Tough Time Dealing With Chotu The Stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes we have given him an array of different types of wet food - from nutriya (not sure if that is the correct name), to tikki to acana wet food - he has been exposed to all - and luckily loves them all - and his bowel movements are super regular - so that is always god. the only thing is that he refuses to use the pine pellets in his litter tray and prefers to use the sawdust we have in the garage from all the wood work my husband does...not sure why he stopped liking them - but once he discovered the sawdust, guess its similiar to mud or dirt, so he likes to use that - only problem is when we run out - i dunno what we will do - as we have a huge bag of pine pellets for him that we just bought...but i am hoping to entice him back to it - not sure how to do that.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes we have given him an array of different types of wet food - from nutriya (not sure if that is the correct name), to tikki to acana wet food - he has been exposed to all - and luckily loves them all - and his bowel movements are super regular - so that is always god. the only thing is that he refuses to use the pine pellets in his litter tray and prefers to use the sawdust we have in the garage from all the wood work my husband does...not sure why he stopped liking them - but once he discovered the sawdust, guess its similiar to mud or dirt, so he likes to use that - only problem is when we run out - i dunno what we will do - as we have a huge bag of pine pellets for him that we just bought...but i am hoping to entice him back to it - not sure how to do that.
Pine is not recommended for cats. Felines prefer sandy substrate without any perfumes, dyes, or scents.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chotu! You’ve grown! Thank you for both the update and the links! I can find the one on YouTube and will! I practiced yoga in my younger days and it is very relaxing. I look forward to it!
The catio is wonderful! I am curious as to what Chotu May see outside. If his diet isn’t causing a basset tummy of irregular issue and he has no other symptoms then maybe he sees another kitty or other animal and is alerting you.
This is kind of my kitty check list for my cats. Is he going potty well both ways? Drinking water properly? Lethargic? Ears feel especially warm? Scratching a lot? Eating normally? Seem uncomfortable when I handle him? Changed his routine in any way? Disliking his normal routine? Each thing can be noted and observed over a few days to see if you see something. Each clue is helpful. Please let us know. I’m so glad to see you again! Hi Chotu! Sending purrs. Also a yoga photo for you from my Banjo. She obviously needs instructions though. Maybe she will join me as I watch the YouTube link!! I loved your previous video. Very beautiful and relaxing! Thank you!
671CFEA4-00B6-48C5-BE6B-FDA3A3795599.jpeg

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hmm....ok, thank you for letting me know ... :) will surely have to make a change either way since he's not using it :( here are some pictures of chotu's progress with the dogs of the house. beasley (beagle) and luna (husky)...thanks for being so supportive :)

Attachments

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chotu! You’ve grown! Thank you for both the update and the links! I can find the one on YouTube and will! I practiced yoga in my younger days and it is very relaxing. I look forward to it!
The catio is wonderful! I am curious as to what Chotu May see outside. If his diet isn’t causing a basset tummy of irregular issue and he has no other symptoms then maybe he sees another kitty or other animal and is alerting you.
This is kind of my kitty check list for my cats. Is he going potty well both ways? Drinking water properly? Lethargic? Ears feel especially warm? Scratching a lot? Eating normally? Seem uncomfortable when I handle him? Changed his routine in any way? Disliking his normal routine? Each thing can be noted and observed over a few days to see if you see something. Each clue is helpful. Please let us know. I’m so glad to see you again! Hi Chotu! Sending purrs. Also a yoga photo for you from my Banjo. She obviously needs instructions though. Maybe she will join me as I watch the YouTube link!! I loved your previous video. Very beautiful and relaxing! Thank you! View attachment 331406
ohh so cute ... terribly adorable ...i think banjo may be the teacher here...lol...thanks for sharing ...

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We crossed posts. Since you already have the pellets and probably need to use them ( I hear things are pretty shut down there) Maybe you could add a little bit of grass from the yard. Just a small bit of grass cuttings on top of even shredded paper might entice him. If you can get him started, maybe that will get you through. Putting his scent into the litter may also get him started. Using any poop he does to deposit in the box might work.
The photos of Chotu are heart warming for me. I remember when he was a nervous boy and resisting being inside. You have done a truly spectacular job helping him! Cuddling the doggie! Awww! He is completely content and happy with his family. :cloud9:
I’m glad you enjoyed my sweet Banjo. She makes me smile a lot!

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We crossed posts. Since you already have the pellets and probably need to use them ( I hear things are pretty shut down there) Maybe you could add a little bit of grass from the yard. Just a small bit of grass cuttings on top of even shredded paper might entice him. If you can get him started, maybe that will get you through. Putting his scent into the litter may also get him started. Using any poop he does to deposit in the box might work.
The photos of Chotu are heart warming for me. I remember when he was a nervous boy and resisting being inside. You have done a truly spectacular job helping him! Cuddling the doggie! Awww! He is completely content and happy with his family. :cloud9:
I’m glad you enjoyed my sweet Banjo. She makes me smile a lot!
will try - he used to use it without any problems till he forayed into the garage one day after we had done some woodworking and that was the end of pellet use - he would howl to get into the garage and then poop in the sawdust, so we collected it and put it in a box - and theres been no looking back since that - now we want him to return to the pellets as we are running out of the saw dust and this would be a waste of money - things are shut down but ordering online is always an option... will try the grass etc and see if we can get him back to it ...

