Too late to change?

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello - I've had my cats for about 4-1/2 years - I got them from a rescue at 6 months. I don't know their exact history before I adopted them, but they were possibly born feral or outdoors or taken from their mother too soon. They were super skittish and it took months of working with them to bring them around and earn their trust. They still have their quirks, but are otherwise pretty pleasant house cats to have around. Both like to sit in laps, accept love/attention/pets and enjoy being around us. Navi, the girl, is still fearful and hides when strangers are around. And she is also hyper food focused. We can't leave food out on the counter or she will try to snatch it - even if it's something she doesn't really like.

My question is about Link, the boy. He's actually the more social of the two. He's very tactile - he's apt to put out a paw when you walk by - sort of to say hi. (He's learned to keep his claws in most of the time) He'll "dolphin" up to your hand for a pet if you put your hand out and after you give him a pet I can pick him up with him facing away from me and he'll stretch his whole body out with his front legs stretched to the sky. The one thing that he hasn't gotten over is a hand directly in front of his face. If you try to pet him from the front - he'll likely nip. Or if he's in your lap, despite being a total cuddly guy who settles in and loves being cuddled - if you somehow get your hand/arm in front of his face he'll try to bite. The cats sleep with us at night and a few times I thought he was Navi and reached out to pet him and got a bite. (I don't do that anymore lol).

Is it too late to help cure him of this trait? If it's possible to still work with him on this, what would the experts here suggest?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s never too late. First, if you know what triggers a bite, I would avoid it but if he does nip or looks ready to so so give him a stare and loud firm “ DO NOT BITE” and then leave him immediately. You will need to repeat this every time and It may take many many repetitions but it should work.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't add much to that. At least you know what his trigger is...a hand in front of his face. And if he came from a feral, dump, or hording situation, he probably has reason to fear hands in front of his face.