Torn nail- How do I wrap his foot

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my boy tore his nail partway off while falling off some boxes. No blood & he is fine except when I go to touch that paw. My vet is closed until the morning so I called the emergency vet... they said to wrap his foot so he doesnt mess with it until I can go to the regular vet but BOY IS THIS HARDER THAN IT SOUNDS! How on earth do i get something to stay on his foot? tried taping a sock & taping guaze, but he ripped or kicked it off. if i can't get something on his foot should i just clean it before bed, and then again in the morning with peroxide? I am just worried about him using the litter with it hanging like that :/
20210205_204615.jpg

will update once he gets to a regular vet

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
No blood & he is fine
If there's no blood and I think it's ok if you carefully take a nail clipper and snip off the dangling part avoiding the quick (blood vessel) so that it doesn't bleed. Just be very careful when you do this. Get someone to help you hold the cat while you perform this so that it's easier and quicker than doing it by yourself.

After you've clipped the loose part off, file down the rough edges. Just standby some plain flour just in case you clip the quick. If it bleeds, dip the nail into the flour to stop the bleeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! wasn't sure if i should mess with it or not, I will clip that part off & just call the vet in the morning to see if I should be cleaning it

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If there's no bleeding, I wouldn't worry that much. As long as he's walking fine and the paw is not bothering him.

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness! it popped off right when i went to trim it. it was just part of a sheath that was alot chunkier than normal & i think came off before its time because the rest of his nail is messy & doesn't look too good. Still no blood. He had me so worried 😂

Cutegrapefrute

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i thought it was alot more of his nail, i think i may be confusing words for some of the anatomy, but it seemed a lot worse underneath than it actually is after seeing it come off

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
i thought it was alot more of his nail, i think i may be confusing words for some of the anatomy, but it seemed a lot worse underneath than it actually is after seeing it come off
Yea, could be just the sheath. They come in different thickness. Sometimes the tip of the nail is a little rough or jagged, just file it off for them.