Tough Decision

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am struggling with what to do with my hyperthyroid boy (14 yo with heart murmur, dental issues)...he can't take the meds (triend the pill and gel), doesn't like the thyroid food, so I am trying the thyroid gold drops for the time being, but I still can't help but feel I am putting him thru hell just to keep him alive. Some days are good, some days he gets sick, then won't eat..He's just like a walking bag of bones. Tonite my hubby said kitty tried to jump on the bed twice and missed. I think the time is coming, but I can't bring myself to do it. I know there's no right time, and I know I need to consider his quality of life..guess I am just wanting some kind words during this difficult time..thanks :)

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you've tried all you can then he'll know that too. I'd say try mixing the pill/gel/foods with his normal food. I used to do that when I cat-sit my aunt's boy who hated his meds, she'd come away with scratches and bites until I told her to try that out and now he's happy, healthy and doesn't actually mind the meds now. We graduated from "sneaking them into his food" to "him not caring anymore and eating it because he knows its the best thing for him". Also, give him a treat after for managing to keep the meds down.

But, if you've tried all of that and had no success and can see him wasting away, you've already said you know what the right thing is.

If you can't make progress and feel like he's unhappy and nothing is helping him, he'll be aware that you tried your best and didn't give up on him at the first, second or even third hurdle. It's heartbreaking but sometimes we need to take their feelings into consideration - I know it's hard though.

Just, if you do decide to put him to sleep, spend the days before with him calming him and snuggling, give him his favourite food/treats, play his favourite games, give him chin rubs or belly rubs or whatever he likes best. Talk to him gently, make his time happy and he'll know how much you care and wish there was another way. You're a better person than most for considering this, most people are too selfish to let a dying pet go painlessly, so thank you for caring so much for the little guy!

If there truly is no way forward for him, I'm so sorry but you'd be doing the right thing by him. I assume you've taken him to the vet about him not taking meds/getting weaker etc, and they've told you there's no other way? x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you've tried all you can then he'll know that too. I'd say try mixing the pill/gel/foods with his normal food. I used to do that when I cat-sit my aunt's boy who hated his meds, she'd come away with scratches and bites until I told her to try that out and now he's happy, healthy and doesn't actually mind the meds now. We graduated from "sneaking them into his food" to "him not caring anymore and eating it because he knows its the best thing for him". Also, give him a treat after for managing to keep the meds down.

But, if you've tried all of that and had no success and can see him wasting away, you've already said you know what the right thing is.

If you can't make progress and feel like he's unhappy and nothing is helping him, he'll be aware that you tried your best and didn't give up on him at the first, second or even third hurdle. It's heartbreaking but sometimes we need to take their feelings into consideration - I know it's hard though.

Just, if you do decide to put him to sleep, spend the days before with him calming him and snuggling, give him his favourite food/treats, play his favourite games, give him chin rubs or belly rubs or whatever he likes best. Talk to him gently, make his time happy and he'll know how much you care and wish there was another way. You're a better person than most for considering this, most people are too selfish to let a dying pet go painlessly, so thank you for caring so much for the little guy!

If there truly is no way forward for him, I'm so sorry but you'd be doing the right thing by him. I assume you've taken him to the vet about him not taking meds/getting weaker etc, and they've told you there's no other way? x
Thank you for the kind words :) The reason for the him not taking the meds isn't that I cant get him to take it, just that he can't tolerate them...he would take the pills for 10 days and then get deathly ill...vomitting, lethargic, meatloafing and hiding for a couple days. That happened both on the pills and the gel..EXACTLY the 10 day mark. since he's so fragile as it is, I just couldn't put him thru the meds anymore. Even the vet said he's a special guy..can't tolerate ANY of it..lol...I am going to try to modify his diet a little more and see if I notice a difference. I haven't seen him since last night, so I hope he's got his appetite back and some strength. All I can offer him now is lots of love :)

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My first cat was diagnosed hyperthyroid when she was 17. She was always a very 'difficult' cat, and my wonderful vet suggested no treatment at all. I was shocked and said that I'd read she could die from the hyperthyroidism, and he said that it was such a slow process that she'd likely die from something else before that.

She lived well for another 2+ years until her quality of life deteriorated to the point that at almost 20, it was time for euthanasia. I was glad that during those years, she did not have to deal with medication, blood tests, etc. and was basically comfortable.

