Training cats not to rush through doors

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some tried and true tips on how to train cats not to rush into rooms, out doors, and to not go where they shouldn't. I have 2 cats both 1yr and 2 birds (14 yr old cockatiel and 8 yr old Quaker)
When we had the dogs , I trained them to not jump on the cage or bother with the birds. Took a few years but the dogs behaved and both had high prey drive, honestly I have no idea how I did it but it worked.
With the cats not so much. One of the kittens is curious but could care less, the other has a much higher prey drive , she is also the one that escaped out of the house , the reason we can not use our front door anymore. She still bolts out doors like a cheetah.

Right now the birds are in a separate room, the door is always shut , if I go in there I put the kittens in our bedroom so I can go in and feed them etc. There have been a few times she has bolted in . Nothing has happened but I am afraid it will. We will be moving the birds upstairs when my daughter moves out , I really would love to be able to go upstairs without having to put them in another room, how do I train them not to rush up there when the door opens.

Does anyone here have birds and cats? I talked to a few people I work with that have cats and birds and they said no problem they get used to each other.... Ya clearly not that easy.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats have the belief that no door should be closed, and that any area they can't get into is one that needs to be explored. Sure he also wants to go outside, but there is absolutely nothing for a cat in my garage, and he still wants to get in there. Just because he is a cat. Not every single cat has such urges, a few actually do have a caution gene, but when you have a cat that feels the itch, you need to specifically make sure they know they aren't allowed through that door.

The first key, the most important rule, is to never ever let them through the door. The second rule is that if they do get through the door, don't let them do it again -- because every time they escape, they get more fearless about it. Try stomping your foot if the cat is too close to the door your about to open. If they don't respect your foot, keep a yardstick, broom or similar by the door to shoo the cat away. I still have a crutch (which we haven't needed for a broken leg for about 10 years) by the front door, and still use it (cat started as indoor/outdoor and we allowed too many escapes, allowing him to master the art of escape).

If they get into the room with the birds, chase them out. If they get outside, dont do that. You don't want to teach them to go into evasion mode outside. You might catch them once or twice, but once they learn they need evasion mode, your in trouble. Either get the treats and shake em, or just sit on your steps and chill for a bit, calling the cat to come to you.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First step is to teach them to "sit". I've never had a cat not learn this. Same way as a dog where you hold the treat up and then move it towards them so that their bum touches the ground, say sit and give reward.

In the meantime you can keep treats at the door to toss to get her away, or a peice of cardboard to help block her as you go in/out.

I would also harness train. Perhaps then they can explore the rooms via harness and learn they can't go out/in without the harness. In any case you'll have more control over what happens when the cat is in there. Please do not use a collar and leash only; you can choke your cat easily or/and they can also slip out and run off easily.

Harness training stopped my late cat bolting and our new kitten who was born outside, Magnus. However, my plan was basically to provide the time they needed to learn not to bolt when outside and hearing things so they didn't get lost.

I've also done a lot of recall work with Magnus. He knows his name and "come". He was chasing a squirrel round the patio the other day and stopped mid-chase to return to me! That's after a year and a half of work.

Once they know sit, I teach them to sit on the mat at the door and I carry them over the threshold. They think they can't step there. Doesn't stop Magnus from leaping into my arms when I open the door, but it's where I'd rather him be.

Please don't underestimate the trainability of cats if you work with them. Magnus is not food-focused at all. I've never met a less food focused cat in my life. His rewards are all social based or getting to go outside.

Calcifer will do anything for food. Anything. His foster was amazing and handled him and his litter since birth though so he's very docile and will allow most things to happen.

