tooth brushing?!

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two cat will not take to tooth brushing via the recommended slow method so I've been scruffing them against the floor (gently, not aggressively) and just going for it. anyone else also have this issue?! I'm adding Plaque-Off to their food and Dental Fresh to their water. Do these products actually work? My 3yo already had a dental this year and will likely need them yearly but I am trying to avoid anymore tooth extractions in the future.....

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If I understand you correctly by scruffing do you mean rubbing them against the floor? If so, I would strongly advise against that method. Instead please refer to these two TCS Articles that will have some helpful information and suggestions for you:
How To Brush Your Cat’s Teeth – TheCatSite Articles
Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat’s Teeth? – TheCatSite Articles

In addition, here's a thread which discusses preventing tartar build-up:
I need tips on keeping tarter from building up

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I understand you correctly by scruffing do you mean rubbing them against the floor? If so, I would strongly advise against that method. Instead please refer to these two TCS Articles that will have some helpful information and suggestions for you:
How To Brush Your Cat’s Teeth – TheCatSite Articles
Does Dry Food Actually Clean Your Cat’s Teeth? – TheCatSite Articles

In addition, here's a thread which discusses preventing tartar build-up:
I need tips on keeping tarter from building up
I don't rub her against the floor. I just have her laying on her side and scruff her neck to get her mouth open a bit

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't rub her against the floor. I just have her laying on her side and scruff her neck to get her mouth open a bit
Thanks for the explanation, you had me worried there for a minute.

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the explanation, you had me worried there for a minute.
I can see where that can be worrisome! But yeah no rubbing against floor. Just careful restraint. She tried to move away from the brush but that's why I work fast to get it over with. I mean, I guess it's better than not brushing her teeth at all.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a tough time with this, as well. One of my cats loves to chew things so she loves chewing on the toothbrush, and I try to get some actual brushing in, too.

The other one wouldn't let me near his face for the longest time, so there was no way I could brush. But now I can get a toothbrush in his mouth at least. We're working on it. The biggest problem is me--I'm not in the habit of brushing their teeth, so I forget to do it. :cringe:

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a tough time with this, as well. One of my cats loves to chew things so she loves chewing on the toothbrush, and I try to get some actual brushing in, too.

The other one wouldn't let me near his face for the longest time, so there was no way I could brush. But now I can get a toothbrush in his mouth at least. We're working on it. The biggest problem is me--I'm not in the habit of brushing their teeth, so I forget to do it. :cringe:
Honestly same. That's why I'm hoping the water additive will help 😂 restraining against the floor is the only way I get a toothbrush in their mouths. But they recover fast and are loving as always

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What tootbrush do you have? A small cat sized brush works best. There are finger brushes you can try as well. A cotton swab / q tip also works.

What toothpaste are you using? Some just aren't very tasty to cats despite being flavored with tuna or catnip or other things. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular with many cats.

avni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What tootbrush do you have? A small cat sized brush works best. There are finger brushes you can try as well. A cotton swab / q tip also works.

What toothpaste are you using? Some just aren't very tasty to cats despite being flavored with tuna or catnip or other things. CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular with many cats.
Sentry! She likes the taste and will eat it off a plate, but she HATES being touched around the mouth. I tried working up to it, no luck.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just get them used to having their mouths touched by touching it gently as much as possible. If your cats already have gingivitis unfortunately they will always hate having their teeth brushed. That's because it's painful especially if they have really bad teeth. If there teeth are really bad i'd suggest getting a dental cleaning first and then work on the brushing. You can use aloe vera inner fillet (only the inner fillet) to help with gingivitis if its just a bit of that. Just a tiny bit with a qtip on the gums once daily helps. Unfortunately some cats are just prone to dental issues. My boys had juvenile gingivitis. Fynn had his dental cleaning at one year old, and Jetty will need one next year for sure. Ceriah is ok, some gingivitis but not much.