Tornado Tammy - Nz's Newest!

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
image.jpeg
Hi, I'm IN NZ and now have an adorable wee female tabby kitten, Tammy! She is now about 6 weeks old. Tammy and her two brothers were rescue kittens, after some wild teenage kids sadly took to their Mum shortly after their birth! She was microchipped, spayed and vaccinated at the rescue centre, before being fostered for about a month by my son and his family.

Although I've had cats before, I've never actually had one from such a young age, so I'm having to learn right along with her! She's generally very good, litter box trained, eating well, sleeping well, plays happily. Good little cuddler, loves to jump up on my lap when she's ready, and also likes to watch my iPad screen if I'm using it while she's sitting with me. The photo is a screenshot of her sitting on my lap watching the iPad!

Apart from running up to me and climbing up my legs (ouch) the only other things I'm having problems with is to deter her from:

*Climbing up my new floor length drapes and net curtains!
*And, a new trick that just began today - jumping up onto the TV cabinet, a corner one, pushing the TV stand back, leaving her "fingerprints" on the screen- knocking over the two little plants and the remotes on each side of the telly, jumping in behind it and biting and pulling on the cords, and pulling out some Videos, CDs, DVDs, and tapes! All this in about 5-10 minutes while I was putting washing on the line! Thank goodness she hasn't yet learnt how to open the CD etc cases! Looks as though I'm going to be sorting some doors for the Cabinet, and filling in the gap at the back with some sort of cover! She's certainly going to make me keep my brain active trying to outwit the little minx! When I have to go out, I've been putting her into the laundry - it's where she sleeps at night, has her litter tray, her bed and a few toys, and it's fortunately pretty cat proof! She's safe in there, as am I and the rest of the house!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Tornado Tammy Tornado Tammy :wave3: Welcome to TCS!

Tammy is absolutely gorgeous :loveeyes: and so lucky to have found you. She sounds like she's keeping you busy, that's for sure :lol: Ah, the joys of curious kittens! (I've just taken on two furry wrecking balls myself, so I feel your pain:rolleyes: :lol:).

Why not head on over to the Behaviour forum to get some more targeted help containing her crazier activities? Adding in more cat furniture may help keep her off your curtains by giving her something appropriate to climb, and lots of interactive playtime (using wand toys or similar) should drain at least some of her energy in a positive way :winkcat: Here are some articles to get you started:-
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome ! Kittens are fun although lots of work ! Mine is now 8 months old and running around the bedroom playing with anything she knows is loud to get my attention and wake hubby up !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your lovely and friendly welcomes! My wee Tammy fur baby has been contentedly settled - nice and warm, and asleep in her wee bed now, so I've sitting by the fire and been navigating my way around this great little web-site, which is looking as if it's going to be very friendly and helpful to me! I'm off to my own warm bed now - we're well into winter here now in New Zealand and have started getting some quite severe frosts, but those have been followed by pleasant, (if a little chilly) days!

Thank you Columbine for those references, and I particularly like the Behavioural section, and will be posting something on there tomorrow. Tabbytom, I'll also look up some more photos to add. I've taken some short videos of her hijinks too, but not sure if they will post on here, but will give it a shot anyway, see how they go!

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You for your welcome GemsGem! I think she's beautiful too!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome! We're so very glad you found us. Your new baby is adorable. Feel free to post any questions that might come up, since you say you aren't experienced with young kittens. We have a LOT of members who are, some who foster, some who run rescues, and some who are just kitten fanatics.

Tornado Tammy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welcome! We're so very glad you found us. Your new baby is adorable. Feel free to post any questions that might come up, since you say you aren't experienced with young kittens. We have a LOT of members who are, some who foster, some who run rescues, and some who are just kitten fanatics.
Thank you for your welcome Mamany! I love your Neil Gaiman quotation. I would have to change to last part to "convince my kitten that "curtains and drapes are not there for her to run up and wreck"