If you decide not to treat, be sure to consider your remaining time together as a form of 'hospice'--i.e., making sure that your baby is as comfortable as possible and as spoiled as you both can manage.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through the same thing with my Burt. To watch him waste away was a heartache beyond compare. Your precious little one is getting weak, right now I wouldn't worry about getting special foods into him, just get him to eat. My Burt loved shaved deli turkey, Arby's roast beef, and a meat patty from McDonalds in his last months. Meds were given hidden in a piece of Pill Pocket cemented to a piece of bacon and liquids were mixed in tuna juice and the 'gravy' off of packet cat food. When he starts to avoid you, and stays by himself, when you look into those beautiful eyes and see existing, not living, that is the time. You will find the strength to end his suffering through the love you have for him.
I quit Burt's meds too for the last month, I honestly can say they made no difference. It's not worth inflicting extra misery and watching them go through that. Follow your heart.
My heart cries for what you are, and will, go through. It tears at our soul to see someone we love suffer through the end of life. Remember the happy times you shared, tell him you are thankful for the love he chose to share with you, and kiss that sweet head to let him know you are near. The bond of love you built during those years will never be taken from you, his journey is about to take another path. But that path will forever be tied to yours, and one day will cross once more.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, my heart goes to you in this time of pain. I'll cry with you and pray for a swift journey to the Rainbow Bridge, may you be blessed for loving that little boy so much.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see, that's heartbreaking but I completely understand you not wanting to continue to put him through it if it isn't working overall.

I agree with happilyretired, just give him a loving send off but I think putting him to sleep is the best thing, rather than letting him carry on without treatment since he seems so unwell already, I wouldn't want to drag that out.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through but you're handling it so well. Stay strong and remember always that you did your best and gave him a happy life!

• Purraise
Reactions: Kjl

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. It's tough going through this and most of us on here have gone through what you are going through -- the decision. My Timmer had IBD and passed away a little over two months ago. The medication and treatment just didn't work on him. My vet said normally it does but for some, it doesn't. Like your kitty, it just wasn't working out.
I alerted my vet to what was going on and I told him don't be surprised if I call you in a day or two. He said he understood. When i got home from work that evening Timmer had been sick all day and it broke my heart to know he was alone, in pain, and scared and sick while I sat at a desk. He would close his eyes slowly and I knew he was in tremendous pain. I called the vet that evening before they closed and told them I would be in the next day. That night he didn't sleep with me, so I knew he was hurting. The next morning he seemed fine, but then I would see him with his eyes closing and still hurting. I went ahead with it. His body just wasn't responding to treatment. It was the pain and the suffering I couldn't stand to see him go through. And there was nothing I could do for him. He could no longer move his bowels and he was straining to go but his GI tract had swollen shut and the prednisone no longer worked.
It's a hard decision but yet, it's a humaine one.
God bless you. Love your cat up while you can. You've had a tremendous life together and it will be honored.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am struggling with what to do with my hyperthyroid boy (14 yo with heart murmur, dental issues)...he can't take the meds (triend the pill and gel), doesn't like the thyroid food, so I am trying the thyroid gold drops for the time being
May I ask you why you didn't consider other therapies? He's not that old, and heart murmus could not be a problem for other treatments.

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
May I ask you why you didn't consider other therapies? He's not that old, and heart murmus could not be a problem for other treatments.
Other therapies as in what? Iodine treatment is too expensive, we tried the methamazole, the gel form and pills..he would take it/allow it to be applied and at the 10 day mark he would get so sick..wouldn't eat or drink, would hide, vomitting for days at a time (which caused more weight loss). We tried the thyroid food, he ate it for a couple days, then refused to eat it at all, got him natural thyroid drops to add to his food (been doing that for almost 2 weeks) His murmur is enough for my vet to not want him put under to have any procedure done, including just routine teeth cleaning, so I have run thru several options at this point. He has food allergies, if he drinks his water too fast he throws up, then won't eat again for a long time (like he doesn't want to throw up, so he avoids everything) I love this little guy so much, but it is so hard for him to be carted to the vet constantly, get blood work done, Then when he gets over stressed he gets a cold...etc all as he wastes away :(

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think there are really viable "other options" for her little one, tbh Antonio. He's not coping despite the things she's tried and absolutely agree that taking him to-fro the vets so often will be distressing him more, and that distress can cause cats to throw up, so I imagine he'll be scared of going to the vets and scared of being scared of going to the vets for fear of throwing up.

Expensive or not, it seems like she's done all she can for him and it'd be kinder to let him live out his days happily before going to sleep. We're terribly selfish when it comes to letting people & pets go, even if it's best for them, because it hurts us and I know I'd struggle - I have nothing but respect for the OP here, considering breaking her own heart more to help her little one be free from pain. I don't think anyone can ask why she "hasn't done this/hasn't tried that" because she has tried so much and seen her little man deteriorate more. Sometimes it's kinder not to prolong the pain of others.

If there were another solution I'd 100% advocate for it but to me it sounds like she's tried as much as he can take, sadly.

