Too Hard To Find A Decent Cat Tree!

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you looked at this website?

The Best Cat Furniture and Cat Trees - Kitty Mansions

I've had the Redwood for a few years now and it's held up great with my 2 cats. Guests always remark how it looks much nicer than your standard, carpeted cat condo. If I had more space in my home, I'd also get the Amazon and/or the Mount Hood.

The website is having a nice little sale right now too so good time to buy!
I wish I could get one of these!!! The Sydney & the Houston are the only ones within my price range, though :(

This thread is fantastic :D Who knew there were so many sources for cat trees?!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I built mine. I recently got two kittens and decided buying prices were too crazy so I built
a small (3-4ft) one for about 10$. I left idea spots for when they get older so I can build around it and mount this to a bigger piece. They love it so farView attachment 186204
I'm impressed, that's a serious cat tree right there! Have you added height to it, yet?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it bad that I still don't have a cat tree? I'm not fond of those carpet/cardboard platforms cat trees that are within my price range, and the ones that I do fancy are the expensive ones. Because they are made from wood & are aesthetically pleasing. I'd like a hideaway at the top or near the top instead of the bottom like the Lotus Cat tower, and I just can't seem to find any.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it bad that I still don't have a cat tree? I'm not fond of those carpet/cardboard platforms cat trees that are within my price range, and the ones that I do fancy are the expensive ones. Because they are made from wood & are aesthetically pleasing. I'd like a hideaway at the top or near the top instead of the bottom like the Lotus Cat tower, and I just can't seem to find any.
I don’t know about bad, but I’m sure your kittie would appreciate the extra height! My beef with these carpetleas aesthetic trees, is that cats can’t use their claws when they jump and climb. It doesn’t look either safe or natural to me. I might be wrong :)

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t know about bad, but I’m sure your kittie would appreciate the extra height! My beef with these carpetleas aesthetic trees, is that cats can’t use their claws when they jump and climb. It doesn’t look either safe or natural to me. I might be wrong :)
He technically has my bookshelves but they are only about 13" tall, and so the height of the Lotus is appealing to me. You do bring up a good point about their claws which is something I've never really taken notice off because when my cat jumps, he doesn't use his. I've never really seen him climb.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He technically has my bookshelves but they are only about 13" tall, and so the height of the Lotus is appealing to me. You do bring up a good point about their claws which is something I've never really taken notice off because when my cat jumps, he doesn't use his. I've never really seen him climb.
Maybe with something higher he will need to use his claws :) My kittens jump and latch on to the surface with their claws to sucure their landing. I can only imagine they will do the same with the tree I ordered, given how tall it is! Even when they are fully grown.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I figured so I'm looking for something really tall lol I'm sorry, I don't know if you've mentioned this but which tree did you order? You'll have to let me know if it up to your standards, and your kitties!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I figured so I'm looking for something really tall lol I'm sorry, I don't know if you've mentioned this but which tree did you order? You'll have to let me know if it up to your standards, and your kitties!
I didn’t say! An Armartrak, I dont remember the model but it’s 68” high and looks pretty sturdy. I will let you know!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had the same thought about the carpet-less trees and not being able to use their claws. Also; will they scratch at it and ruin the finish? I guess it depends on the tree and the cat. I have seen front paw declawed cats use cat trees though. So maybe it's not that big of a concern; but I can't say from experience. I have an Armarkat tree that's got to be around 10 years old now and it's in great shape. My girls prefer horizontal cardboard scratchers; so they haven't torn up the sisal or anything like that.

shiddlesnbits

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm impressed, that's a serious cat tree right there! Have you added height to it, yet?
I'm planning to this weekend. My persian is certainly not a climber but the other is so I wanted time to let their abilities develop so I could build accordingly. Shiddles loves laying in boxes but sissy will climb anything. So I thinking widening it with a sleeping area for shiddles and increasing the height for sissy will work.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We just received the Ultimate Scratching post! And I got the additional platform for them to hang out. They adopted it right away. Con: the platform isn’t stable.
Oh, how adorable! And thanks for saying that it isn't stable. I've been eyeing that since it's got great reviews on Amazon and I currently have this one which I think is too short and not stable at all. I literally have to hold it while my cat scratches it so it doesn't topple over.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
H himawari the post is very stable, it’s the top platform with the red cushion that isn’t. You buy it separately and it’s made specifically for that post, but unless I missed something, it should have an extra latch or something so it doesn’t slide off. The post alone is really heavy and well thought. I’m curious to see how it holds when they’re adults!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMG_4795.JPG IMG_4794.JPG
Here's a couple pictures of my "cat room"! From left to right. The first little one someone actually seen me with a cat tree at Wal-Mart and gave the top portion to me. The tunnel and scratching post. My maine coon used it as a scratching post and he would sling it around the room. I recovered it myself and when I did I covered the board that it's mounted to, to give it some weight so he couldn't move it. It with stood a 25lb maine coon for years!