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi- could you post a video of him yowling after he eats?
sure i can take the video. but can i upload a video here? as i tried to upload a video of the catio - but i thought this was just for picture uploads? will check it out and send it or put it on my personal youtube account (not the yoga one) for you to view

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm....ok, thank you for letting me know ... :) will surely have to make a change either way since he's not using it :( here are some pictures of chotu's progress with the dogs of the house. beasley (beagle) and luna (husky)...thanks for being so supportive :)
Chotu seems to be adjusting really well!

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley::hithere:Late to your thread, came thru Jcatbird Jcatbird link. Read 1st page here on site then jumped to this last page. So heartwarming to see how comfortable and happy he is, so sweet he & the dogs are getting along. Our girl Gypsy likes Cats Pride Fresh & Light unscented. She also likes a big deep pan with deep litter:cheerleader::hangin:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He yowled for the sawdust? If you have any left at all, try sprinkling it on the new litter. My rescued feral were used to using pine straw in the woods. Litter was new to them and I tried several brands with mixed results. Then I roped the litter with a little pinestraw. It worked to help then transition. I am wondering if that’s what he is yowling about now! Going to the box after eating is common. He could simply be complaining about the change.
I love the picture with the squirrel!

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He yowled for the sawdust? If you have any left at all, try sprinkling it on the new litter. My rescued feral were used to using pine straw in the woods. Litter was new to them and I tried several brands with mixed results. Then I roped the litter with a little pinestraw. It worked to help then transition. I am wondering if that’s what he is yowling about now! Going to the box after eating is common. He could simply be complaining about the change.
I love the picture with the squirrel!
He will yowl at the garage door so that we open it for him, so he can poop in the sawdust. i used to take him to his litter, but he refuses to use it..earlier i was just to poop, now he wont even pee in it - and wants to go into the garage for all business...we put sawdust on the litter, but that doesnt interest him...

i have lessened the kibble for the time being as his poop was a little hard..not as moist as when we first came..i have grass growing indoors for him to munch on, however it turns yellow after prolonged periods of no sun.

chotu seems to yowl all the time if i am around...he wants to go out... all the time...inspite of his own personal deck...i.e.catio...i was thinking of moving to the city to a smaller apt. (condo)but with his yowling, not sure how that will work..especially interms of access to fresh air... but thats a pipe dream in the future... i imagine the biggest mistake is taking him out for a walk on a harness - as it seems to upset him ...

but in the evenings - after he has enjoyed a few hours on the catio - he comes in and curls up next to me, or on my head, or on my arm and goes off to sleep...so am thinking it cant all be bad?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He will yowl at the garage door so that we open it for him, so he can poop in the sawdust. i used to take him to his litter, but he refuses to use it..earlier i was just to poop, now he wont even pee in it - and wants to go into the garage for all business...we put sawdust on the litter, but that doesnt interest him...

i have lessened the kibble for the time being as his poop was a little hard..not as moist as when we first came..i have grass growing indoors for him to munch on, however it turns yellow after prolonged periods of no sun.

chotu seems to yowl all the time if i am around...he wants to go out... all the time...inspite of his own personal deck...i.e.catio...i was thinking of moving to the city to a smaller apt. (condo)but with his yowling, not sure how that will work..especially interms of access to fresh air... but thats a pipe dream in the future... i imagine the biggest mistake is taking him out for a walk on a harness - as it seems to upset him ...

but in the evenings - after he has enjoyed a few hours on the catio - he comes in and curls up next to me, or on my head, or on my arm and goes off to sleep...so am thinking it cant all be bad?
Of course Chotu is neutered, and he is well cared for and loved, but he is a young male cat, and full of energy and interest in the life all around him! Cats by nature stalk their prey and finding food takes up a lot of their time, so he would love to have interaction with you, playing with an interactive toy. Cat Dancer and da Bird are our favorites -- they are "fishing pole" type toys with a wand, a string, and a lure on the end. If they aren't available, you can easily make something similar by using a stick and a piece of string; attach the string to the stick and on the other end, tie a bunch of feathers or piece of fabric or paper. Then play with Chotu, wiggling, waving and "flying" the lure for him to stalk, pounce on, and catch. A few moments of play a couple of times a day will give him a lot of stimulation and pleasure and tire him out a little, so he will settle down more often. Play right before your bedtime will help to calm him. Cats by nature are crepuscular -- most active at dawn and dusk, when their preferred prey of small rodents is out and about. They don't naturally sleep all night long, like we do. Young male cats especially will be active and prowling at these times. But cats are also creatures of pattern, and if you and Chotu establish a routine of play, you may find he will calm down in time.