I'm sure it's not your intention but please be aware that sometimes the way you say things can come across negatively and this is a very touchy subject. However, if you know of any treatments that are vet recommended and might give him a chance at a good quality of life, please do share these as I'm sure OP would love to know if there were any other options and the likelyhood of them working. :)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other therapies as in what? Iodine treatment is too expensive, we tried the methamazole, the gel form and pills..he would take it/allow it to be applied and at the 10 day mark he would get so sick..wouldn't eat or drink, would hide, vomitting for days at a time (which caused more weight loss). We tried the thyroid food, he ate it for a couple days, then refused to eat it at all, got him natural thyroid drops to add to his food (been doing that for almost 2 weeks) His murmur is enough for my vet to not want him put under to have any procedure done, including just routine teeth cleaning
That's terrible :(
As far as I know, the contribute of thyroid food is close to nothing. My vets didn't even consider to suggest it for my cat.
Of course, if the cat doesn't tolerate the meds and you aren't able to administer the methimazole twice daily everyday, at the correct dosage and at the same hour, it almost useless.
And the heart issues add to this situation...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it's not your intention but please be aware that sometimes the way you say things can come across negatively and this is a very touchy subject. However, if you know of any treatments that are vet recommended and might give him a chance at a good quality of life, please do share these as I'm sure OP would love to know if there were any other options and the likelyhood of them working. :)
I asked if OP had considered other options, because sometimes people aren't aware of other options.
Unfortunately HT has only three options of treatment. Radio iodine, surgery, and meds, listed in the order of success/control of the disease.
Because OP's vet has discouraged any intervention that includes sedation/anesthesia, then the only thing that remains is the meds.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A
I asked if OP had considered other options, because sometimes people aren't aware of other options.
Unfortunately HT has only three options of treatment. Radio iodine, surgery, and meds, listed in the order of success/control of the disease.
Because OP's vet has discouraged any intervention that includes sedation/anesthesia, then the only thing that remains is the meds.
As I said, I know it likely wasn't your intention to be insensitive, it just came across that way to me as you didn't mention any other treatments. It seems more a "did you even bother?" than "did you consider X, Y & Z treatment because there's evidence supporting they work".

I completely understand you were meaning it in a helpful way, it just could come across negatively because you didn't mention these other treatments, that's all. It wouldn't have been so noticeable if it wasn't such a sensitive subject but I do know you were coming from a place of concern, maybe just the way it was worded seemed a bit off to me. Not to be rude at all though, that's why I asked what these treatments were.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Kjl !

I found this story earlier today....noticed some things that raised questions for me, and then, through the day I went back and read each of your forum posts and the replies you received - all the way back to last November.

I have a few thoughts that I'll share with you...because I'm not sure that you've had the benefit of 'having all the bases covered'.

First off, about the meds you've used with him....you started him off with Methimazole tablets. Can you post back the dosage that you've used with him and include information about any change(s) that were made since starting.

Could you also post the names of any other drug(s) that he's had.

Next is a question for you: Do you know that there's a separate, specialized online community for people with Hyper-T cats that's been active for the last (almost) 20 years? And...would you be interested in putting your dilemma to them?

I suspect you're probably exhausted from all this. I've had my own share over the past three years and can empathize - it's absolutely draining.

I'll stop here and come back later this evening.

One thing...what's his name?

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kjl !

I found this story earlier today....noticed some things that raised questions for me, and then, through the day I went back and read each of your forum posts and the replies you received - all the way back to last November.

I have a few thoughts that I'll share with you...because I'm not sure that you've had the benefit of 'having all the bases covered'.

First off, about the meds you've used with him....you started him off with Methimazole tablets. Can you post back the dosage that you've used with him and include information about any change(s) that were made since starting.

Could you also post the names of any other drug(s) that he's had.

Next is a question for you: Do you know that there's a separate, specialized online community for people with Hyper-T cats that's been active for the last (almost) 20 years? And...would you be interested in putting your dilemma to them?

I suspect you're probably exhausted from all this. I've had my own share over the past three years and can empathize - it's absolutely draining.

I'll stop here and come back later this evening.

One thing...what's his name?
Thank you for taking time to respond to my post.. Sadly I had to let my boy cross the rainbow bridge this morning.. We believe he had a stroke some time last night and was just not well this .. So as to not let him suffer any longer, I took him first thing after I got home from work..

Kjl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadly and with a heavy heart, I helped my boy cross the rainbow bridge this morning. Some time last night we believe he had a stroke.. He made an attempt to jump on the bed and missed twice, wouldn't eat, only drank constantly... Then this morning he would not come out from under the bed.. Once I got him out, he had a glazed look to his eyes, a constant side cocked head, couldn't walk straight, more vomiting and was so weak. I made the decision to take him to the vet right when they opened to help him pass on. Many tears were shed but I know it was the right time to end his suffering. Thank you all for the kind words and support... I will still be here because I have two other crazy kitties that I hope will be around for a long time ❤

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm deeply sorry :(
You did what you could for him, and helped him till the end. Your cat was lucky to have you on his side.

RIP little warrior! :(

• Purraise
Reactions: Kjl

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that, Kjl. I'm glad you have two other kitties to comfort you, although I know all of you will miss him greatly.