Personally, I found it's easier to train a cat not to do something if they have a "yes". So that's where I find it differs from less stubborn dog breeds. For example, Calcifer is being trained not to touch my plants. That's easier when he has his catnip and cat grass as those are 'his" that he can chew. He was also swatting at me for treats so we taught him "paw" and not he has something to do with his foot. Sometimes, he gives me his paw to hold while I give the other two their treats; I think he's saying he needs support to give me patience. 🐱

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I put my cat in my bedroom with me and closed the door. I had a fanny pack with cut up treats. She now comes when called. It only took a few minutes then she got it. I don't have to use the clicker anymor

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four parakeets in a flight cage in our otherwise unused formal living room. Our oldest cat has zero interest in going in there when the door is open. Our middle aged cat shows interest from time to time, he's a bit moody, but *usually* a sharp sounding clap of my hands and he loses interest. We have an awesome tall puppy gate that can be opened easily with one hand across the doorway just in case. Our two dogs are trained not to cross the threshold. Then there is the kitten we adopted last month. We started out by just closing the door quickly when we needed to go in there but when we had to go back and forth carrying food dishes and other bird stuff, it was a hassle. Next we tried locking the kitten in a bedroom but I figured he was never going to learn to stay out of the living room if we continued to avoid the issue by locking him up. Now that the kitten has some size on him and he can no longer slip through the bars of the puppy gate we leave the door open during bird chores, but close the gate to buy us some time. I keep an eye on the kitten as we work and if he shows any sign that he's thinking of trying to leap over the gate I do the sharp clap and a loud NO! Today, for the first time, the kitten sat quietly on the kitchen side of the gate and just watched as we fed the birds but we are still going to keep the door closed when we're not going in and out.
They do make full door gates designed to keep cats out but they are expensive, around $400. I'm seriously thinking of saving up for one.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats have the belief that no door should be closed, and that any area they can't get into is one that needs to be explored. Sure he also wants to go outside, but there is absolutely nothing for a cat in my garage, and he still wants to get in there. Just because he is a cat. Not every single cat has such urges, a few actually do have a caution gene, but when you have a cat that feels the itch, you need to specifically make sure they know they aren't allowed through that door.

The first key, the most important rule, is to never ever let them through the door. The second rule is that if they do get through the door, don't let them do it again -- because every time they escape, they get more fearless about it. Try stomping your foot if the cat is too close to the door your about to open. If they don't respect your foot, keep a yardstick, broom or similar by the door to shoo the cat away. I still have a crutch (which we haven't needed for a broken leg for about 10 years) by the front door, and still use it (cat started as indoor/outdoor and we allowed too many escapes, allowing him to master the art of escape).

If they get into the room with the birds, chase them out. If they get outside, dont do that. You don't want to teach them to go into evasion mode outside. You might catch them once or twice, but once they learn they need evasion mode, your in trouble. Either get the treats and shake em, or just sit on your steps and chill for a bit, calling the cat to come to you.
Thank you! I think I have my work cut out for me, Rosie is so strong will. I am going to implement a routine. I do not want her to get outside again. She was so little (6m) and we are extremely lucky she came home after 2 days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have four parakeets in a flight cage in our otherwise unused formal living room. Our oldest cat has zero interest in going in there when the door is open. Our middle aged cat shows interest from time to time, he's a bit moody, but *usually* a sharp sounding clap of my hands and he loses interest. We have an awesome tall puppy gate that can be opened easily with one hand across the doorway just in case. Our two dogs are trained not to cross the threshold. Then there is the kitten we adopted last month. We started out by just closing the door quickly when we needed to go in there but when we had to go back and forth carrying food dishes and other bird stuff, it was a hassle. Next we tried locking the kitten in a bedroom but I figured he was never going to learn to stay out of the living room if we continued to avoid the issue by locking him up. Now that the kitten has some size on him and he can no longer slip through the bars of the puppy gate we leave the door open during bird chores, but close the gate to buy us some time. I keep an eye on the kitten as we work and if he shows any sign that he's thinking of trying to leap over the gate I do the sharp clap and a loud NO! Today, for the first time, the kitten sat quietly on the kitchen side of the gate and just watched as we fed the birds but we are still going to keep the door closed when we're not going in and out.
They do make full door gates designed to keep cats out but they are expensive, around $400. I'm seriously thinking of saving up for one.
That is interesting ,I do have a small gate I used for our dogs. They may just jump over it. I do , something similar when I leave the house with my foot and a sharp NO if I see her to keep her in . Other times she is so stinkin FAST.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They sure are fast. This is our first kitten in the house in more than twenty years, as our eldest cat was adopted as an adult and the middle one (feral orphan) was outside for the first two years. Either the kitten is faster or I'm getting old and slow. 😔 We have two puppy gates in use but the one I love is more than three feet tall.