Too attached to me?

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! 

I think my little Iris may be too attached to me 
 We got her when she was around 7-8 weeks I'm guessing, the lady never knew the exact day they were born and she is right at about 4 months now. The issue I am having with her is when I leave the house, even if my boyfriend is there she paces the house for a little while and makes her little squeaky meows. She follows me around the house, which I think is adorable but I'm starting to get worried about her. Even about 50% of the time, if i go to the bathroom and shut the door she still cries for me to come out. I know I replaced the role as mama to her, and we may have gotten her a bit too early so could that be the reason why? She has recently figured out "Ohh, when mama leaves I can stare at her through the window and make her feel terrible for leaving!" 
 I wish there was something I could do to just lessen her anxiety when I leave but I'm not sure what to do. I know it's a good idea to get another kitten, and we could have when we got her from the same litter but we just didn't have the money to pay 2 vet bills. We are planning on adopting another in the future, but money wise right now we can't. 

She still sucks on fuzzy blankets, so I'm sure we got her too early..I just feel bad knowing when I go to work she is just crying for me to come back. Luckily I work right around the corner from where I live so at lunch I come home and get to spend a hour with her but have to leave again for a few hours. I try to put a shirt or something that smells like me on the bed and couch but I'm not sure what else can be done, if even anything? We have the front door, and a separate door in front of that with a window and when I leave to get the mail or something she stares out of the window the whole time meowing. She tries really hard to get out the front door whether we are going in or out now and almost got hit by a truck yesterday because she ran into the parking lot..I don't know if shes trying to hard to get out because she knows we leave and wants to be where we are, or just generally wants to be outside. I'm just worried about her, worrying about me! Lol. Is there anything I can maybe try?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Leaving her with something of your scent is a great idea. Does she have a stuffed animal buddy or something to snuggle?

A feliway diffuser might help her to feel a bit more calm and secure.

Are you going to have her spayed soon? That may also help with her trying to get out.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@talkingpeanut  has great advise. You need to get a feliway diffuser to use. This will help calm her down.

She is old enough to be spayed and that needs to be a priority because she is old enough to go into heat and if she gets outside can end up pregnant. It will also help to settle her down.

I don't know what it is with cats and bathrooms but all my cats have accompanied me in the bathroom.

As she gets older she will settle down but being so young she probably has separation anxiety but she will grow out of that soon. I know it's upsetting to you but it is like having a toddler at home and having to go to work.

Best of luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leaving her with something of your scent is a great idea. Does she have a stuffed animal buddy or something to snuggle?

A feliway diffuser might help her to feel a bit more calm and secure.

Are you going to have her spayed soon? That may also help with her trying to get out.
I've thought about getting her a stuffed animal, but have been a little scared too because I don't want her to chew anything off of it so I'm trying to find something safe 
 I've heard of those diffusers but didn't know if they worked, next time I go to the pet store I will look into them! We are getting her spayed, just have to call the vet to see how old exactly she has to be first because I wasn't too sure and thought she was still too young right now, but it will definitely be getting done!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A second cat will definitely help so look into that when your finances are in better shape
You don't need to pay two vet bills at once. You can stagger the annual check up visit so that you can afford to pay each bill in full. Apart from the initial vet visit and vaccinations for kittens, most cats don't need to go to the vet unless they are sick or injured.

Leroy was really clingy when he was a kitten. Part of it was because he's an Aby, a social breed that loves to be around people. When Leroy was 6 months old I adopted a similar age cat. Leroy was much happier with having a friend to play with. He still demanded attention from me but it was much less.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought about getting her a stuffed animal, but have been a little scared too because I don't want her to chew anything off of it so I'm trying to find something safe :)  I've heard of those diffusers but didn't know if they worked, next time I go to the pet store I will look into them! We are getting her spayed, just have to call the vet to see how old exactly she has to be first because I wasn't too sure and thought she was still too young right now, but it will definitely be getting done!
Get one that's safe for human babies and it should be fine! Amazon has good pricing for feliway. And most vets will spay at 2lbs / 2 months old. She should be more than ready.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teejay89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all! I am really going to check out that diffuser very soon and get her a stuffed animal. For some reason I thought she had to be 6 months to get spayed, but if she can get it now I will call them asap! It really is like having a kid in so many ways!

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've seen new stuffed animals for kittens in particular, they have a little button you press and it plays a heartbeat sound. I think maybe Kong brand?