Took In 1 Of 4 Colony Siblings

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I hope I am posting this in the right section LOL. I have TNRed four siblings over a yr ago. I watch over them, worm them feed them etc....I noticed one the females was very thin here about a month ago. I trapped her with ease took her to the vet and she was tested for all of the bad things. She was wormed also. She has a clean bill of health. And the vet said she doesn't think she is underweight for her size. I noticed some others have moved into my colony recently. They are ear tipped. But they are larger then her and chase her off sometimes. I watch over them all and try to feed them in different locations. I have a domestic 6 yr old female at home now. I am struggling with the decision to put her back out with her siblings or just keep her. I cannot take on all 4 plus my 1. Maybe just her if all works out with my kitty.
I guess I have been noticing the one sibling she was bonded with is hanging around looking lost with out her. Is this possible he misses his sister? Am I doing the right thing? She has been in a trap for 3 days now. She is eating, pooping and very affectionate with me but is meowing like crazy. Since she has a clean bill of health and a decent colony situation should I just rerelease her? I am struggling with the decision. If things don't work out with all the patience and time I have to deal with to introduce her to my female at home, what will I do??? A lot of questions I know. I have never done this before. Had a colony to take care of or this situation. Thank you for any opinions :)

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can take her in, that will give her the best chance at a good life. There are a lot of good youtube video's on how to socialize feral cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you can take her in, that will give her the best chance at a good life. There are a lot of good youtube video's on how to socialize feral cats.
Thank you! I am a little nervous about it not working out. I will be going away most weekends in July also. Guess I am apprehensive about leaving my feral in a room by herself for 2 days when she is new to being indoors. My cat can handle me being away for a day or two. I just feel guilty not taking in her sibling brother that is always with her. He seems lonely now. Or it could just be me being emotionally over sensitive to the situation :/

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a possibility of taking her brother in too? He probably does miss her.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blessings on you for caring about them all. It might not be a bad thing for her to have some time alone during the first few weeks of "captivity." As long as she has food, water and poopy powder and the room is secure, she might enjoy the solitude.

Re: her brother, if you think they are bonded, they may make the adjustment to indoor life more easily if they are together. Of course, this give you three cats, instead of two! That has to be your decision. I would watch him closely, though, if he stays at the colony, to make sure he stays safe.

Any possibility that you can make a catio or small enclosure for them? That might solve all the problems.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trust me I would love to take him in also. The other two sibs seem to be loving the colony life. I hardly ever see them in the mornings since hunting season has hit with the warm weather. But the two in question are always usually a sure thing in the morn. He won't let me touch him like she did. It might be tough catching him. My boyfriend who's house I live in is not happy about 2 cats let alone 3. Not sure if he will go for that. Our house is in a decent neighborhood but on a busy little street or I would of moved my colony (while it was just 4) to our home. They would get hit by a car for sure eventually. The colony is in a decent area. Lots of woods and fields and hunkering down options for the winter months. The male sibling is a very docile chill little guy. Rolls over and stretches when he sees me. I would love to take him in. Maybe eventually...I have to see how this all goes for now in my tiny house. Thank you though for all of the opinions and suggestions.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blessings on you for caring about them all. It might not be a bad thing for her to have some time alone during the first few weeks of "captivity." As long as she has food, water and poopy powder and the room is secure, she might enjoy the solitude.

Re: her brother, if you think they are bonded, they may make the adjustment to indoor life more easily if they are together. Of course, this give you three cats, instead of two! That has to be your decision. I would watch him closely, though, if he stays at the colony, to make sure he stays safe.

Any possibility that you can make a catio or small enclosure for them? That might solve all the problems.
For keeping them outdoors? Catio or enclosure?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand, ease the boyfriend into the cat acquisitions one at a time. :)

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:(:(
I understand, ease the boyfriend into the cat acquisitions one at a time. :)
I surely am going to try. Loving these 4 has turned my life into an unrelaxing time when I am not with them. I worry about them constantly. I just put my 17 yr old dog Bubbles to sleep 7 months ago. It seems my love has jumped ship to kitties. I am now the crazy cat lady

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like her brother is missing his sister and looking for her. She is clearly ready to come out of her trap, and may be missing her brother as well.

