Tom cat problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letch

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks now and I have a question. Does playing with a unsociable cat really help? Playtime ends with the cat running off with the toy and growling insanely. Not sure if this is the best thing.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Reaction score
It's been a few weeks now and I have a question. Does playing with a unsociable cat really help? Playtime ends with the cat running off with the toy and growling insanely. Not sure if this is the best thing.
Yes it helps. And the cat running off with the toy and growling is just him pretending he has caught his prey and defending his catch. Just let him have it and he will leave it in a few minutes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Letch

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
"There appears a growing consensus here that the current playtime regime should continue, so I have purchased some more toys for him to destroy today. I think we are making progress but there are still a lot of bad behaviours that need moderating

Dave Watchman

TCS Member
Kitten
Reaction score
Since he"s been home his problems are numerous like antisocial if you put food down he will growl while eating and lay into your leg if you hang around, peeing on the old mattress in his room and laying in it . So a beginners guide to pacifying angry cats would be appreciated
I'm also trying to tame a large black Tom cat on my back deck.

I notice a couple differences between yours and mine.

Yours does look like a very handsom cat, but I would agree with this:

(most true ferals are not aggressive so he probably started life as a pet)
My Tom is probably a true feral. Mine won't play. I wave a mouse on a stick around and he just doesn't get the plan.

Your cat is laying there like a house cat. Comfortable with his legs out.

My cat won't lay like that. My cat sits at attention. As soon as he hears me open the door to come out on the deck, he's ready to run. He won't bite if i try to pet him, he just looks surprised and runs away.

My cat is not evil. But everything is a surprise for him. My cat acts like he's never been pet, never been played with and never been touched by a human.

This is after 6 months.

So I bet you just need to be patient, and give him more time.

That's what I hope with mine.

But I wonder if I tame him for me, will he be tame for the Vet when I take him to be fixed?