate and have unwanted kittens.

Here are some articles for you to read on neutering :-

why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats.22304
when-to-spay-or-neuter-a-cat.33415
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-ask-before-the-surgery.30217
spaying-and-neutering-what-to-look-for-after-surgery.30218

Flowerchild22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the help! Nibbles is scheduled for his neuter on Friday. I got to him a little late for PM meal last evening and he had a guest. He was showing off his "stuff" the other evening. That was a first. I feel like I failed him not having him neutered sooner. I also noticed that he as coughing, sneezing? His appetite has been funny. I had given him a some cat sip which he loves, and treats. He will eat treats. He will only eat the food he usually loves in small portions. I guess this has gone on for a few days. I think it's time for a vet visit. He is still more outside than indoor. I try not to be too anxious but it may be time for vet..

Flowerchild22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think he has been using the litter box. I thought it was strange to see him scratch at it, and then sit in it. I laughed at self when I realized he was using it by sitting in the box. Whew! I have tried unscented so I hope that helps. Also going to pickup some Worlds best litter and paper for post neuter litter box. This whole eating thing has me anxious! Eating treats, drinking cat sip, some water seems to be ok. I am going to try canned tuna, chicken Those little coughs, sneezes. I try not to worry. Time for vet??

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
There are many things that can lead to coughing or sneezing but not all are serious conditions. A cat can try to clear his throat and sounds like he's gagging and same as he's trying to cough hairballs. Sneeze can meant a cold, an allergy or it's just something that has just tickled his nose and he sneezes, just like us.

Best if you can catch him doing all or any of these and capture them on your phone and show it to the vet when you are there. Also ask as many questions as you can when you are at the vet. If you can't remember all the questions to be asked, jot them down and write the answer next to it when the vet replies to them.

It's ok to worry and be anxious but please don't worry too much.

Flowerchild22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are many things that can lead to coughing or sneezing but not all are serious conditions. A cat can try to clear his throat and sounds like he's gagging and same as he's trying to cough hairballs. Sneeze can meant a cold, an allergy or it's just something that has just tickled his nose and he sneezes, just like us.

Best if you can catch him doing all or any of these and capture them on your phone and show it to the vet when you are there. Also ask as many questions as you can when you are at the vet. If you can't remember all the questions to be asked, jot them down and write the answer next to it when the vet replies to them.

It's ok to worry and be anxious but please don't worry too much.

Flowerchild22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you soooo much. I am grateful for the wisdom, advice, this forum. I will update soon. I has thought about keeping a little Nibbie journal just to keep track of this little guys health, habits. Thanks bunches : )