Can you move her out of the trap and into a room?

I also agree that you should trap the brother and bring him in with his sister. It sounds like he's a little lost out there.

I hope you can convince your boyfriend, even if it is a temporary situation and you end up needing to rehome them as a bonded pair.

Thank you for looking out for this colony!

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was in a spare bedroom for the last 3 days. Today I borrowed a huge metal dog crate and moved her to a larger quieter room in my home. She now has room walk around, have a full litter box, her hide n seek cardboard box with comfy blanket, food and and water. She is adjusting fine. I Spent some quality time with her tonight. She is completely submissive and loving.
As far as her brother, I will see how my house cat reacts with this one first then go from there. I will monitor him everyday. He does have 2 others that are there. Tomorrow or friday I will let her explore her room. I am taking it slowy. :) thanks again for the great advice and feedback. Keep you posted.

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope all goes well. It is best to do introductions slowly.
She has been meowing a lot since last night. Usually when I leave the room. But then calms down. She is anxious to get out of the cage now already. I will cat proof the room tonight and let her out of the big pen for a little bit at a time and see how she does with the windows. I don't want her hurting herself. I will hold off on introductions for a while. I have been petting both and then exchanging smells on my hands. I will do the feeding on opposite sides of a closed door after the new one gets used to her new room. Definitely want this to work out so I will go as slow as I can. I just don't want the new one to get bored and lonely in her room. She is adjusting well it seems. She is a happy little girl...just a meower when left alone after my visits :(

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Regular glass bedroom windows with blinds. She just went from a trap to a large cage. I am taking baby steps like I have read about on here in the forums. I will let her cruise around the room by herself for little supervised bits at a time to make sure she is comfortable being indoors. I work 8 hours a day so I cannot have her tearing things up or possibly hurting herself until I know she is happy and content with being indoors. Then I will let her have free roam of her bedroom. I have heard ferals may have a tendency to throw themselves at glass windows trying to get out. This is why I am using caution and taking it slowly. I captured her Sunday night so it hasn't been a week yet that she has been indoors. She is eating and drinking and using her litter box with out any problems. I think she is realizing being indoors is a safe life already :)

julie310

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on little feral....I went home yesterday and opened the pen gate and encouraged her out. She cruised around the room for a short time. Sticking to me like a lost lonely little ferret with her tail between her legs. I put her back in after 15 mins. I had some stuff to get done around my house. Later on I went in there and tried again for a bit. She is not feeling comfortable at all. It took me sometime to coax her out of the pen. Then she was okay for a bit. Then she got so scared she flew around the room meowing a very scary meow. It took me 5 minutes to get her back in the pen. I tried to associate with her this morning for a bit before work. She is not coming out of the box. I am thinking she may never feel comfortable. Could she smell my other cat and be completely terrified? And how do I know if she may never be a good candidate for being inside? My vet told me some ferals come around and sometimes its a complete nightmare and doesn't work out. What does this mean? I am willing to do my best but do not want her to have a longer miserable life inside then a happy free shorter life outside where she was free but sometimes unsafe. I also don't want my cat and myself to be miserable either. I know that sounds selfish :( has anyone out here ever had to put a feral back out because things didn't work out? And will they be excepted again? Not trying to throw in the towel yet. I will be home all weekend doing my best....but if there is little improvement I maybe reversing my decision. Thanks for any input.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
It takes time, love, patience and routine. Best is get her to trust you first and do the slow introduction to your other cat later. She must have total trust in you and therefore you have to spend more time with her winning her over. Just do not rush things.

After she has totally trusted you, then do the proper introduction. I posted the articles for you in my post above - post #5.