The second I bought recently at Pet Smart. I caught it on sale for I think $115. It's chip board with a high quality carpet covered on top only. The scratching post are solid wood. I think it's 54" or may be 57". Not sure. It's made by Whisker City.

The center tree is made by Frisco and I got it at Chewy.com. It had good reviews. All the Frisco trees did and I got it on sale for around $70 I think. It's 72" high. It's made out of press board and the carpet quality is decent. If I remember right the post are solid wood. It took me about an hour to put it together. The bottom of the perches and the walls of the little houses are not carpeted but all the surfaces that come in contact with paws are.

The fourth one over is built like a tank and I've had it awhile so not real sure on price but I think it was around $50. The scratching post is a 4 x 4. It's carpeted completely. Top, bottom and inside the house with a high grade carpet. I think it's around 32" and I got it at Wayfair. I got it for my maine coon but he had no interest in it. I just stuck it in the room to tie the trees together.

The last one on the right is another Whisker City from Pet Smart. It's 63" and I think I caught it on sale for around $115 also. It may have been a little more. It has a high grade carpet and is completely covered except for the very bottom perch on the bottom. Scratching post are solid wood.

My concept here was to enable my cat to go from one window to the other without touching the floor. I bought the 2 trees in the window from pet smart because I wanted to see it in person before I bought them. Those were the best one's I found in any stores. The 72" tree from Frisco I bought by reviews and I knew that Manny wouldn't use it more than likely so I figured if it was crap it wouldn't really matter. The 2 in the windows I knew he would use because he likes to look out of the windows and was more concerned with quality.

My original intent was to build my own trees but I had to scratch that due to time issues and I kinda needed them right now. I figure by the time I bought the wood and my time it would have cost about the same. I needed cat trees for a big cat since Manny is about 20lbs and I plan on getting another Maine Coon and he could wind up at 25lbs. I was concerned about the size of the perches of the cat trees in front of the windows but oddly enough he seems to prefer the smaller one but he does alternate between the 2 windows.

As far as quality they are all well built when you factor in price. The small gray one is made the best. Like I said. It's built like a tank! The 2 Whisker City in the windows are really well made but pricier. The big one in the center is the lowest quality but for the price I would rate it 5 stars. Note that the Frisco tree was offered with 2 different bases and I opted for the large base. Even the little one on the left is sturdy and withstood 16yrs of a Maine Coon. They have no problem handling Manny's size and barely moved when he goes up and down them. I would have no problem recommending any of them.

All total in that room including the cat wheel is about $500. Here's a pic of Manny in the small perch and probably his favorite tree of all in front of the kitchen door! Go figure! :lol: Hope this helps.
0611171307-00.jpg IMG_4785.JPG

Last edited:

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was able to get the 72 inch Frisco cream cat tree for $55 when it went on a super sale one day. It was super easy to assemble by myself and has been extremely sturdy under the duress of my two 7mo cats chasing each other up and down it nonstop. If your'e looking for cheap but quality, I'd go with Frisco when it's on sale.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's pretty amazing, sabian sabian . I can't afford that just yet (and I live with roommates who wouldn't appreciate the invasion anyway), but my dream is also to create a jungle of some sort so they can jump and climb from here to there. That's why that brand Catastrophic Creations is so perfect.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nobody's mentioned these yet so I will: Molly and Friends cat trees. They're a tad pricey, but very sturdy and they work for large cats. Before that I had a standard tree that you find at Petco, and it was always shaky and finally fell apart one day. The one I got is really well designed; my cats use every square inch of it.

If I didn't want to go the expensive tree route, I'd probably install a lot of wall shelves and make sure they're well attached to studs and carpeted on top, and provide some hideaways and lounge spots like hammocks under chairs. Of course there's always the option of doing both :-).

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
November - and especially Black Friday, and Cyber Monday - are great times to find good deals on cat furniture.

I always make sure that most of the 'platforms' have raised edges. My first cat would routinely fall asleep and slide off, from the top one of the tree I had at that time. So I won't buy any with only flat platforms.

Be sure to check these:
Chewy.com
Dr Foster & Smith
That Pet Place
Jeffers Pets
Overstock.com

You can also use Google and Search: cat tree sale

I think you can also put in hardwood, or what details you want. Not sure how good those results will be, as it depends on whether the posting site made those details searchable.