Too Heavy?

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
We aren't exactly sure about this weight, but we think Moon weighs 15-16 lbs. He is a black DSH and 3 years old.
When we only had 2 cats, he ate most of the wet food, but now we have 4, so he might be eating less. Is he too overweight, or should he be okay?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Just like with people, a cat's weight alone doesn't give you an accurate measure of body condition, because cats have different lengths from nose to tail and leg lengths. The "rib feel" test is the most accurate way to assess a cat's body condition. Ideally, you should be able to feel the ribs under a small layer of muscle and fat, but not see them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
How does he look?
He looks most like the overweight one. If you feel his ribs, they are harder to feel, and there is a little bit of fat in between. It is also hard to feel his spine. He needs to loose a pound or two, but I think he'll be alright.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be easier to diet him at 3 years old than when he's older. My 13 year old is a little over 15 pounds and should be around 13. I'm having a hard time getting the weight off him at his age.

So cut the food back a little at a time and get him in shape while he's still young. He'll live longer and healthier with fewer vet bills. :catrub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It's just tough to cut back on the food since we are feeding three other cats at the same time.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It's just tough to cut back on the food since we are feeding three other cats at the same time.
I know. My senior got fat because his skinny brother refused one day to eat anything but kibble for his last few years and wouldn't eat anything alone in a separate room...so we went off a healthy wet food diet for both of them...and the senior blimped up like a balloon.

Now my kitten eats in the bathroom and the senior eats a lower fat diet in the kitchen. Timed meals, separate areas.

Do your best to work something out. :catrub: