Tom cat problems

havecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, he's a handsome big boy! The tabby on the right is a cutie. Looks like they are interested in interacting with one another. It will just take some time. Also, I once tried to put a harness on a cat that I had rescued that used to be outside and was inside. I made the mistake of thinking maybe she would like to be outside in the back. She freaked out, and was actually able to get out of the harness. I was able to catch her and take her inside right away. Needless to say, we didn't try that again!

richo1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I once tried to put a harness on a cat that I had rescued that used to be outside and was inside. I made the mistake of thinking maybe she would like to be outside in the back. She freaked out, and was actually able to get out of the harness. I was able to catch her and take her inside right away. Needless to say, we didn't try that again!
I think walking a cat in a harness is risky I had a cat freak out and escape from a harness about half mile from home,:eek2: luckily the cat had done the route before and found his own way home.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awwwww, he's a handsome big boy! The tabby on the right is a cutie. Looks like they are interested in interacting with one another. It will just take some time. Also, I once tried to put a harness on a cat that I had rescued that used to be outside and was inside. I made the mistake of thinking maybe she would like to be outside in the back. She freaked out, and was actually able to get out of the harness. I was able to catch her and take her inside right away. Needless to say, we didn't try that again!
He gets on with the tabby cat just fine it's the relationship with mother's old ginger cat is the problem lots of insane wailing/growling and looking under the door I had to take the door handle off because he was rattling it and they would have met. But, he's in the garage now so no longer a problem

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought my ginger cat was large but yours is massive I think it belongs in a zoo
Poky little zoos are horrible places wildlife parks are better at least the animals can move around. The only hiccups I'm having with him currently are his relationship with pigeons , my lawn looks like there's been a pillow fight and getting his flea stuff on.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Poky little zoos are horrible places wildlife parks are better at least the animals can move around. The only hiccups I'm having with him currently are his relationship with pigeons , my lawn looks like there's been a pillow fight and getting his flea stuff on.
Try playing with him outside or in the garage. Da Bird is really the best toy for cats who prefer air prey. Wear him out, play until he pants. Try at least one 20 minute hard session a day to see if it helps.

How far along did you get with socializing him? There are several specially made collars online that are meant to warn the bird by sight so that it can get away.

You can try bells, but you’ll have to change the bell regularly, as cats can lean how to walk/stalk to prevent a specific bell from making noise, so you have to do a constant rotation.

A bell should help, but only slightly, as birds pay more attention to visual warnings than auditory ones.

Just make sure the collar is a breakaway.

You might also see improvement after neutering. Do you have plans for that soon?

Letch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try playing with him outside or in the garage. Da Bird is really the best toy for cats who prefer air prey. Wear him out, play until he pants. Try at least one 20 minute hard session a day to see if it helps.

How far along did you get with socializing him? There are several specially made collars online that are meant to warn the bird by sight so that it can get away.

You can try bells, but you’ll have to change the bell regularly, as cats can lean how to walk/stalk to prevent a specific bell from making noise, so you have to do a constant rotation.

A bell should help, but only slightly, as birds pay more attention to visual warnings than auditory ones.

Just make sure the collar is a breakaway.

You might also see improvement after neutering. Do you have plans for that soon?
I'm keen to reduce the amount of pigeon carnage on my lawn so I will implement your suggestions, I haven't played with him since he's had access to outside. I will have to play in the garage because he goes nuts with da bird type toys and won't let them go, he pulls it and the string or elastic breaks, actually the elastic is dangerous because it broke once and it slapped him in the face giving him a runny eye, but that's ok now.

Unfortunately his social skills are not quite up to collars yet but he's getting there very slowly

I will also up his daily food intake to eight cat food sachets per day, perhaps that will make less keen to hunt

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm keen to reduce the amount of pigeon carnage on my lawn so I will implement your suggestions, I haven't played with him since he's had access to outside. I will have to play in the garage because he goes nuts with da bird type toys and won't let them go, he pulls it and the string or elastic breaks, actually the elastic is dangerous because it broke once and it slapped him in the face giving him a runny eye, but that's ok now.

Unfortunately his social skills are not quite up to collars yet but he's getting there very slowly

I will also up his daily food intake to eight cat food sachets per day, perhaps that will make less keen to hunt
Maybe try treat puzzles too. It might make him feel somewhat like he is hunting, plus it’s just general mental stimulation for him.

Did he never hunt birds before now?