Touched a cat on the street...can my cat get sick?

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was walking Musiaka on a leash outside as usual, when we got some company and another cat started following us and rolling on the ground in front of Musiaka. I slightly petted the cat's head (just a little scratch) and thought to myself to not pick Musiaka up before I wash my hands. However we met a dog and I had to pick him up, so I touched his fur with the hand I touched the other cat with. The cat looked well fed and well groomed, but street cats here look quite nice as everybody takes care of them, so I don't know if she's someone's cat.
Can Musiaka get sick from me touching him when he's grooming later? We walk outside everyday but I never touch other cats while with him, it just happened today.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was walking Musiaka on a leash outside as usual, when we got some company and another cat started following us and rolling on the ground in front of Musiaka. I slightly petted the cat's head (just a little scratch) and thought to myself to not pick Musiaka up before I wash my hands. However we met a dog and I had to pick him up, so I touched his fur with the hand I touched the other cat with. The cat looked well fed and well groomed, but street cats here look quite nice as everybody takes care of them, so I don't know if she's someone's cat.
Can Musiaka get sick from me touching him when he's grooming later? We walk outside everyday but I never touch other cats while with him, it just happened today.
The danger is minimal.

Its really just distemper which is that highly contagious, and could theoretically spread the virus by such a small touch...
But as he seemed healthy, the danger is really minuscule.

If your cat is vaccined the usual way, there is virtually no danger. (of course, unsworen is best, once every century does unluck happens).

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as your cat has his vaccinations, everything should be OK. Most vaccinations last much longer than they say too. A sick cat almost always hides and does not approach anyone like that. I would only worry if your cat is not vaccinated, and in that case he should be a strictly indoor cat. Most diseases are spread through fights and mating which involve blood exchange or deep bites. A good solution would be to carry a tiny bottle of sanitizer with you and clean immediately.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think my cat got fleas from being in near proximity to this cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Musiaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fleas are a real possibility. You might want to apply a topical flea medication high up on both cats necks.
I did and it seems to have gone away for Musiaka! However I don't see the other cat around anymore